PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Traxxas

nu64man
11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
What happened to Traxxas? We are near the end of 2011 and all they released are rehashes of old RC models...

What happened to this company in 2011?

11-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Success, to put it succinctly. Why innovate when you can just toss new wheels, tires and control arms on Revos and call it a new car?

SuburbnHooligan
11-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Why innovate when you can just toss new wheels, tires and control arms on Revos and call it a new car?
because it shows how lazy and uncreative you are?
but that's what happens when you become full of yourself and rely solely on brand recognition for everything.
and think about it, they have to use the revo. it's the only modern platform they've got.

that company needs a massive overhaul!

Old_School_RC_1
11-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Success indeed. No problem with taking time to work on branding, sponsorships and name recognition. Been a good year over there.

It is time for a new model though, no doubt about it.

blue4uevo8
11-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Its still hard to find anything that will compete with the E-revo and with the length of time its been in production there is a lot of aftermarket support.

bug_racer
11-18-2011, 03:59 PM
if you put it in the truggy class it gets it butt kicked. if you put it in the monster truck class yeah it does good. but. it's not really a proper monster truck. it's part truggy, part monster truck. losi coined a term that works real well for it "muggy".
and id wager the muggy could clean the revos clock.

i raced a second hand bullet and SRT back in the day. pretty damn good for there time. and they could both run circles around there predecessors. ever sense then traxxas haven't been able to do or make crap. it's been a slow precession of one poorly designed, badly engineered, and cheaply built vehicle after another.

they need to axe pretty much everything in there line up and just start over from scratch. they need a bullet 2, an SRT2. they need to axe the 4tec and replace it. they need to axe the 2wd stampede and focus on the 4x4 stampede. they need to axe the slash and come out with a slash 2 based off the SRT2. the slash 4x4 i know absolutely nothing about other than people like to bitch that debris finds it's way to the shaft so at the very least that needs to be taken care of. the slayer is a failure. they need to axe the t&e maxx and slightly redesign and refine the revo into a proper monster truck.
they should have been doing this car by car over the past 16 years. but haven't bothered. they've probably put out fewer new cars than anyone in the past 16 years. 99% of there current lineup is out dated. they have become a pathetic waste of space.

iv gone from liking them and running there cars. to hating there guts with a passion.

AK4WD
11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Huh, this is kind of an eye opener. I've not owned a Traxxas vehicle, my cousin has one though and he's a big fan. I guess neither of us race, so that may have something to do with it. I had thought them to be close to the top of the heap and that the REVO was the thing to have. Is it primarily handling issues? Broken components? Looking at the vidyas on the web, the REVO seems to be a really, really fast vehicle.

bug_racer
11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
it is fast in a straight line. handling wise its better than a monster truck but not something to use in gymkhana.
durability wise it's no different than any other monster truck.
they are also kind of a pain to work on sometimes. that on board shock set up clutters up the chassis.

it's king of the traxxas lineup, but then again it doesn't really have any competition. but id say it's only average when compared to trucks offered by other manufactures

AK4WD
11-18-2011, 06:03 PM
So the top end REVO is around $800 and the Kyosho ST-RR Evo is about $850, are we talking apples to elephants here?

bug_racer
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
yeap, 2 different types of trucks, can't compare them. the revo is a truggy, monster truck hybrid. the ST-RR Evo is a truggy and nothing but. a truggy is not a monster truck, a truggy is a stadium truck built off an 1/8 buggy platform. on a race track the kyosho would kill the revo. at the bash spot it would depend on what you were doing and what kind of terrain you were on

AK4WD
11-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Huh. . . I had thought the Revo quite the futuristic thing. All the sealed, splined drive shafts and whatnot. Plus "waterproof".

