PDA

View Full Version : fixing your pull start. gets easier every time.

rampbrian
11-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I just went out for a run on the rc, to make shure its set up how I want it to be, and gave the pull start a tug, and the handle came off in my hand. hahaha.
its happened so many times to me on so many diffrent engines, from start to finish it took 20 min, to take off the pull start, unwind the string and spring, re wrap them., add tension to the spring, and tie the handle back on.

I remember the catastrophy that happened the first time I tried to rebuild a pull start. O what a mess it was.
so I guess the moral of the story is,
that if you have a broken pull start, you can learn to fix it your self, and with practice, its not hard at all.

or just to not use the pull start like its a lawn mower engine, hahaha.
short tugs are good. only extending the string 5 to 7 inches or so.
I also learned that a while ago.
maby rotostart is a good thing. hahahaha.

HarryCallahan
11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Ha,your quite right!Practice makes perfect.
I remember the horror the first time one fell apart and the patience i had to keep to prevent me smashing it with a hammer.
Now it's a piece of cake.I don't even flinch anymore,i'd say i'm in the 20 minute sector too.

ironoutlaw
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
i used too hate that and i did smash some with hammers and now i find i am fixing everone else's pull starters oh well nice guy's finish last

rccardude04
11-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I don't know how people pull pull starts apart like that... I've started an uncountable number of vehicles with pull starts and I've only had them fall apart twice. Once was my fault because I was pissed at the engine, and intentionally yanked it out so I didn't have to deal with it any more (my savage), and the other time was a customer's car that was just worn out. The whole string was covered in oil and was about to fail at any point on the string.

In an actual contribution, lol... I know what you mean with it getting easier. It's kind of a learned skill. I've rewound several that customers pull out and it's still a pain in the butt, but it's easier each time it seems.
-Eric