PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for screw drivers?

norcalracer_707
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
What does everyone recommend for hex head screw drivers? I tried doing a search to see what people were using but search isn't working for some reason. I don't want to use the stock ones that come with the T4 because they round out to easy and strip screws, like the ones that came with my Rustler. Thanks for the input.

tadium54
10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
i have a set of ofna ones that are great. id check them out. or if you have a good chunk of cash for tools, hudy is one of, if not the best.

norcalracer_707
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the input tadium. I know this is a stupid question, but are the T4 race spec screws metric or standard?

tadium54
10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
i would imagine standard. but someone with a t4 might be able to give you a better answer

crazy4wdracer
10-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I went with the factory team associated wrenches and they are very nice, I have had them for over a year now and have never replaced one tip. I got them for about $50 for 7 wrenches on ebay.

rccardude04
10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
The new Losi sets are super nice. About 50 bucks per 4 though.
-Eric

AKASHA
10-30-2007, 07:16 PM
MAC and cornwell, only tools I WILL use. I don't deal with the Snap-On guy around here or else I would have some of them as well. Not to mention that they are guaranteed for life. So you strip a hex wait a week and get a brand new one.
Pic for those interested to see what I like to use on the bench.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2765/p1000359jh0.jpg

terrible-t
10-30-2007, 08:45 PM
From Mac to Snap-On, Stanley to Craftsman, either would do. Just as long it fits your hand and is comfortable with you , It is the right tool. Hudy tools are the Cads for RC's, like Snap-On is for Automotive mechanics. The correct tool fits your own hands.

AKASHA
10-30-2007, 09:00 PM
When Hudy gives a full no questions asked replacement warranty and offers direction ratchetable T handle wrenches along with hex shafts that utilize ball end hex and solid hex on the other I'll give them a shot. Full set of the hex bars in metric from 1.5-10MM with the screwdriver handle and ratchet handle cost me less than $50 from cornwell. If one strips or breaks or something, give it to the dealer and a new one is back in my toolbox in less than a week.

NotWalkinBlind
10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Another thing you can do if you round off a tip is to cut about 1/8 inch off with a cutting wheel on a Dremel... then you're back to fresh hexology... with no waiting to exchange it.
:D

Duster_360
10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
I went with a set of Thorp drivers, been using the 2mm for 4yrs and the tip is still sharp and just like new. I can't see any wear on it. The others sizes came later, also from Thorp.

The key is to get something with a hardened tip, otherwise you're in for wear. I was given a set of non-hardened ones by a well meaning relative and they were worthless after only a few months of use.

bigboots1302
10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
i have the integy ones, their nice:)

Demon-TC3
11-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Integy ones are i think the cheapest RC intended wrenches out there, they sell a set of 7 - beutifully machines ally wrenches (metric and imperial - every size you could possibly need!) for arround $40.00, they are TI-Nitride coated.

i use them myself and love them, i bought a set of 6 thinking it was an imperial set, at the same time i also bought a 7 set thinking it was metric. when it got here i saw they where both metric / imperial just the 7 set had a 3mm as well, 6 set didnt.

I still have the 7 set, just in case i had any problems but after about 1 year of using them and absoultely no sign of wear i think need to sell it on. (BNIP)

Good luck,
Demon

Casper
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
You cannot beat a good set of R/C tools for working on your cars. Cornwell, snap-on and craftman do not make a quality tool for the small hardware we use. You really need a good hardned ground tip to ensure you will not strip screws and they will last a long time. Hudy makes great tools. I like there Profi line as they are cheaper and I like the plastic handle more then the knarled alum handles. Thorpe makes AWESOME tools as well that I am a huge fan of. AE and losi make great tools as well but I fell there handles are too small.

Find some tools with hardned ground tool steel tips and you will be happy you spent the extra money. Considering a good set of tools should last years it is not a bad investment. I used the same set of Thorpe tools for over 10 years. I am now using some hudy tools I got with and Xray kit. Great tools.

AKASHA
11-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Corwell, snap-on and craftman do not make a quality tool for the small hardware we use.
LMFAO
I take it you think that because the pieces are smaller they are of lesser quality then the bigger pieces in the sets? w/e, You are probably one of those live and die by harbor freight tools guys. And again when ANY of the bigger named manus of r/c tools back them up with a lifetime warranty, then I MIGHT consider them. Well, that is, after my MAC, Snap-on, Cornwell tools break.:rolleyes:

Casper
11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry I have not seen a quality .050 from any of the "Big" tool companies. 1/16 and 2mm usually do not work well unless it is a ground tip as well. They just do not have the tight fit a hudy or a thorpe driver do. Sorry just speaking from my 15 years of experience. Use what works for you! ;)