bug_racer
11-18-2011, 06:46 PM
the telescoping drive shafts that traxxas uses aren't really what id call "futuristic". id call them traxxas drive shafts. they are the only company i know of that uses that type of shaft. it's not a new design, they've been using them for 20+ years. which kind of leaves me wondering if they are really all that good why has no one else tried them? when it comes to waterproof, just the electronics are waterproof. and you can put those in anything. strip the electronics and no one chassis is more waterproof than another.

like i said. when compared to other trucks from other manufactures its just an average truck. the reason people believe it to be more is because traxxas markets it so well

11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
The main issue with the revo is that it thinks it's two things at once. It's trying to be a jack of all trades and ends up being a master of none. That big reversing gearbox, smallblock high-RPM screamer and the enormous tires with huge lugs render it subpar as a truggy, but the inboard shocks, low-slung nature, cramped chassis and low-profile tires render it less than stellar as a monster truck.

Do not want.
because it shows how lazy and uncreative you are?
but that's what happens when you become full of yourself and rely solely on brand recognition for everything.
and think about it, they have to use the revo. it's the only modern platform they've got.

that company needs a massive overhaul!

Oh I agree, it's why I don't want a Traxxas. Everyone else is tinkering and refining existing models and outright replacing others. Traxxas is content with rebadging Revos and raking in the easy money.

Put me in charge of Traxxas for a couple years, we'll see them pull an about face and start producing good cars. It may alienate the noobs who think Integy makes good stuff, but it will mean the company is better respected by the majority of the RC community.

AK4WD
11-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Right on, right on. So the differentials and whatnot on the Traxxas units aren't sealed with o-rings or anything like that? I had thought that the additional linkage in the suspension on the Traxxas units would increase the friction quite a bit. It looks kind of cool though. Is it because of the suspension components, A-arms and the like that it isn't an actual "race" truggy?

bug_racer
11-18-2011, 08:22 PM
not 100% sure but it might have sealed diffs in it. but it doesn't really matter. shocks are sealed and oil filled and dust, dirt, and water get into those. the drive shafts do generate some friction but unless they have a problem or are damaged it's not enough to cause any issues. the only reason to use telescoping drive shafts is to compensate for suspension travel and /or limit the possibility of a standard driveshaft popping out of the diff outdrive. the suspension on the truck is just a run of the mill pivot ball set up only instead of the shock being attached to a shock tower and the lower suspension arm it's got a cantilever set up on it. which i wouldn't say is superior, it's just different

BashemSmashem
11-20-2011, 11:47 AM
It has sealed diffs . All you Traxxas haters are funny , most dont own Traxxas products they just bad mouth them cause they market too the newbie/basher side of R/C .

How long has the Savage platform been around ? The LST ? Granted HPI and Losi are not just throwing on different wheels and body and calling it something else but they hang on to designs for a long time as well . Why fix it if it aint broke ?

BTW , How much do you guys think the R&D and set up cost to produce a totally new car would be ? I would guesstimate at least in the high six figure range .

The REVO is STILL the best selling MT after several years , why ? Cause it flat out works and works great .

Am I a Traxxas fanboy ? Far from it , Most of my R/C's are Losi now but I do still own an E REVO and Mini E REVO (had a nitro REVO , Slash and Slash4x4 but sold them)and both have given me MANY hours of enjoyment .

bug_racer
11-20-2011, 03:05 PM
All you Traxxas haters are funny , most dont own Traxxas products they just bad mouth them cause they market too the newbie/basher side of R/C .

iv owned 7 traxxas cars in the past. i went from a fan to a world class hater. back in the day i spent many hours and many dollars trying to make cars that are still in production work. they couldn't cut it back then, they are even worse off now. waste of time and money. iv been there and lived that and what i preach is so gospel i should be passing the collection plate.

