PDA

View Full Version : Gettin paid for rc....

ducati777
03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I recently started doing rc repair for pay. Had one guy that bought a couple of cars, but didn't want to, or didn't have the tools to solder up connectors, install ESC, simple stuff like that.

I sold him some gear, got him on the road, then started thinking there might be others out there who need help. I made an ad on craigslist and I've actually been getting customers.

I'm not making much, pretty much breaking even. The real payment is getting to work on and drive new to me cars. Its also fun knowing I'm getting cars on the road that would just be sitting in a box somewhere instead.

CLICKY (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/RC%20Cars/Repairs/)

^^ album of customer cars.

ducati777
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Just finished up another customer car, a Savage X. Still have to finish up a MERV-BL, and that same 4tec is back.

nitros.... reminds me of why I'm all electric now.

I'm still getting a kick out of getting my hands on all these random cars. I feel like its been teaching me a lot, when I'm already pretty competent with rc.

It seems most cars have the same theme of issues. The car has been neglected, and so cleaning key parts like bearings, bushing, etc goes a long way. Then all the linkage is usually out of alignment. After that if they want the deluxe treatment, I'll service the diffs, and do new shock oil all around.

Basic maintenance for the most part...

Admin2
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I used to build all Custom 1/5th scale cars for customers. There are a lot of people out there that just don't have the time or mechanical know how to get what they want.

I did as you did just ran ads on craigslist and ebay and in the small newspaper in town. I live in an area where there isn't an RC shop for 100 miles so people were always bringing me their stuff to get fixed.

I sort of miss it but after 12 billion screws my hands and arms don't lol

RACECRAFTERS
04-09-2012, 01:27 AM
I' ve been doing the same for years, but as you say, it doesn't make money. I pretty much also break even.

I do however find it difficult to explaining to customers when it takes ages in locating parts that are harder to find but when their faces light up after they see their 'irrepairable' cars working again is very rewarding. :driving: