PDA

View Full Version : Most awesomest drifter evar?

rccardude04
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Trying to find a killer TC to not only drift around with (for reasons undisclosed at this time) as well as play around with as a speed demon and all-around good basher. I wish I could race the thing but there are no real tracks around. I may do it a couple times but that's not the primary purpose.

I really want a SOLID car that will hold up for a while. I would buy a nice TC5 or similar high-end car, but the surfaces I will run on won't exactly be perfect. I would go TC3/Drift-R or whatever, but I want to stray from the beaten path.

How's the Tamiya TB-03D ( http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58420 ) ? I figured with the brushless, the metal output shafts, input shafts, and prop shafts should be upgraded. But other than that how is the car?

Power system will be 2s lipo/Mamba Max 6900 (What I have laying around). Probably pull the Airtronics 94358 out of my DB01 for the meantime, and possibly the receiver as well. So nothing RTR.

Thoughts?

-Eric

pimpride
08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
You found the wrong one.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=92206

That is the one you want.

rccardude04
08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
You found the wrong one.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=92206

That is the one you want.

LOL Sorry. My bad. :)

Either way, any other good options?

-Eric

Ihaveaxrayt2r
08-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I like the TT-01D for the price and drifting..
I know, it can handle 6400kv on 2c...

But, I have driven the TB-03D its a great drifter! Smooth, handles corners well, to my thought!
But, thats against the TT-01D and Xrayt2r... with my driving of the cars.

Cheap and cheap.. I say go with the TT-01D
A great drifter, TB-03D hands down! Speed runs.. idk, I lot of set-up would be needed
Xrayt2r, its a great drifter If you built the diffs right and a great speed runner! :p ! But that if you can find the one that bass of the T2 series 07 to 08... the new T2r is bassed more on the 09
I hope I helped! :p derrrrrrr :P

hijacker
08-12-2009, 12:20 AM
The MM 6900kv sounds like a lot of motor for a drifter. Less is more when it comes to drifting usually.

Old_School_RC_1
08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I would agree - I use a stock silver can. Once the wheels are spinning, there's no point in spinning faster really - just more tire and gear wear....plus with a decent lipo, a stock 27t motor would run forever. I'd save the 6900 for the speed runs.

rccardude04
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Normally I'd agree, but I'm not going to be doing the normal low speed drifting. :)

If the brushless doesn't work out, I've got motors and everything laying around. Just for what we're trying to do, I'm going to need something that will handle the horsepower, not just with slippery drift tires but with actual traction as well. :D

The TT01D looks alright I guess, but the diffs I know won't work well. I broke one of the ball diff versions of that setup in an M03 on the stock motor. It was lame.

Is there anything else out there I should be looking at?

-Eric

pasan
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
How about the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC? It sure looks like a sweet setup. And going back to Tamiya, what about a TA-05 MS?

rccardude04
08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
The TA05 was my first choice (TA05IFS-R), but it looks like they're phasing out the chassis aren't they?

I also looked at the Cyclone but I think it may be a bit fragile as far as when I slide the thing straight into a brick wall. What about the HPI Sprint 2? The whole car looks flimsy though... Also thought about the cup racer, but the body selection isn't what I need it to be.

The only thing holding me back on the TB-03D is Tamiya's tendency to go through vehicles twice a year. That and parts availability.

-Eric

pasan
08-13-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't think they're phasing out the TA-05, they did make a TA-05 2.0 which is basically a TA-05 IFS minus some goodies. Even if it is phased out, it's still a very good chassis and there are enough parts available for you to construct a chassis completely from after market bits, just like the TT-01. BTW, the TT-01's gear diffs held up extremely well for me when I ran mine on a 3S Sidewinder 4600 setup. The first item to go will be the spur gear, and that also the the cross pin will eat into the groove, so your pinion is safe. I had upgraded it with 3Racing shocks, propeller shaft, diff input cups and a CF center deck which really didn't give the chassis the torsional rigidity I was hoping it would.

I'm clueless about the Sprint 2, and I haven't seen much in the way of tuning options.

