PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happend to on-road racing?

McLaren
05-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Got the new issue of Radio Control Car Action in the mail, and there was no single test or review of a touring, F1, Mini or anything. Not even a rumor about one. They should really change their name to Radio Control Offroad Action.

It was so sad, i spent 5 mins on the magazine, even the adds where 98% offroad.

To be said, Touring, on-road, F1, Mini is NOT dead. There are still many people wanting to read about it.

Been noticing this trend the last couple of years, less and less about on-road. Now it's complete, the first issue with 100% off-road and a few boats. Who cares about boats in a CAR magazine? Doesn't Airage have their own Boat magazine? I want less boat, less offroad and atleast some on-road.

Lots of cars is coming out now, just look at Tamiya. Their new M05 and F104 is looking great. Take HPI with the new Switch and Cup Racer. Xray has new tourers, Schumacher has same. IF they look they will find good cars to review. Its so sad the way it is now.

Looks like i will end my subscription with them if this goes on.

Well, enough rant for now. Just had to blow off some steam.. :rolleyes:

nitrohead5300
05-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Read Xtreme

jsears
05-15-2009, 07:45 AM
I have to agree. I have nearly stopped buying any of the RC mags because they are all almost 100% off-road. I will always wait until the latest issues hit the newsstands so I can browse through them to see if there is anything on-road related. If there is, I will most likely buy it. That's why I don't subscribe. RCCA is not alone here though. Granted, off-road probably does carry the industry. But on-roaders do contribute and they should be at least given a look from the magazine publishers.

McLaren
05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I do subscribe to Xtreme too, using their digital print. It's good and cheap.

But I will for sure stop my subscription to RCCA the way things are now. Just hope someone from the magazine reads this, if it helps.

Also sent them a email on their backfire adress.
Maybe if we all do it it will help.

Grizzbob
05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I do subscribe to Xtreme too, using their digital print. It's good and cheap.

But I will for sure stop my subscription to RCCA the way things are now. Just hope someone from the magazine reads this, if it helps.

Also sent them a email on their backfire adress.
Maybe if we all do it it will help.

I know how you feel, that's also why I let my subscription go, I'm an onroad guy, & I was seeing FAR too much coverage of everything BUT onroad. In fact, not long ago, I did some digging because I was curious about what info they might have on Tamiya's TRF cars, & the ONLY one they had an article on was the ORIGINAL 415(which has gone through MANY updates since then & of course the 416 & 416WE have hit the scene & won championships). Absolutely pathetic, so I'm not gonna waste my money on it till thery give onroad the coverage it deserves....:teacher:

McLaren
05-16-2009, 09:52 PM
The last race i was in the top 3 finishers was covered by 0.06 sek. We did not know who won before we checked then computer.
We all heard a single tone when 3 people drive across the line. This was the F1 class at our club with spec motors (EzRuns with 3000kv) works great an d is great competition. Always a good turnout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gq2q3ZNnLs

This is a old race but a hard fought one, only 3 cars but still fun.
Not a big track, but we get it for free incl. electrics. So can't complain.

By the way, i drive the Ferrrari F310B in this race.

Ovalracer9988
05-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Don't forget guys....off road IS the most popular form of rc racing. I do sympathize with ya'll, I am a carpet oval guy and we get less coverage than on road.

InspGadgt
05-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Off-road is the most popular form of RC bashing...I'm not so sure it is in racing...I'd have to see some comparative event figures just to be sure. But when races like the Nats and Snowbirds are drawing 400-800 entries that is still indicative that on-road needs coverage.

TamiyaIFSDriver
05-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah I agree. I don't race or anything. But there really isn't no offroad place to run. I sold all my trucks again LOL. We have a few nice parking lots at work. So I may get a on road car at some point.

Ovalracer9988
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Also, stats show their are more off road type rc cars sold than any other. The thing you need to remember, no matter how hard they try, the mags will not be able to please everybody. RC as a hobby is ever changing, I don't care for rock crawling or drifting, but that is whats hot right now so it gets the coverage.
I still stand by my statement, off road is the most popular form of RC going. From personal experience, I see more off road tracks around the country and they are drawing the racers. We get an average of 40 to 50 offroaders a week in the summer, but only half that for carper in the winter.

My opinion only, you will probably not agree.

TamiyaIFSDriver
05-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I think that if Traxxas came out with a decent road car on road would take off. They brought out the Slash and look now we have CORR trucks coming out like hotcakes. They could make a great F-1 or indy car based off the Revo platform. You also need a good on-road car that would drive good on the plain old asphalt street with a sealed drive train or something like that.

Troy Lyman
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Having been in the hobby since 1984 I've seen this trend before. Generally speaking, off-road vehicles are always popular while on-road comes and goes.

In the 80's off-road was taking off while on-road was mainly gas 1/8th scale. Then 1/10th and 1/12th scale pan cars became more popular and you saw a surge in on-road oval. When the 90s came, we had a recession and considering that on-road oval is about 85% equipment and 15% driver having the best and most expensive equipment is what it took to win. Soon you saw the same 10 guys showing up at the track because they were the only ones to afford it and that part of the hobby couldn't support itself on that little interest.

Then when the ecconomy started to improve you had Tamiya come out with the sedans that didn't need a fully treated permanent track to run on and Hobby People came out with their parking lot racing...on-road gained popularity once again. It flourished through the late 90s and early 2000s. Nitro sedans debuted and also flourished. Nitro on-road became more popular than ever with many local races seeing 40 nitro cars alone.

As the popularity grew the cars went from very basic, simple, inexpensive cars to the high tech pricey vehicles from companies like Serpent. Even the electric cars went from being $100-$150 cars to $400+ rolling chassis. Again the ecconomy tanks and once more on-road racing goes dorment. I've been to three races in the last month and have seen only 5 nitro cars total. Electric sedan is almost completely outnumbered by the Slash class at some events. F1 is dead...again. Mini is actually still alive and well out here with the ABC cars and soon the HPI Club Racers. Micro has dried up so that you only see a few of them but even they are more numerous than the nitro guys.

Face it, until this ecconomy gets better on-road will stay in hibernation. Thank goodness for small parking lot races around here or I don't know what I'd be doing...though those Slashes are really fricken' cool! As such magazines will cover what is popular. Off Road is more popular than on road right now and there's nothing wrong with that though, for me a die hard on-road racer, it stinks until things get better.