How long has the Savage platform been around ? The LST ? Granted HPI and Losi are not just throwing on different wheels and body and calling it something else but they hang on to designs for a long time as well . Why fix it if it aint broke ?

we aint talking about HPI and losi. you want to do that start a new thread. if we were id be one of the first to point out that losi made the same xxx/xxxt platform for 10 years. that they've rebadged it a good 4 times. that there parts support has gone to crap. that they have had several small scale failures. that for every good thing horizon has done with the losi brand name they have done 2 to wreck it.
you want to talk HPI? they replaced the RS4 2 with the inferior RS4 3. then had an epiphany and made the pro 4. i believe that to be gone and now and they have that peace of crap sprint. which is RS4 2 based! lets talk about the blitz and the steering and minor turning issues it has right out of the box. pretty bad when even the ese model needs aluminum steering cranks right out of the box. and as you pointed out the savage much like every other MT to have been made in the past 15 years still has the same chassis it had when it was still a pre-production model

why fix it if it aint broke?
if you don't do something new and creative every now and then people lose interest and change to something else. the playstation generation all have ADD and you have to smack them in the head with a curveball every 15 minutes or they wonder off into traffic. they have switched from MT's to short course. not because its better or more fun. but because they were bored with the same old MT's and SC was the first "new" shiny object they saw. if the manufactures had dropped a MGT 2, savage 2, maxx 2, MT's would have held interest and would still be popular, instead of a segment that is slowly going the way of the dinosaur because it's old and relays on outdated chassis design and is therefore boring.

The REVO is STILL the best selling MT after several years , why ? Cause it flat out works and works great

simply put, it's one of the newest design MT's on the market and the most repackaged truck off all time.
it works. but only on the track VS other MT's. and only because it's part truggy. when you put it against truggys it gets violated. and at the bash spot it's just another average MT.
it's nothing special

mudshredder
11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
They ran the BLMs to the ground with re releases.Squirrelod explains it well in detail.http://youtu.be/AjE_ngBRGS4?t=9s
I hope they come out with something new.I think a new MT with revo/maxx hybrid suspension would be cool.Like have the front with revo suspension and the rear maxx.Or some kind of new MT instead of another revo or maxx re release.Would like to see a 4wd buggy also that isn't a bandit.And a 1/8 real truggy with 8 spyder bulletproof diffs.And diff cups be aluminum.I know traxxas is a RTR only type,but I would like to see them do kits also.

SuburbnHooligan
11-20-2011, 06:08 PM
they used to make kits (made race cars to). one of the guys i bashed with back when had a rustler kit. i helped him put it together. id like to see them get back to that as well. see if we couldn't get people enthusiastic about building again. a few new cars in the lineup also offered as kits could do it.

BashemSmashem
11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
iv owned 7 traxxas cars in the past. i went from a fan to a world class hater. back in the day i spent many hours and many dollars trying to make cars that are still in production work. they couldn't cut it back then, they are even worse off now. waste of time and money. iv been there and lived that and what i preach is so gospel i should be passing the collection plate.

Well , IDK maybe you were doing something wrong ? Either that or ten of thousands of other hobbiest just get lucky with their Traxxas R/C's :huh:

we aint talking about HPI and losi. you want to do that start a new thread. if we were id be one of the first to point out that losi made the same xxx/xxxt platform for 10 years. that they've rebadged it a good 4 times. that there parts support has gone to crap. that they have had several small scale failures. that for every good thing horizon has done with the losi brand name they have done 2 to wreck it.
you want to talk HPI? they replaced the RS4 2 with the inferior RS4 3. then had an epiphany and made the pro 4. i believe that to be gone and now and they have that peace of crap sprint. which is RS4 2 based! lets talk about the blitz and the steering and minor turning issues it has right out of the box. pretty bad when even the ese model needs aluminum steering cranks right out of the box. and as you pointed out the savage much like every other MT to have been made in the past 15 years still has the same chassis it had when it was still a pre-production model

Gee thanks for the advice :rolleyes: , I will consider it but I was just trying to show that the other big names in R/C also do the same thing as traxxas

why fix it if it aint broke?
if you don't do something new and creative every now and then people lose interest and change to something else. the playstation generation all have ADD and you have to smack them in the head with a curveball every 15 minutes or they wonder off into traffic. they have switched from MT's to short course. not because its better or more fun. but because they were bored with the same old MT's and SC was the first "new" shiny object they saw. if the manufactures had dropped a MGT 2, savage 2, maxx 2, MT's would have held interest and would still be popular, instead of a segment that is slowly going the way of the dinosaur because it's old and relays on outdated chassis design and is therefore boring.

