PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas Summit LT coming to RC Car Action

MattHiggins
11-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Ever since I first saw the Traxxas Summit, I have wanted a more scale looking, 2.2-sized version. I wanted one and I wanted one bad, so I built one. You can read about it in the upcoming March issue of RC Car Action. For now, check out these images. I have run this truck and I can tell you that it bashes and crawls like a champ. I mean this truck can jump and really crawl.

marqueeRc
11-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice!!! Im trying to convince a buddy to get one..Love that it can handle jumping or crawling and damn near all terrain.

dale gribble
11-28-2010, 08:36 PM
^^^ Goes to buy new RCCA

I would love to see footage of that crawling along with traditional 2.2 platforms to get an idea of capabilities, specifically side hill and a controlled descent down a rock face.

Let me know if you need help testing it. :D

Nice job, looks great!

st_dragn_wagen
11-28-2010, 09:12 PM
i have no interest in that vehicle and here's why. it's not a monster truck, it's not a rock crawler, it's not a scale rig, it not a trail rig. it might be able to do some of the things those types of trucks can do, but it won't be able to do anything well.
it's trying to be to much at once

02edge2wd
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
so this is a summit with slayer suspension and 2.2's?

MattHiggins
11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
i have no interest in that vehicle and here's why. it's not a monster truck, it's not a rock crawler, it's not a scale rig, it not a trail rig. it might be able to do some of the things those types of trucks can do, but it won't be able to do anything well.

Since you haven't run this truck or seen it run yet, that's what I like to call a rush to judgement.:teacher: The one thing you got right is that this truck is not a monster truck. The original Summit is.

This truck does, however, crawl well. Is it a comp-level crawler? No, but so what?

You say it's not a scale rig or a trail rig. I guess that depends purely on how you define those types of vehicles. Is it a pure scale vehicle built to be realistic more than anything? No, but so what? It's far more realistic than any 2.2 crawlers you'll find at a high-level comp these days. I love my Axial XR10, but it is shaped like a football, not any truck I've even seen on a trail. I'd say this build very much is a trail rig. It blends performance with scale looks.

My point is this truck is a true RC hybrid: it crawls and bashes. It also looks more realistic than the original Summit. That was goal. I'd say I achieved. I know because I've run it.

MattHiggins
11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
so this is a summit with slayer suspension and 2.2's?

There's a little more to it than that.

MattHiggins
11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I would love to see footage of that crawling along with traditional 2.2 platforms to get an idea of capabilities, specifically side hill and a controlled descent down a rock face.

We can do that.

st_dragn_wagen
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I love my Axial XR10, but it is shaped like a football
you deserve an award for that comment, it was awesome :D

as far as its functionally, ill believe it when i see it. but as for now im thinking it crawls and drives trails about as well as a maxx or savage only with an uglier body. i hate those damn outer roll cage's. there is no way anybody is going to convince me they are functional or as safe as a proper cage, and they just look retarded

MattHiggins
11-30-2010, 09:12 AM
as far as its functionally, ill believe it when i see it.
Fair enough. I think that rule can be applied to any project. But, that's what we have videos for.

but as for now im thinking it crawls and drives trails about as well as a maxx or savage. That's exactly how it crawls ... if the Maxx or Savage in question was electric, had extremely low 70:1 gearing, locked front and rear diffs and rock crawling tires with memory foams.

Old_School_RC_1
11-30-2010, 09:47 AM

This is exactly the kind of idiotic comment that drove me away from this forum a few years ago. If you have no interest in it as clearly stated, why post just to tear it down? "It won't be able to do anything well..." I assume you've driven it then? Own some sort of special RC performance crystal ball? Not every RC has to be a top of the line, uber performance, comp spec crawler, racer, or scaler - sometimes they're built just for the fun of it or the thrilll of having something unique.

Remember people posting their rides that they spent a ton of time on, getting these kinds of comments, then just walking away. I was one of them. Just my 2 cents, take it any way you like.

In any case, I like it Matt, very much out of the box thinking.

MattHiggins
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I like it Matt, very much out of the box thinking.

