PDA

View Full Version : A little carnage and some newbie questions

71chevellejohn
10-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I finally got my XXXNT from ebay and had it running great. I made a small order for some parts to tweak it a little bit, but otherwise it's good to go.

Then last night, my buddy brings over his 1/8 Ultra LX1 to the shop and we start tearing up the street. All is going good until I get turned around into his path and we end up with what looks like a NTSB safety video between a semi-truck and pinto. I was driving the pinto....

The damage to the front of the XXXNT was pretty severe, The LX1 could have fled the scene if necessary.

Now for the questions:
1) All of the damage was suspension related, are the suspension components the same between all of the XXXT varieties? My truck is a XXXNT sport RTR II, but I have seen XXXT, XXXNT CR, XXXNT AD2, etc...

2)When looking at the new suspension parts I have seen some parts listed plain, other listed as graphite and of course some made of aluminum. Are the graphite parts an upgrade over stock or are they the same?

3)Are the aluminum parts worth the extra $$? It looked like I could spend more on aluminum than I did on the truck!

4) Where is the best place to buy parts online? My closest hobby shop is 180 miles one way. I ordered some parts from RCplanet, but they don't list all of he suspension parts I need to rebuild.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

st_dragn_wagen
10-09-2010, 02:14 PM
1) i think the front shock tower is the same. the rear i know is different because of the chassis/transmission differences between nitro and electric. pretty sure the front suspension arms are the same. rear suspension arms i think are different.

2/3) the plane parts id avoid like the plague. at least in my experiences with a XXXT the standard replacement parts have been ill-fitting brittle pieces of crap (at least on losi vehicles)
the graphite is "stronger". it's stiffer and a little lighter. typically racers use graphite parts. you can bash with them (im doing it) just be warned that in a hard crash the graphite parts wont flex and absorb the impact, they'll just snap. im running graphite rear suspension arms, rear shock tower and rear chassis plate (which your truck doesn't have because its nitro)
aluminum is good to a point. you just have to remember that once you beef up one part with aluminum the next weakest link is going to be the breaking point. it's also heavier, and once its bent, its bent. some parts are good to go aluminum. i don't know about the nitro but i know on the electric the rear pivot block (the part the rear suspension arms attach to) was a must. shock towers i wouldn't worry about to much if you run it with the body on it. suspension arms are hit and miss. again you just have to remember that once bent there bent. and they are going to cause the next weakest link to brake.

4) im not sure anymore. im lucky enough to have hobby shops and tracks locally. horizonhobby.com is the only place i know of online. im sure there's more (and probably cheaper) places but i don't know what they are.

tadium54
10-09-2010, 02:49 PM
check out tower or stormer

st_dragn_wagen
10-09-2010, 03:52 PM
tower doesn't stock losi

tadium54
10-10-2010, 03:11 AM
oh thats right. i wonder if you can order direct from horizon

Merc4Stroke
10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
www.losipartshouse.com

they carry associated stuff too.

They don't have everything you need all the time, but prices are good IMO.

71chevellejohn
10-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the answers to the first batch of ???'s.

I've got just about everything on order - except shocks. I can't seem to find all of the components to repair what I've got. So I am looking to buy a new set.

After looking at shocks all day, I am thinking about a set of Traxxas Big Bores part#5862 (http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Big_Bore_Shocks_Slash_p/tra5862.htm).
Though, I can't seem to find any measurements as to the length when compressed and length at full extension.

The stock shocks on my truck are 2.75"-3.75" up front and 3"-4" out back.
I think I will have room for more travel with the VLA arms that are on the way. So if these shocks are close they'll work.

BTW, are the shock mounts pretty well standard(screw thread, diameter, etc)?

st_dragn_wagen
10-12-2010, 01:14 PM
what's the diameter of the big bore shock body's? if you have to shim them out away from the shock tower to make them fit it could cause issues with the way the suspension arms and shock works. it may also cause truck body fitment issues.
just a thought

exactly what parts for the losi shocks can't you find?