PDA

View Full Version : How to Build?

kruegs35
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I would like to get into rc cars, but I am having trouble getting information about building a car. I am a big DIYer, so that's why I want to build my own car. Since I don't have any experience, I don't know anything about all of the parts necessary or which parts are compatible, etc... I've been searching online, but cannot seem to find any guides on building. Anybody know any good links?

4wdmt
05-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I highly recommend building a Tamiya kit. Instructions are very easy to follow. There are reference pictures of parts at the side of the building page. Parts bags are grouped by steps and the manual are nicely illustrated. To give you some sample (depends on what RC you would like to buy) check out seom of the online manuals:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

terrible-t
05-13-2009, 12:56 AM
All RC kits have individual bags by sections, and number by sections. They have good illustration of section being assembled. You8 will not have trouble on any kit you decide on.

pasan
05-13-2009, 02:43 AM
+1 on the Tamiya. Perfect for 1st time kit builder, and a DIYer ought to have no problems in assembling one of their kits.

kruegs35
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
I was hoping to do some bargin shopping on ebay for parts. Are there no resources available to help with building? Do I just need to start with a kit to get the exposure first?

Old_School_RC_1
05-13-2009, 09:28 AM
x2 on that tamiya kit, they go together great! nothing like the satisfaction of driving something you built ground up for the first time, plus the building experience comes in handy later if you want to do more custom stuff. As far as tools, all you'll need intitally got most kits is a phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers and some allen wrenches (most kits include a 4 way wrench for the bolts and some allen wrenches)

Then, all you'll need is a radio, battery and charger. You're all set at that point!

tadium54
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
my first car was a tamiya and it was a breeze to build. id recomend them

you want to just buy a whole bunch of random parts on ebay and try to make it all work? 90 percent of the rc world has stuff thats not compatable with other brands. if you shopped for ruster,stampede and bandit parts you might get lucky, but even then.

BIGDADDYV
05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I would suggest if your a DIY'er to figure out what type of ride you intend on making and one that suits your needs ... Then Look around and see what you can find in the price you think is acceptable .. Then piece it together and continue to tweak and tune it until it does what you invisioned it doing .. This is how most of the true scaler crawlers came to be .. This is how most of the guys out there do thier TRUE CUSTOM RIDES .. There is no instruction manual for a custom build .. Find a model close to what you are looking for and build it .. If your looking for something in the scale look I would take a serious look at the afformentioned Tamiya kits .. They are very real looking and so is the price tag .. You do have to remember that they are going to perform "usually" the same as a scaled down 1:1 truck or car ..
Ultimatley it is up to you .. What ever you chose there is usually a manual availible on the companies website to help you assymble the truck or car even if your just using parts (ie diffs and or trannys ) .. Either way look around and do some research and see what custom creation you can make for your own ..

kruegs35
05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I appreciate the responses. Like I said, I'm a total noob, so I didn't know anything about the compatibility issues.

pasan
05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I could've sworn I had posted two replies in this thread today...

Ihaveaxrayt2r
05-13-2009, 08:39 PM
you did ^ this one and the other! ;)

+5 on the tamiya kits!

TT-01 was my first kit!! loved it...easy build!
i only had trouble with the electronics! haha that was when i was nooob!