Thanks. It's a fun truck. It isn't the fastest, but it is plenty fast enough to bash with. It jumps, does wheelies, spins the tires, kicks up dirt, etc. It won't win any crawling comps, but it can crawl. So far, I have been impressed with its crawling ability. I have a bunch of crawlers--2.2 and scale rigs. It isn't as capable as my 2.2 comp rigs, but it can pretty much crawl as well as most of my scale rigs. I only have two scale rigs built for scale comps, the rest are just for fun. This truck is just for fun. Its performance weaknesses are obvious--maneuverability (it's looong) and side hilling (it's got a high CG).

st_dragn_wagen
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
If you have no interest in it as clearly stated, why post just to tear it down? ?
three reasons.
1) it makes me feel like a big man :D
2) i like to bust the balls of authority and higgins is authority
and
C) my opinion even if bad can be used as market research that will lead to new and different projects in the future

"It won't be able to do anything well..." I assume you've driven it then? Own some sort of special RC performance crystal ball?
don't be silly, im no old school gypsy fortune teller. im a modern day hooligan, i got a magic 8 ball :D

MattHiggins
11-30-2010, 01:57 PM
As good as the internet gets, it is never very good at delivering the whole message. Specifically, the internet does a horrible job of communicating tone. I believe forums are a good example of that. One of my favorite says is "It's not always what you say, but how you say it." I believe that saying is 100% true, but on a forum you have very little control over how you say something. No matter how carefully you choose your words, the person on the other side of the "line" gets to decide the tone you're using.

We now return to your regularly programmed thread...

Caster Racing
11-30-2010, 07:44 PM
We like it. I have a berg that is pseudo scaler

kurrz
11-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Vids soon to come? Great Job Matt.:)

hijacker
12-01-2010, 12:14 AM
It looks really cool Matt, but green? No truck should ever be green.

MattHiggins
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
It looks really cool Matt, but green? No truck should ever be green.

The green is getting mixed reviews. I wanted something that looked like a real truck, not a RC truck. My thought was that many RC vehicles, specifically magazine review or project vehicles, tend to all look like show rides or race vehicles. I wanted something like you might actually see on the trails.

hijacker
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
The green is getting mixed reviews. I wanted something that looked like a real truck, not a RC truck. My thought was that many RC vehicles, specifically magazine review or project vehicles, tend to all look like show rides or race vehicles. I wanted something like you might actually see in on the trails.

I think you've achieved what you set out to do, it looks scale and like it would be a lot of fun to drive. I just think green is best saved for tractors. :p

marqueeRc
12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I think you've achieved what you set out to do, it looks scale and like it would be a lot of fun to drive. I just think green is best saved for tractors. :p

They say its the favorite choice of colors for geniuses!! lol

hijacker
12-01-2010, 02:05 PM
They say its the favorite choice of colors for geniuses!! lol

Could be Matt is a genius! I've certainly never been accused of being one.

ducati777
12-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I recently drove the axial SCX 10. It lookds like a defender, has a ladder chasis, 3 link solid axels, its about the most scale truck I've played with.

And it really didn't do anything well. It was slow, easy to tip, had little suspension travel, etc etc.

This truck, looks pretty slick. I've got a ERBE, and I think its a fantastic chasis, since it can be configured to do just about anything. This thread is just more proof of how flexible that design is.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/ee6c11ee.jpg

xxRyanTxx
12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Its definately a trail truck........Rock racer perhaps. I like it because it's not expected. What magazine project trucks used to be about. These days its let's see how aluminium we stuff into a Traxxas Slash. Boring.

jwaj2002
12-04-2010, 05:34 PM
so Matt... when are you going to let me test it out for you?

did you keep it waterproof?

crazy eddie
01-22-2011, 03:11 PM
What a great project! I wonder how this would do with a set of aluminum 2.2 wheels and some nice, tall HB rovers. Perhaps throwing a large 'New-Bright' body on? Saw the article in CarAction and it said there'd be vids but I can't seem to find any.

cbaker65
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I been eyeballin a summit body for my Ae Mgt,Not to
bash with,but for looks,I think they are awsome
lookin...:D:cool:

Burnout
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Wow, I happen to like this! You got rid of that stupid toyish New Bright look. Now that is how it should come from the factory. Can't really tell from the pics but I hope this isn't too wide.

Too bad it can't hold regular 2.2's let alone beadlocks. Those knuckles are too massive!

QUAKE&SHAKE
01-25-2011, 12:19 AM
You can read about it in the upcoming March issue of RC Car Action.

