PDA

View Full Version : cutting graphite

LOW ET
11-16-2007, 05:57 PM
what do you "home made" guys use to cut graphite? example: if i were to make a chassis out of a sheet of graphite, what would i use to cut it?

HarryCallahan
11-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Either a hacksaw or a Dremel with a cut of wheel.

LOW ET
11-17-2007, 11:08 AM
i've cut graphite with a dremel and cutoff, but how do you keep the cut line straight? practice?

Cossack71
11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Band saw, dremel.
Then time on the sander. I've got a belt sander with 1" belt so I can get into the tight places. And a file for really tight spots.
But most importantly, wear a dust mask and eye protection when you do this.
Dust is bad stuff to breath, and if you're using a dremel, cut off wheels can shatter it the worst times.

HarryCallahan
11-18-2007, 09:10 AM
i've cut graphite with a dremel and cutoff, but how do you keep the cut line straight? practice?
Yes practice and work slowly,don't force the tool.Strap the piece down and hold the tool firmly and just cut progresively deeper,so if you were cutting a straight line firstly go all the way along the line lightly then go over again then....untill it's cut.
Oh and yes (as above) always use a dust mask and goggles,cut off wheels are very dangerous.

LOW ET
11-18-2007, 10:48 AM
i'm very familar with dremel's and cut off wheels, just no experience cutting graphite. i'll figure it out! thanks for the info guys.

fathertime
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
tablesaw w/ laminate blade, jigsaw w/ fine tooth metal blade , and dremel. use a good respirator, not a dust mask!!