PDA

View Full Version : A good nitro buggy for starters

SPKE
11-02-2009, 09:49 PM
what would a good nitro buggy for a beginners? I was thinking about the OFNA hyper 7. Any ideas?

crazydriver
11-02-2009, 11:37 PM
The hyper 7 looks like a nice buggy. I was looking at getting one when I decided to get my first 1/8 buggy. I was trying to decide between the Hyper 7 or the OFNA PICCO Off-Road buggy. I decided to go with the picco and I love it.:D
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48/products_id/29704/n/OFNA-Picco-Off-Road-RTR-1-8th-Off-Road-Buggy

SPKE
11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
thanks but I still think i'll go for the ofna hyper 7. I never heard of the picco, but i have more knowledge of the hyper 7.

crazydriver
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
thanks but I still think i'll go for the ofna hyper 7. I never heard of the picco, but i have more knowledge of the hyper 7.

The Picco and Hyper 7 are both good buggies I think you will be happy with what ever one you get.:D

fjames27
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I would also say get the hyper 7 but I am no longer going to reccomend it anymore. First of all there are many other buggies out there that are way better, the hyper 7 is more than 5 years old they just have some updated versions with different colored aluminum, different engines etc..etc..
Take the associated rc8 for instance. It has way better racing capabilities, IMO and I am sure alot of people would agree with me that AE is a much better company than Ofna. And when it comes to 1/8 buggies....there isin't "the toughest one" All buggies are going to be the strongest R/C's available, you don't need to go and start buying upgrades to make it stronger or anything like that. If you go with a RTR the stock engine in most of the buggies are enough power to keep you satisfied (you said for beginners)
Check your LHS and see what brand they carry most. if they stock lots of ae or losi, chances are when you break something you can go there and get the replacement part. If you go with a brand like Mugen or XRAY, I noticed alot of LHS's don't always carry XRAY parts and if they do they usually have a limited supply.
IMO, I would stay away from the hyper 7 in paticular. It is just an old buggy 'ya know? at least if your gonna go hyper check out the hyper 9 or atlest 8 or 8.5. but there are way better buggies. Wether it is going to be for a beginner or a pro. There isin't really a 'goog beginner buggy' All buggies are almost identical. Some just have more tuning options such as suspension tuning and what not.
I would check out the associated rc8, losi's 8eight, hyper 8 and 9.

JDT
11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
check with you local reacers, they are always upgrading, and many times they maintain them beyound anything you ever will and more often than not they got bags of spairs to go along with the chassis

flukeone
11-16-2009, 01:25 AM
fjames27, you actually opened my eyes there and i totally agree with you. i was already typing "hyper7 baaaabbbbyyy" when i came to think about it. I love that buggy cause it was my first nitro and it never let me down but that was more than 5 years ago. and they are still milking that buggy with the new hyper7.5 (basically a hyper7 with hyper8 suspension parts. and apparently its not for the US). so in short a agree with you. the hyper7 is awesome but there are new bugs out there worth checking out. actually if i was starting out again i think i would pick up an rc8 or a hyper8.5

SPKE
11-20-2009, 10:47 PM
all of these buggys look good but they are a little pricey. I really dont care if its old if it can run and have extra parts im fine with it. :)

cummins driver
11-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I think the hyper 7 would be fine. I personally think Ofna makes some good stuff when it comes to 1/8 nitro.

If you are looking at others, you might look into sportwerks. I had a Sportwerks Mayhem Pro which is kind of like the Turmoil they sell now and it was a sweet buggy IMO. It was built extremely tough and was just a nice buggy all around. All i did was bash it, no racing.

Eric

SPKE
12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
thats a nice buggy :D