PDA

View Full Version : Truggy to buggy shocks

bmrbob
06-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi, I just got back into rc after a few years. Used to race and bash stadiums. Always liked buggies though. I just picked up a used Ultra LX 1. Its mostly stock with a new motor and am trying to upgrade it a little to improve handling/performance. I will be driving this on the track, not competitively but towards friends. I have a few questions.

I know usually truggy shock are a bit longer, but I was wondering if Ofna Hyper St Pro truggy shocks would fit on an Ultra LX1 and still function correctly? I cant find any specs on the length.

What is the prefered suspension setup out there? (PBS, c-hub, etc)
Could/should I switch this from another Ofna buggy/would it be worth it?

These are some things im planning on getting regardless.
Hitec 645MG servo
Receiver pack
Hardened front brace
Tires

What other upgrades or modifications are main worries? Any other suggestions are appreciated. I hope get this thing performing a little better by some simple and cost friendly mods. Thanks alot!..

drummin89
06-25-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't know if the 645mg is set in stone on your list but for $5 more you can get this airtronics servo that has almost 200oz/in torque and is a bit faster than 645. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYZW9&P=7

I would think the shocks should fit. If we could find a manual for the hyper st it would say the length. Why do you want to use truggy shocks?

The ultra buggies are a pretty decent buggy out of the box for just messing around on the track. Ive had and still have a few myself. I like the PBS setup but I also have a lx-1e with the c-hub setup and that performed really well and it shares the same parts (c-hub and knuckle) with their higher end buggies/truggies (my jammin x2 crt truggy uses the same parts). I also had another ultra buggy with a different front setup (wasn't a PBS or c-hub setup), not sure on the proper name but I hated it, turned like a bus.

bmrbob
06-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the servo. I will most likely be getting the airtronics now.
There is a deal for all four for pretty cheap. Their big bore (14.5mm). Was originally looking for 16mm, at least for the front. I just didnt know if the lengths would work. Having them compressed all the time or something.
Im going to wait and see how new tires, servo, and receiver pack and maybe new shocks do before modifying the suspension type.

Any other suggestions to help mod or upgrade this little project are greatly appreciated. Thanks..