PDA

View Full Version : I'm a n00b...

tjZ06
10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Well I just signed up today so I thought Id make the obligatory n00b post. A little background: I was VERY into the hobby until about 8 or 9 years ago. I started out with a Tamiya HiLux and then graduated to a team Losi XXT. The XXT went through several iterations, but by the time I was getting out of the hobby it had carbon fiber or titanium EVERYTHING, high end electronics, 2 full sets of shocks so I could quickly switch between a full dirt setup and a "road" setup, etc, etc.

I got out of the hobby around 16 when I got into "real" cars. Once I got my '72 RS Camaro the XXT just sat and by the time I was 18 I had moved to a '99 Z/28 and sold the XXT to fund an exhaust for it. I've been heavily into AutoX and some road course racing since then, and I tell you I wish any of my cars had the ease of adjustability/tune-ability of my XXT (it's a little tougher and a lot more expensive to change my shock valving for example, LoL).

I have no intention of getting out of racing real cars... but the RC bug has bit me again. A few of my buddies are getting into it and one of my house mates just picked up a TC4. I'm going to check out and probably buy a MT2 later today (used) for something to get me going again while I get back up to speed on what's what in the RC world.

My current "toys" include: '97 Trans Am - Wanna buy it!?! '97 Z28 - To be built into ESP or CMC car. '06 Lexus IS250 - Slow DD '02 Corvette Z06 - 450RWHP of OSP Madness.

Hopefully my toy list will have some RC cars soon! So tell me what the best car out there to plop a C5 body on and make a replica of my Z06 is? Thanks!

-TJ
http://www.norcal-ls1.com/multimedia/data/500/296tj_animation1.gif

NotWalkinBlind
10-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Dude... we don't allow people who use words like "iterations" here. It makes our head hurt.
:D
Just kidding... welcome to the jungle.

As far as your question, I'd go with a TC4.

tjZ06
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Dude... we don't allow people who use words like "iterations" here. It makes our head hurt.
:D
Just kidding... welcome to the jungle.

As far as your question, I'd go with a TC4.

Sorry, my education/background is Computer Science even though I'm a sales dirt-bag now. :teacher::roll2: Haha.

Anyway, after driving my housemate's TC4 and checking it out it seems like a very nice car. I'm amazed how RTR's have become the thing these days, and just how nice a ~$250 RTR can be! I'm tempted by brushless technology though... being the nerd that I am.

Overall, should I look to electric for my on-road car and stick to Nitro for my off-road buggy/trucks?

-TJ

marca
10-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Well first off welcome ack to the hobby and secondly i see your a big fan of American muscle. me too my dad has a nice 81 camaro:D:D

Well as for the brush less thing. They are technically faster than nitros but more expensive if u compare a speed to price ratio. but most brushless motors can exceed the speed of nitro but the only thing is you dont get consistent power with the batteries.
welcome again!!

88Buckaroo88
10-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Welcome back. I like the collection of "real" cars you have going even though I'm a Ford fan.

catchin air
10-27-2007, 11:37 PM
i too enjoy real cars (73 Z28) and my tc5 is a very nice machine :cool:
the nitro is cool for the sound and smoke
speed can derive from both
with nitro you may need alot of room for speed but speed is almost instant with electric
choose wisely both can cost as much as a real car:)
welcome back

tjZ06
10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Okay... so I picked up my first toys to get back in the hobby:

HPI MT2
Acme Condor

I got them both used, complete with radios for both, all the field gear (a ton of tools, spares, glow plug ignitor, the roto-start for the MT2, fuel, etc etc) for $100. I think I did pretty good on that. The Condor has a blown up bell-housing and the needle in the carb of the MT2 is damaged. I'm thinking I'll just buy a complete new carb for the MT2... but I'm also tempted to just throw a .18SS in it. Thoughts?

I'm going to sell the Condor to a good buddy of mine really cheap so I have more ppl to race. Any idea where he can look for parts since it's off-brand?

-TJ

SS Pede
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Brushless is definitely an awesome upgrade for most electric vehicles. There is certainly some investment up front required...you'll want good batteries and a good charger. But it has been very worth it to me. Even a mild brushless setup will make a touring car scoot pretty good.

seanmanibog
11-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Brushless is awesomely powerful technology. I myself am a nitro type of guy, but one of my Brothers has a brushless Traxxas Rustler with a Mamba Max 7700kv system in it, and it picks up and goes. If you want to go nitro I suggest looking into truggies. They are usually well priced as RTR's, and have the durability of a monster truck and the handling of a buggy, and they are faster than heck. Can't go wrong there. Oh, and, nice cars! My uncle and I are really close and we both streetrace in a supercharged Chrysler 300c SRT8

ironoutlaw
11-02-2007, 09:39 AM
nice too have you back, still cant beat the all around revo performance, nice rides

rccardude04
11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
On that Condor, you can try your LHS but don't get discouraged if they don't have anything. Sometimes stuff will fit those Acme and Smartech cars, but usually not. Your best bet is to jump on ebay and find who sells them, and give them a call. Usually they'll send parts out pretty quick from what I've heard.
As far as the MT2, I'd fix it as cheap as possible to see if you like it and whether or not it's worth keeping. Usually when people sell stuff, there's a reason. In your case, hopefully it's just a clutch bell and a needle housing. Just be ready for more.
Have fun!
-Eric

catchin air
11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
i have a mt2 and the main issue is chasiss (i think)flex other than the occasional spur gear it is fun to bash