PDA

View Full Version : Too many models. Whats the LHS to do?

ducati777
01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I like reading through the news section on this site. Some new products are really cool.

Often its an entirely new model, and while I love to see innovation, I feel like the market is getting saturated with models.

Maybe I'm romanticising the past, but it seemed like things were more standard. We had standard classes, now there are a ton of different scales, using different everything.

This is also why I'm loving Traxxas right now. Some are complaining all their new vehicles are just e-revos in different states. Good! Traxxas has all sorts of interchangable parts. They have at least 3 different pitch spur gears that will all go on a slash, or a stampede, or a revo, and the list goes on.

Also when I go to the LHS, I feel like they rarely have what I'm looking for. I think its because the shelf space is taken up with all these obscure models, now they're trying to carry parts for a lot more models.

/end rant.

st_dragn_wagen
01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
This is also why I'm loving Traxxas right now. Some are complaining all their new vehicles are just e-revos in different states. Good! Traxxas has all sorts of interchangable parts. They have at least 3 different pitch spur gears that will all go on a slash, or a stampede, or a revo, and the list goes on.

but when losi does it they are just repackaging *******s and everybody has to bust there balls about it. traxxas does it and they get praised for it my many while some complain about it. everybody bust's losi's balls. w.t.f?

anyway i agree with your argument. can't find ish for nothing anymore and nothing is never in stock. its like if the vehicle is over a year old you've almost got to hunt for parts. out with the old, in with the new. yet another reason i miss the old days. fewer classes, fewer manufactures, everybody was making the same kind of cars. it was a simpler time and a hell of a lot more fun because of it. today things are just to big, to fast paced, to complicated, and to frustrating

ducati777
01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I didn't take a stab at Losi... its just my fleet is currently traxxas.

Fleet. That might be an exageration, my 2 cars are traxxas.

But its a real double edge sword. Bring out a new model, its cool, but then its a host of new parts to look for. Bring out a spin off, and people call it unoriginal.

I think the end result is the death of the hobby store. We'll all buy from either ebay chop shops, or big online stores like tower.

st_dragn_wagen
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
if you had been paying attention you would have noticed this 10 years ago during the nitro MT craze. things were pretty smooth. then the nitro MT's hit big and everybody jumped on the bandwagon and hobby shops weren't able to keep up with it. to many "new" manufactures with to many new vehicles. they couldn't do everything. its just gotten more and more out of hand as time has gone on. this keeps up and yes the days of the local hobby shop are numbered.
the flip side of that is repackaging is boring and not going to hold peoples interests. i could see a manufacture putting out 3 or 4 vehicles based off the same chassis at one time. but to put them out over a 3 to 5 year period isn't making them any friends. then hobby shops could keep up with that vehicle and nobody has to bust the balls of the manufacture

ducati777
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
if you had been paying attention you would have noticed this 10 years ago during the nitro MT craze.

I bet you blame the tmaxx.....

I was around 10 years ago, but I was much more budget conscious. I didn't walk into the LHS ready to spend 100 bucks on tires, only to find they have every size I don't need.

st_dragn_wagen
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
yes and no. its one of those tip of the iceberg things. the tmaxx doesn't get 100% of the blame and its a touchy subject and a slippery slope so ill just let it go. don't need to turn this into another traxxas VS everybody else/RTR VS kit/nitro VS electric/old school VS noobs thread

ducati777
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
way to show restraint dude.

atm92484_3
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Also when I go to the LHS, I feel like they rarely have what I'm looking for. I think its because the shelf space is taken up with all these obscure models, now they're trying to carry parts for a lot more models.

Its expensive as all get out for shops to have a good supply of parts for a single new model. I seem to remember it costing the shop I worked for $500-$600 to get a good supply of Savage spares on the shelf and the money didn't come back immediately. It took several months if not over a year for many of those parts to finally sell; restocking them then was a no brainer but the initial investment can be large when you have 5-10 major vehicles hitting shelves every ~12 months.

I always wished one of the distributors would offer a sort of dealer parts pack to shops that consistent of common wear and tear items for each model. Whatever was left of the parts kit after a year could be sent back for reimbursement and then you would receive a new complete one. In the mean time as stuff sold you could restock as desired.

barnell
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I bet you blame the tmaxx.....

I was around 10 years ago, but I was much more budget conscious. I didn't walk into the LHS ready to spend 100 bucks on tires, only to find they have every size I don't need.

You could just call the LHS to see if they carry what you need before going and if they donít have them see if they can order it for you. Maybe they just ran out or didnít know there is a demand.

ducati777
01-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Going to the LHS is fun in itself. Even if they don't have what I'm looking for, maybe I'll see a new product. Or bump into someone I know.

Our local shop has been getting better. I got on them pretty hard over the summer. We had a local race, 60 entries, almost all short course trucks. I went to the store, they couldn't put together 4 matching racing tires and rims.

After I pointed out how silly that is, now they have a great selection of tires.

But... we have to recognize they can only do this because SC has a standard size on tires. If every brand made their own size rim, you'd never find a set.