PDA

View Full Version : Can't pick

Antraxx
11-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey all. So in a couple months ill be getting a new car (because my Thunder Tiger Mirage just can't take anymore bashing without breaking something every time i take it out). I live in Brazil and part support is limited to some brands only. My LHS has Traxxas/Kyosho/Tamiya/Duratraxx and HPI. As for electronics, Futaba all the way and engines is mostly OS with a few axials in stock.

I am definitely into off road, I want something durable so i can bash. 1/8 buggy is what i currently own and like alot, but racing is not viable here. I might consider a monster truck, but hop up parts for a revo lets say are a little limited id have to ship it all internationally. I don't want to buy something RTR tho, i want to build it myself. Even tho im kinda new to RCing i just like the idea of building my own car.

So what i had in mind was the 777 WC with a OS VZ-B .21 and a JP-3 Pipe. Costs a pretty penny tho and since i don't race, idk bout spending so much just for bashing. I want something quick, durable, fast and with good handling.
Any suggestions? what do you guys think

ericem
11-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Something quick and durable thats a kit. Sure the Savage SS. I don't really think you want THAT expensive of a buggy if your not going to race. If you want a sweet basher buggy. I would usually say the Hyper 7 but it is so outdated. I think you should look more at Truggy's it's pretty much a buggy with different gearing, bigger wheels, wider and longer. So still low maintenance.

Antraxx
11-11-2007, 09:07 AM
My LHS just recently started receiving HPI pieces, so i was thinking exactly the same. How durable is the Savage X SS? I can't find many reviews on it but from what i've seen its incredibly good, and the price is dirt cheap if you compare it to the 777 WC.
Cheers

broncobill
11-11-2007, 09:30 AM
HPI makes quality products. The Savage 25 is a very tough truck. So I don't know why the SS would be any different. If you are going to spend a $1000 on a 777, why not spend it on a HPI Baja 5B?:D

skylineTT
11-11-2007, 10:45 AM
you could getthe 777 on a diff engine. that is a full blown racing engine pretty much.

Antraxx
11-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Bron, simply because i live in Brazil, and when im gonna buy my new car when i go to Miami, in two months and i would have to bring it in a suitcase. And that thing is gigantic(imagine with all the other stuff that comes with it). its gonna be a pain already bringing a 1/8th scale, imagine a 1/5th.

In addition, my LHS just started receiving HPI parts, and i dont think they have BAJA stuff yet (which is unfortunate, because i like the idea of a big bad car)

And I guess ill go with the Savage X SS, but if i change my mind back to the 777(and if my budget allows me to do so) what engine do you suggest?

savagekid94
11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
an hpi savage x ss would be my choice i love mine and it was a really fun build

rampbrian
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
axal .28 rr spec, or the new one with the green head that is slightly concave inwards to the glowplug is suposed to be a realley good powerful engine. axal claims it revs up to 48+ thousand rpm. alot of the +sized big block engines cant rev past 35 thousand rpm, wich would limit your top speed with out gear changes. I like high reving mills.
I have a picco werks .26 in my monster gt and its quite a handful. wheely popin torque and blazing top speed.

ive never been a fan of traxxas products, altho they are good, I just dont realley like them.
hpi seems to be great product on a budget. ive heard mixed reviews about duratrax. I dont realley like their monster trucks, but they have good mini buggies.

I realley like my monster gt from associated, altho its not listed in the manufactures that your local hobby carries, so I would go savage ss if I was you. you can pretty much drive anywhere with a monster truck. its the most versitile of all rc viechles.

Antraxx
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I didn't even know i could fit a .28 on a 777. But by the looks, im going with the Savage SS X for now, much cheaper and a different vehicle for me to try out, since i've never owned a monster truck.
Thanks for all the input

PS: Rampbrian hook me up with a good hobby shop in Miami if you know any good ones. I could order online but ordering a vehicle online would cost a pretty penny on S&H and if it gets delayed...Im screwed

cheers

rampbrian
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
give me a day or 3 and ill find you a bunch of hobby shops in miami area.
im right above fortlauterdale. so im only 40 min away from that area.

MeBaD
11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
I think out of all the stuff I've seen the savage kit is one of the best for beating on. I have a revo that I've taken to the track and taken through the woods and though the only thing I really broke on it was the body mount (driving on the road without the body tuning) I wouldn't recommend any stadium style truck if you want to really launch it in the air. Traxxes has a good assortment of parts, where as HPI does as well, and probably more. The Tmax and savage have the most parts around here (NY, USA)

Than ya can get a micro-t for when it's too hot outside :D

Antraxx
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Ya i might as well buy the savage, no one that has owned it seems to be unhappy with it.

and Mebad, it doesn't get too hot where i live, i live in the south of Brazil so our top temps are like 95-100 during summer. The weather is great here, its always like 75-80ish all year round and its always sunny =]

But ill think about buying a micro-t when i have alot of money to spend =]