PDA

View Full Version : New Truck??!!??

Oso M
02-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years, but I have the bug big-time again...

I have a few very old older 2-wheel and 4-wheel off-road buggies, electric. I have an HPI Nitro RS4 from about '99. I had a two-wheel drive truck back in the day, a Tamiya 'Monster Beetle' if any of you all remember that one... I always had so much fun with it.

I want a new, hot, parking lot banger. Something I can send over a few jumps, trudge through a dry creek bed, something that my dog can chase around the yard, that sort of thing. Those attributes all point to something crappy, but I want a serious and sophisticated machine. I also want blistering speed, great technology and materials. I want to see some of these 55MPH+ speeds these manufacturers are talking about.

I also want a kit, this RTR stuff seems to take the soul out of it.

I don't really even care wither its electric vs. nitro, 1/8 or 1/10. No budget limitations.

As a kid I spent hours pouring through the mags salivating over cars and dreaming about certain models... Now I'm grown up and can have anything I want... the irony is I don't know what to get!!

What would you get if you were me?

The upcoming Associated SC-10 looks interesting, some of the HPI trucks look cool and fast. Traxxas seems like all RTR and never appealed to me much.

Help me out!

As

ducati777
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I wanted the most capable vehicle out there... I ended up with the E Revo Brushless Edition. Not a kit, but I challenge you to find another chasis that can do more.

There's plenty of excellent cars out right now, but kits are getting rare. Don't let the kit thing stop you from finding your next car.

I strongly recommend you go brushless/lipo.

You should at least narrow your choice to a segment of cars... do you want a short course? a crawler? a monster? buggy? onroad?

Oso M
02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Truck of some sort for sure...

ducati777
02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
lol, that only helps a little.

Shooting from the hip it sounds like you want short course. Next decision is 2wd or 4wd.

Over the last 2 years or so I've become a bit of a traxxas fanboi, but I'll try to give you neutral ideas.

Slash in 2 or 4, an excellent basher, probably the most durable.

HPI Blitz, SC10 are winning at the track. They're lower to the ground, lighter, more tunable. Thats great on a track, but not so great for bashing. They have ball diffs, low ground clearance, stuff like that which detracts from bashing.

Not many 4wd choices. The new SC10 does look good though. I'm skeptical of the drivetrain, its belt drive with plastic gears internally. It'll be fine on 2s race setups, but if you go high horsepower you might start finding weak links.

You might want to look at electric 8th scale buggies too.

trugsta
02-03-2011, 06:38 PM
If your looking for a good basher that can handle just about every terrain you can throw at it you'd have to go with a 1/8 truggy or a 1/8 buggy or a monster truck like the savage.
nitro or electric dosent really matter seeming you dont plan on racing.
Be sure to take a look at parts availability for the model you plan on purchasing.
theres nothing worse than waiting months for parts.

andystoybox
02-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Stay with Traxxas. Why? Warranty, customer support and performance envelope.

Single battery or dual? If you're not going to race it really comes down to these two choices. Single you can buy a charger and two batteries. Dual you will buy a charger or two and four batteries.

Single, I would say the Stampede 4x4 is top on the list.

Dual, go with the brushless Revo or EMaxx.

Nuff said.

ps. wait around for about 30 minutes. This post is like chum to sharks. The kids will be in to bicker about Traxxas being the worst thing they have never owned.

bardynt
02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
hey

well i think there is few options i think the hyper 10sc is wicked truck i race it it metal chassis and its tuff

for a buggy the ve8 or rc8e eletric is a good choice

or in nitro buggy the hyper 9 is good choice

these we all race at the track so they have be fast and be able to handle bump and jumps at the track

Oso M
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Andy- good feedback, thanks. Been looking at the traxxas trucks online for the past hour... Slash premi looks good as well as the ones you mentioned.

Being the old schooler I'm just having a tough time getting my head around not building a the model from a kit.

bardynt
02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Andy- good feedback, thanks. Been looking at the traxxas trucks online for the past hour... Slash premi looks good as well as the ones you mentioned.

Being the old schooler I'm just having a tough time getting my head around not building a the model from a kit.

well why not build a ve8 kit i did alot of fun and learnt alot there is qute a few kits out there.

but i think most of the traxxas stuff is rtr already and in my opnion ready to run takes all the fun outta of it cause you dotn get to choose what motor contoller and stuff you want.

andystoybox
02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
The other thing I didn't mention is that most if not all tracks and stores support Traxxas. Check your support of spare parts before you do anything.

bardynt
02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
yer i agree with you there

are track dosent support traxxas at all but were i work most of the stuff we stock is either traxxas,tamiya or hpi.

