PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into hobby - What class vehicle to buy?

Kuttermax
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
After picking up the latest issue of RC Car Action and browsing various websites, I'm really get the bug to get back into the hobby. I previously raced 1/10th scale off road vehicles about 20 years ago (had a heavily modded original RC10 and a Tamiya Egress back in the day).

I'm now living in the Columbus, OH area and there seem to be a number of tracks around. The question is whether I should go nitro or electric, car or truck or even monster truck, RTR or kit??

There are obviously a ton of options. At first I thought a nitro monster truck would be a lot of fun (LST XXL looks really cool) but I'm concerned that this isn't a very popular class for racing.

In terms of buggies, I'd favor a 4wd option over 2wd, but am definitely not dead set on one over the other. In terms of electric, it seems that there is both a 1/10 and 1/8 scale class, but that 1/8 electric is relatively new and not very popular.

Finally, the short course trucks look interesting too!

Anyways, I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I'd like to get something that I can race with but also still have some fun with in the backyard. It would be nice to be able to race both in the summer and in the winter (I think there is some indoor racing in the Columbus area).

drummin89
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
One advice thats given alot for questions like these is to go to the tracks you plan to race at and see what everyone else is running. This way you don't buy and get stuck with something you can't race.

Because the way my local track is, its mainly for 1/8th scale buggies and truggies. Short course trucks would have a hard time making it around as the jumps are just way too big. So I have a truggy, buggy and a monster truck in my lineup. Though I did just pickup a new short course truck but it won't see much time on this track.

The nitro or electric decision is a hard one. I have both and each has its pros and its cons. Electric is SO MUCH EASIER. Throw in a charged pack and go. Nitro has the cool factor, the sound and smoke just pulls people in to check it out. It takes a bit more mechanical knowlegde and care though, with maintenance and tuning it can be a bit overwhelming to some. But once you learn the ins and outs of tuning its not so bad. This also comes down to what is ran at your local track.

brentgolden44
07-23-2010, 07:31 AM
What is the official scale of the Baja SS? Thanks

Kuttermax
07-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Ended up picking up a Kyosho RB5 SP2. Got it built and may take it out to a local track this weekend.