PDA

View Full Version : SW Michigan boaters.

Ron Olson
04-13-2008, 01:47 AM
It looks like we'll be having a club and a place to race for those of you in southwest Michigan.
Right now we're working with Grand Rapids Gravel and Battlefront to have a site under IMPBA sanctioning.
The location is on Sanford Drive SW, 4.1 miles west of US-131 off 28th Street just past the Chicago Drive overpass.
The site does need some work to get it whipped into shape so we'll be planning a clean-up day soon. Also in the works is a club website that I hope to have up and going hopefully sometime in the next week.
We will be known as the Southwest Michigan Model Boat Club aka SWMMBC.
What will happen at the lake is a lot of different types of events. The Battlefront owner would like to see at least a bi-weekly race series with RTR classes in both nitro and fast electric. Our "volunteered" president wants to hold SAW events there.
Any inquiries can be e-mailed to me at floatsfast@aol.com .

K.R.Joye
05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Ron great to see another club in Mi. Post your race schedule on R/R forums for best publicity. Hope to get out to visit you guys some time.

KRJoye
NAMBA 1818
MMEU Core Council

Ron Olson
05-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks Ken as we really needed one on this side of the state again.
We finally got the OK yesterday to go ahead and use the site as the drivers stand and other things will be on Grand Rapids Gravel property.
For FE racers like you we're not forgetting about those people either. The owner of Battlefront would like to see us get some classes going for them and possibly a point series type of thing with (what he'd like) a bi-weekly event along the lines of what they do for the car and truck racers. He's thinknig that it would be an easy thing for those that already have just about everything needed to get in on the action also. With 2 or 3 hobby shops close by that will help for parts chasing. One close by said that they will stock what we need but wants to see what is going to happen. Most of that will be with RTR boats.
Walt Radzinkski would love to hold some SAW events there. Me, I'd like to see specialty races, RTR's, .21 and unders, gas, stuff like that.
We've got IMPBA sanctioning right now but I don't see why we couldn't get it approved for NAMBA events.
Right now a you can see we're in the wishful thinking/brainstorming mode.

Ron Olson
05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
We have gotten out IMPBA sanctioning we we can now use the site. Walt Radzinski has been working his tail off this past week whipping it into shape. I spent some time up there Saturday and am heading back up there soon for a "christening" of the lake. NAMBA members are more than welcome to show up. The site is open from 9:00 AM until 9:00 PM every day. See John or Jason inside Battlefront for info and a key for the boat. There is a slight charge to help cover expenses.
Oh yeah, real indoor plumbing also! Electricity inside the building and hopefully for big events a concession stand.

Ron Olson
07-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Ken, hopefully I'll see you thee sometime. We're still working on a Tuesday night RTR series for both nitro and electric. The buoys are in place, a retrieve boat is onsite now and still working on whipping the property into shape (it was a mess). Right now the boaters are using the lake on Tuesdays and Saturdays mostly so there isn't any conflicts with the trucks on the indoor and outdoor tracks. The club is growing almost weekly. NAMBA and IMPBA members are welcome to run anytime but anyone running must have a current membership card, that was part of the agreement with the property owner.