PDA

View Full Version : renting some land to run in... how much should I pay?

Rufus
10-28-2007, 01:55 PM
I just found a nice (soccer size) piece of land that belongs to a mall, its not paved or anything so its ideal for offroad, plus we have restrooms and vending machines closeby... I and a group of buddies were very happy to find this place because we've been running out of space lately (we used to run at construction yards and some crappy soccer fields, but now they're starting to build and some of the fields are being restored so now they're busy all the time). Well I went to talk to the people at the admin to see if we could get some running space there (not build a track or anything) for free.... but I got a negative, they were just interested in renting it. Told them we just needed sunday mornings and that we're not that many running at any given day (5-10 people max). so they are asking how much can we pay them. They're not interested in a fee per person, they just want a fixed rental fee.
If we go for it, I don't think that we can raise a lot of money, its not even going to be a track, just some running space.
Any words of advise? Any of you renting?
I say any amount is good for them since they are not using the land for anything, but somehow they seemed greedy. It would make sense to get it then for saturdays and sundays in order to get more poeple in, but for how much?

broncobill
10-28-2007, 03:38 PM
It's your money. What one man would pay for something, thinking he got a good deal, another man would think he was crazy for paying so much. Personally, the only way I would rent some land to run on, if it was my only choice. You are the only one that can answer your question.

andystoybox
10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
What I would do is find out what you could recoup in fees if the minimum number of people showed up. If it's worth $10 per person and you figure on five of your closest friends, you could tell them it's worth $50 a week. If it's a regular thing, they might do it for that cheap. If it's not regular, they might want more money. Also, they may put restrictions on what you can do, who can run and what hours it would be available. Also, they might want you to prove that you are insured; if you have a homeowners policy (or your parents do) it usually has a recreational coverage that would pay medical or damages if you are away from home. I would look at all the issues before you do it; there's a reason that there are so few tracks around anymore. Usually, you can't get someone to come out and have fun for money. If you are out with five friends and someone else drives by, thinks it looks like fun and then decides to go get his truck and come back, you will have a hard time convincing him that he has to pay you to run in an open lot. Good luck with it.

c2s
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Better make sure home owners will covered if your a business. If you charge a fee even if it's just to cover the rent it may still be classified as a business.

88Buckaroo88
10-28-2007, 05:12 PM
To be honest with you I wouldn't even pay for it just yet. Look around a bit more. You might find something else. I personally wouldn't pay anything unless I could build a nice bash spot on it and a track. I'd keep looking if I were you.

clockworks
10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Don't know how these things work in the US, but our club in the west of England rent part of a village cricket pitch for our offroad track. We leave the track down from April to September, and have a rostrum and a hut for storage.
We pay 50GBP (100USD) a year rent.

Public liability insurance is covered because our club is affiliated to the national RC body (BRCCC). This costs each member 12GBP per year.

Rufus
10-28-2007, 08:38 PM
If I could get some land borrowed from the local authorities then that money would be put to build a real track, my estimate is that the most I can get is about $20 to 25 per weekend, per person. However, a decent track would need more money that that... It'd be easier if the group were bigger, but for the last couple of years it has stayed about the same (and I believe it will keep that way, only a real track could help bring more people in)

I'm not rushing in to rent it either, location is great, but as some said, it still ain't no track. If we could build a track there it would be awesome, but then it would mean even more money... with the amount of people we have now that would be very unlikely.

andystoybox
10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
You still have to contend with watchers and potential members. They will run there after you leave (for free) and will most likely get in your way (trying to help). Personally, if you feel that it could become a problem, just run there for free as well until they kick you off. The worst thing would be that you tell them there wasn't a sign for no trespassing and it looked like it would be o.k.

FESTER2004
11-04-2007, 12:59 AM
try using a school parking lot or a public park or something, i wouldnt pay!