IDK what too even respond with here ? We aint talking about ADD , If you want to discuss the Playstation generation and their ADD make a new thread about it ?

simply put, it's one of the newest design MT's on the market and the most repackaged truck off all time.
it works. but only on the track VS other MT's. and only because it's part truggy. when you put it against truggys it gets violated. and at the bash spot it's just another average MT.
it's nothing special

IDK why people say the REVO is part truggy ? It meets all of the criteria of a Monster Truck and shares nothing with any truggy design I've ever seen ?
Hobbiest like to bulid them to look like truggies but you can do it too any MT and no matter what tires you put on or how low you make it thats what it will handle like .

ducati777
11-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Now hang on here....

The E revo BL is, in my opinion, the most capable rc chasis out there. With exception to the diffs, there isn't much you could improve upon with the ERBE.

The 4x4 Slash was new this year right? That was a fairly original design too.

I agree they've spent a lot of time on branding... but it is a business afterall.

If you wanna hate on Traxxas, take a stab at their overly moderated forums. Something we get the joy of experiencing here now too!

SuburbnHooligan
11-21-2011, 08:11 PM
IDK why people say the REVO is part truggy ? It meets all of the criteria of a Monster Truck and shares nothing with any truggy design I've ever seen ?
Hobbiest like to bulid them to look like truggies but you can do it too any MT and no matter what tires you put on or how low you make it thats what it will handle like .

it's got a low CG and lower ground clearance chassis and the body is channeled down over the chassis a lot more than a standard monster truck giving it a lower sleeker look that's very reminiscent to a truggy. it comes with slightly lower profile tires and people keep putting wings and truggy wheels and tires on them. it's considered more a "race car" compared to other monster trucks and people don't associate monster trucks with race cars, but they do associated truggy's with race cars.

see it just fits right in the middle.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m524/suburban_hooligan/RCCA%20Forum/thelineup.jpg

BashemSmashem
11-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Just because it LOOKS like a truggy does not make it one .

Truggies have a flat chassis and the diffs are mounted above it , a center diff , no 2 speed and no reverse tranny .

The REVO stock has reverse , a 2 speed tranny , no center diff stock , and the diffs are mounted under the chassis .

No matter what tires you put on or what wing you put on its still a Monster Truck by design underneath , albeit a MT with a LCG design that corners well . And I have seen quite a few Truggyized Savages , MGT's , and LST2's as well , heck before Truggies showed up all there was Monster Trucks to race and it was a huge class .

My Nitro Race REVO
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr58/KRO4u/IMG_0068.jpg
My Race LST2
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr58/KRO4u/LST2pic1.jpg
My MGT
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr58/KRO4u/IMG_0051.jpg
Just using pics of my trucks as examples. All were built too look like a Truggy but none could perform like one .

SuburbnHooligan
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Just because it LOOKS like a truggy does not make it one .
so just because it looks like a rally car means it's still just a TC and can't be used in the dirt?
it means basically the same thing.

Truggies have a flat chassis and the diffs are mounted above it , a center diff , no 2 speed and no reverse tranny .

there was a time when monster trucks matched that description. remember the nitro USA-1, duratrax nitro quake, ofna monster pirate.

The REVO stock has reverse , a 2 speed tranny , no center diff stock , and the diffs are mounted under the chassis .
those are recent additions to monster trucks. think outside the box. maybe those things are new additions to truggys. it only takes one vehicle to change everything. blew your mind didn't i.