So if youre going to race see what brands of car or truck they will let you race there before you fork out the big bucks for rc stuff

02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Savage kit might work. You can buy a reverse module and a nice radio, build it, and you're having fun.

hijacker
02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Hpi 5t.

rccardude04
02-04-2011, 01:33 AM
HPI Baja 5b SS. :D

It's not technically a truck, but is just as capable. If you want fenders, the 5T or 5SC is equally amazing a vehicle. 1/5 cars kick ass. :)

Done.

-Eric

Fastgas
02-04-2011, 08:39 AM
dont go with a clone on the hpi,you will be dissapointed. but the real thing does kick ass 4 sure.

drummin89
02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I agree if you got the cash, 5th scale is awesome. I just got my 5b SS used from another member on here a few months ago. It was in very nice condition when I got it and it ran me $500. I added a hydrualic brake kit to the front, some upgraded servos and a remote kill switch. Best thing is you can run for 45min on a tank of fuel, refuel and go again, and just 1 gallon costs around $5-10 (pump gas + 2 cycle oil) compared to nitro which goes for around $30. Might scare the dog a bit though.

1/8th scale buggy/truggy/monster is a good choice too. I have one and a few of each. A few HPI, a few OFNA/Jammin and a few Traxxas.

The comparison between bashing and racing always gets me. I kind of don't like to think of it as bashing when I run my cars, say at the park or in the front yard. It all depends on the person behind the transmitter. Not everyone who bashes runs their cars off their roof, off 10' jumps or into a swimming pool. In my case, running my cars on the local track is sometimes harsher then running them in my front yard. So to say a "race" designed rig isn't good for bashings doesn't always hold true, it just depends on how the person "bashes".

Oso M
02-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Drummin- thanks, agree with your bashing thoughts...

I've never been one to thrash my models, even the cheap ones.

I don't have a local track, unfortunately (it kind of shocks me that there isn't one in my area... another thread) so I'm going to spend most of my time running and tweaking it on my own.

I enjoy running in big parking lots with all the real-life bumps, cracks, manhole covers and stuff. I like controlled jumps and speed. I'm not going to get a thrill out of spraying mud. I wouldn't compare myself to the typical noob, 14 year old basher. I like to set out my own course and track my times, and tweak the thing out for the perfect handle.

I'm very attracted to the HPI Savage (both Flux HP Brushless and the X SS Nitro Kit). Even thought the electric version is RTR.

There is a lot of appeal in the performance of the Traxxas E-Revo and Maxx brushless models. But again, RTR just bothers me for some reason.

The new Associated SC10 with 4 wheel drive is probably going to be great. But given the fact that I probably won't be competing on a local track- is there and reason to limit myself to that form-factor? Maybe I'm wrong in assuming the monster-ish type models are better for my purposes?

As far as nitro vs. electric it seems like the electric may be the way to go, less mess, less noise, more time focused on running and and handling tweaks. Thoughts?

I have an old HPI Nitro RS4 that's will serve to quench my thirst for Nitro... I think?!?!?

Thanks to all you guys for the continued feedback- very helpful.

ducati777
02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Wow, lots of good advice around here.

Just to get your feet wet, the new 4xStampede does look like a ton of fun.

I didn't even think about the Baja... what a great car. One day I'll try 5th scale.

Bashing vs racing... it really is 2 different worlds. I didn't really get it until I started racing. Racing rigs are low power, light weight type setups. The low power thing is the funny part. When racing, I run a 3000 mah 2s, through a 2200kv 540 sized brushless. Top speed is right around 20 mph.

Boring right? But its all our local track needs.

When bashing, at my most power thirsty, I was running an 8th scale 550 motor, through dual 3s 5000 mah batteries. I think I hit 60 mph, but I've got no real proof. Best gps I had was 52, but that wasn't the most crazy setup I ran.

Bashing tires are more for durability, I belt every tire I think will see the outdoors now. Race tires are stupidly soft and will tear if you throw any real power at them....

So its not so much that I expect you guys to jump off a cliff, but the setup for a parking lot SHOULD be much different that your setup for a race track.

ducati777
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/53575524.jpg

Race tire, and motor...

Vs bashing...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/P1010060.jpg

Notice the fans for heat, the more durable tires, gyro, tough to tell but the motor is much larger, as are the batteries used...

If I took my race setup bashing, you'd be bored. If I bring the bash setup, good luck keeping it on its wheels.