PDA

View Full Version : How to loosen Locktite?

Quinton
10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
I put some locktite in my CVD's so I wouldn't lose but the pin. BUT I managed to get some around the cup too I guess. Now they don't want to swivel and are very stiff or sticky.

How can I break the locktite loose??? I have them sitting in gas now but I don't think that's doing anything.

What to use?
Thanks

ericem
10-26-2007, 04:27 PM
If you drive with the locktite in there will just wear away. So just install them and drive.

Quinton
10-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I would of thought there would be oil and gunk in there and it wouldn't stick BUT it did and its got my drivetrain all gummed up. It won't let the cvd's spin, you can see the A arms and diffs movingif you try and push it on the ground.

Duster_360
10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
You're right, the gas is not doing much. I don't think there is a solvent made for loctite - at least I've never heard of one. This was red or blue? If it was blue, might try heating the cup up and then when it loosens up try running it an hope it stays loose. Heat helps break loctite, but it doesn't make it go away.

I would disassemble and clean and re-assemble. I don't think there is a reliable way out of this. Running with stiff or sticky cvds - not practical. Makes vehicle hop and hop badly (at least it did on mine).

ericem
10-26-2007, 04:38 PM
That bad eh. Ya do what duster said. I am thinking you used red for it to be that bad :eek: Time to take out the torch :flame:

Quinton
10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Used blue. Damner!!!

I do have a heat gun that gets hot. Let's see what happens.

AKASHA
10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Only one kind of locktite that I have encountered in my mechanic days that fire WON'T touch and it is made by CAT. The other stuff just melts with a nice rosebud tip on a :flame:
:driving:

Quinton
10-26-2007, 09:33 PM
99% sure I got'er with your guys' help. Put the heat gun on it and got it smokin' hot, then added Puris oil from Walmart. Moved them back and forth many times and got them nice and smooth. Hopefully they'll still be loose tomorrow.
Thanks!