BashemSmashem
11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
:D:D:D:D

so just because it looks like a rally car means it's still just a TC and can't be used in the dirt?
it means basically the same thing.

Not the same thing IMO ... A rally car IS is TC with off road tires and shocks , where its driven doesnt change its underlying design

there was a time when monster trucks matched that description. remember the nitro USA-1, duratrax nitro quake, ofna monster pirate.

These were just buggies with axle extenders and big tires and extra shocks ? Still not really an MT as they stand today .....

those are recent additions to monster trucks. think outside the box. maybe those things are new additions to truggys. it only takes on vehicle to change everything. blew your mind didn't i.

Everything in RC evolves if it didnt the hobby would die , MTs evolved into what they are today , those trucks you listed being based on buggies ARE much closer in design too a Truggy than a REVO is IMO but thats not where the MT design went.
Truggys were the death nell of MT racing when GS brought out the SUT(probably the first true Truggy IMO) and Marty Korn dominated with it , so much so that it was banned from racing with MT's and soon after other manufactures started bringing out there own buggy based trucks , hence the word Truggy .

blue4uevo8
11-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Again, with keeping the same model around so long it has great aftermarket support and nearly everyone has parts for it. How many times on a Saturday or sunday afternoon have you broke a part? With my E-Revo I can usually run up to the shop and pull one off the shelf, crisis adverted.

ducati777
11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
The truggy vs MT thing is really only a racing argument.

I'll agree there are more capable race chasis out there. Thats why I own a SC10... its the race truck.

But as a basher? I can't think of another chasis that lets you do more than the Revo. You can run as a GTP car, ralley car, drifter, monster, truggy, buggy, SC.... and do all of those fairly well.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/418b2c69.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/05e27896.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/2b87df58.jpg

All same truck...

But Traxxas themselves? They're doing ok. A little too kid oriented in my mind, but I'm sure that was carefully considered.

Old_School_RC_1
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
^^ and with a few slayer parts, make a SC truck out of it as well. Love my Revo, favorite, most reliable nitro I've ever owned.

BashemSmashem
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
The truggy vs MT thing is really only a racing argument.

I'll agree there are more capable race chasis out there. Thats why I own a SC10... its the race truck.

But as a basher? I can't think of another chasis that lets you do more than the Revo. You can run as a GTP car, ralley car, drifter, monster, truggy, buggy, SC.... and do all of those fairly well.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/418b2c69.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/05e27896.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/2b87df58.jpg

All same truck...

But Traxxas themselves? They're doing ok. A little too kid oriented in my mind, but I'm sure that was carefully considered.

^^ and with a few slayer parts, make a SC truck out of it as well. Love my Revo, favorite, most reliable nitro I've ever owned.

No argument from me there , the REVO/EREVO is a "Jack of all trades but a master of none". Probably will go down as one of the most important and innovative designs in R/C history as it was a game changer when it was released IMO .

That being said , I still like my LST2 better than my REVO :p

andystoybox
11-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Guess what. Traxxas has an announcement on the 30th. I hope it's not a Tamiya scam (x2).

BashemSmashem
11-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Has it been 10 years since they released the REVO ?

crazyjr
11-26-2011, 05:25 PM
There is one thing nobody has said about the revo design, It's winning legacy. Nobody likes a winner in any sport, From Gordon, to Johnson, To Force. The revo is the undefeated RC Pro national champ, 5 times i think, and a, at least, two time ROAR Champ. I'll grant The LST dethroned and broke the win streak, in the last MT national. To put that in perspective, There is only one rc that had a bigger streak than the revo, The RC10GT. From it's release in the 90's, it won every national till the GT2 came out, over 15 years. The GT2 continued the legacy with a win in the last nitro ST national the same year as the losi broke the revo streak.

I'm not a traxxas fanboy, I'm a racer and if MT was running here i would run a revo, No questions asked. I would like to see a Jato based E-st