You guys really should change the name to Traxxas Action. They pretty much own yous anyways, do they get the cover yet again. This is the reason I dont subscribe anymore.

st_dragn_wagen
01-25-2011, 01:14 PM
You guys really should change the name to Traxxas Action. They pretty much own yous anyways, do they get the cover yet again. This is the reason I dont subscribe anymore.

i said that same thing 10 years ago

ducati777
01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
haters....

Yall should just agree that Traxxas is the mostest bestest company their is!

(I'ma fanboi)

cbaker65
01-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I guess they are ok,once you do away with all of
parts on them an replace them with aftermarket.
Do hate the 4tec,you have to litterly take it apart
to take the tank out,sheez,what ever happened
to simplicity...:huh::teacher:

QUAKE&SHAKE
01-26-2011, 12:33 AM
haters....

Yall should just agree that Traxxas is the mostest bestest company their is!

(I'ma fanboi)

Well not so much . Two people from my workplace have asked my advice for getting into the hobby the past year and a half and Ive directed them towards Traxxas and Redcat Racing and I helped them getting started. What Im mostly getting at is I feel RCCA is doing a DISSERVICE to the hobby in general by all the Traxxas coverage and leaving out the lesser known companies that would better help "diversify" this hobby.

ducati777
01-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Granted the older traxxas stuff is a pain. T-maxx, 4 tec, both pains to work on.

The new stuff is getting much better. The 4slash comes apart really easily. My erevo takes 1 bolt to get the motor out. Diffs are still some digging...

I was mostly exagerating in my earlier post. However, I'm not sure we need diversity, I'd like to see more standardized stuff, per my thread about the LHS trying to have everything, while at the same time not having much of any specific thing.

01-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Standardized parts, but diverse cars.

CEN, for example, uses one hub for their tenth scale stuff. That one hub fits all four corners of touring cars, stadium trucks, buggies, rally cars and monster trucks. I think they even use that hub on the 1/16 stuff as well.

That's the kind of standardization I think this hobby needs. One part, say a hub, that fits many vehicles from that brand. That way a hobby shop would only need to stock parts for one car to service many.

Even with things like control arms, one can standardize a bit. Say, you have an upper and a lower arm that's corner agnostic, and it fits all sorts of things. One arm may fit a monster truck, stadium truck and buggy. Another might fit touring and rally cars. Also, we can do it with gears as well. One set of spurs and clutch bells for one's whole nitro lineup, another set for one's whole electric lineup. Doesn't matter what kind of car it is, a gear from car A will fit car H.

MattHiggins
01-26-2011, 10:56 PM
so Matt... when are you going to let me test it out for you?

did you keep it waterproof?

You can drive it and I kept it waterproof

MattHiggins
01-26-2011, 10:57 PM
What a great project! I wonder how this would do with a set of aluminum 2.2 wheels and some nice, tall HB rovers. Perhaps throwing a large 'New-Bright' body on? Saw the article in CarAction and it said there'd be vids but I can't seem to find any.

I'll look into why the vids aren't up. Vids were shot

MattHiggins
01-26-2011, 11:03 PM

Check this out: If you take a year of RC Car Action magazines, add up all the covers, project vehicles and vehicle reviews that were dedicated to Traxxas products and you will see that they received a much smaller amount of coverage than Traxxas' actual market share. How do I know this? We do this for all the major brands. You might believe Traxxas gets a disproportionate amount of coverage, but they do not.

jwaj2002
01-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Matt are you gonna bring it out to me so I can drive it? I'll let you play with anything in my collection... well anything that currently runs atleast

ducati777
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
You might believe Traxxas gets a disproportionate amount of coverage, but they do not.

Listen buddy, you keep your facts and reality out of our conspiracy theory!

MattHiggins
01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Matt are you gonna bring it out to me so I can drive it? I'll let you play with anything in my collection... well anything that currently runs atleast

You'll have to come out here

MattHiggins
01-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Listen buddy, you keep your facts and reality out of our conspiracy theory!

LOL.

jwaj2002
01-28-2011, 08:16 PM
You'll have to come out here

uh... that doesn't work so well, you have to come to me, I'll take you for a ride in the show car
http://i56.tinypic.com/2s9vs5w.jpg
I'll even let you play with the lights and siren