If you want bodies, I recommend you take a look at ABC Hobby's listing. They have a large array of classic JDM bodies which you could use to make a truly unique drifter (1969 Skyline 2000 GT-R FTW).

rccardude04
08-13-2009, 10:40 AM
How's the TA-05's belts when it comes to rocks and crap though? I don't exactly have a clean surface. It's rather lame.

I was kind of thinking about converting my DB01 Durga over to a TA05 since the chassis looks similar, but I don't want to have wasted the money on the TRF shocks/driveshafts/tires/wheels/etc... lol.

I would do the TT01 but I really don't want the gear diffs. And by the time I upgrade what I'll want to, the TB03 will actually be cheaper anyway.

If the TA05 will hold up with actual traction, lots of horsepower, and a bunch of pebbles, I may still look into that route.

-Eric

pasan
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah small stones and chips will be an issue, not only for the TA-05 but for pretty much any belt driven vehicle with exposed toothed wheels (which all TCs are). The TA-05 can handle brushless power just fine, there's a video floating around of one powered by a MM 7700 on 3S. There's also the DF-03Ra which I is a very sweet kit and would be the next Tamiya I would buy if I ever have access to a flat gravelly surface.

How about the HPI E10? It's HPI's take on the TT-01 but I do think it's a little more refined though. If you're going to play in the dirt, then belt drives are pretty much out of the question unless you want to take your chances

Edit: I just read up on the TB-03D because I have no experience with it, and IMO, the platform is ideal, and the TB-03 IFS more so.

Neon_Dave
08-13-2009, 07:18 PM
How about the Losi XXX-S? It's proven, has a sealed belt-drive system, and has solid diffs. Parts are available, and it's not overly expensive. I think it would be a viable option to do what you want to do, with the correct setup. :wave:

-DB

pasan
08-14-2009, 11:04 AM
+1 on the sealed belt drive, that's the 1st I've seen. I had left out Losi cos, well, they're at the bottom of my list when it comes to reliability.

rccardude04
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I like the overall design of the XXX-S, but I'm still rather angry at Horizon/Losi so I'm trying to stay away as much as I can. I'm also trying to stray from the norm. Everyone knows what a XXX-S is. Not everyone is familiar with a TB-03D, let alone the limited edition.

A friend of mine has a TC3, but it's more of the same thing over and over again.

I guess I'm kind of trying to pull stuff out of the corners of the r/c market, just on the edge of mainstream. :D

Also, I looked at the ABC Hobby bodies, and WOW! They have some serious detail that seems to be lacking everywhere else.

I've driven an E10 and it's not even close to what I'm looking for. I need quite a lot better steering than that! LOL :) If you haven't handled one, they're sloppy and mushy everywhere. I need functionality with high grip as well as low grip.

I think the TB03D will be the choice unless someone can come up with something else. Hopefully I can find a screw set (darn phillips) and the rest of the options I want before I start building the car (in the next couple weeks).

Also need to pick out a radio. I have a Nomadio React but the lack of receivers is annoying, and I don't want to use Spektrum receivers with it. That's just lame.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming! :D

-Eric

pasan
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Don't you have a Airtronics as well? Why not pick up one of those receivers?

rccardude04
08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I did, but I got rid of it. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

I might try to pick up a permanent replacement for my old Futaba 3PJS. M11/4pk/dx3r.. etc.

Anything wrong with the DX3s? I really like the telemetry. I know it's one of those gadgets that most people don't really care for after they've had it a while, but I still want it. :D

Otherwise, I could just go get another MX-3.

-Eric

pasan
08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
The DX3s telemetry is more suited for nitro, our of the box. As I remember, it can't measure battery voltage, you need the stand alone telemetry box what plugs into the Rx for that. I say go for an M11. Those things will never ever go out of fashion.

rccardude04
08-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Yeah, the M11 may be it. Since the FHSS3 M11-X is on the way, I might be able to get the FHSS2 version cheaper. :p

Could also give the DSSS a shot, but the FHSS2 has better range...

-Eric

Ihaveaxrayt2r
08-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Cup Racer... not so great to much fish talling!

Keep us posted when you get the car! Lol, if you get the TB-03D I want to see video! Of your bad driving! ;)

pasan
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Did you take a look at the Serpent S400? It looks to be built entirely of CF and Alu.

Ihaveaxrayt2r
09-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Any update?