PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Old Timers!!!

4wdmt
05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
With reference to rc10mike's thread: What happened to this place?

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=258949

I checked some of those regular members profiles and some are still checking in presently or just recently. You know who you are guys. Those whose joined date of before or early part of year 2000 and has thousands of post under your belt...what you've been up to???

Can we have a shout out?

Reply back if you are still alive :D

As for me, still into RCs...but helicopters this time. What about you?

rccardude04
05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Does '02 count? It appears to for you so I'm in. :p

I've been here. Just kinda chillin', waiting for everything to start hoppin' again.

Also I've been playing with airplanes, helis, racing during winter, and now have an '94 Miata that's about maxxed out per SCCA Solo stock class rules. Next step, STR. :p

We need to have a reunion. :) lol

-Eric

Grizzbob
05-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I still lurk a good amount(& will chime in on a subject if I feel I can contribute something useful), & I still race, though onroad has completely died in Oklahoma(which means I do it on the dirt now, have a Tamiya DB01R & TRF201, & may run an Associated SC10 once in a blue moon)....:cool:

StevePond
06-01-2012, 01:24 AM
If I don't reply, does that mean I'm NOT an old timer? :huh:

streetracer
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Steve, everyone knows your an old timer weather you speak or not. ;)

cbaker65
06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Steve, everyone knows your an old timer weather you speak or not. ;)

It appears that his age is 42,387,798....:wowser:...:cool:

Toyotatogo
06-07-2012, 09:51 PM
If I don't reply, does that mean I'm NOT an old timer? :huh:

OMG! It's Steve Pond :o

Lumix
06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
When I started racing I did not have a computer.....quit just about the time I got one, about 10 years ago...so if I had a computer then I would have been here but all that doesn't count does it.....The older you get the more you will realize that nothing ever stays the same and that people will come and go...Enjoy what you have today as best you can because change is inevitable....I like having a resourse like this to check out what is going on......I do not have spare money right now for RC stuff. If that changes I will probbably go to brushless in my good old RC10T2....

4wdmt
06-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Lumix, I have to agree with you. When I started...I was addicted SO much with this hobby. That came with boat loads of money spent with it. But the passion and enthusiasm somehow fizzled out through out the years. I guess, much old timers are just like me now...just dropping by here and take a quick peek of what is the newest with our hobby - but that is pretty much it. The 2 monster trucks that I have are for my kids now to play with. I know longer run them. I am lately hooked with helicopters. It gives another excitement with this hobby. But then, for how long also. As you say...people come and go and I have to agree that age is a big factor.

Surfer_Girl
06-08-2012, 06:07 PM
age is probably the biggest factor. most of us no doubt started using the forum as teenagers when the forum was still pretty new and we had our weekly allowance money to blow. time and money were plentiful. 10+ years later and we've all grown up and moved on with life and know we've got jobs, bills, kids, and significant others. me for example, just in the past 4 years iv gotten a good job, had 2 kids, gotten engaged, and bought a house. 3 of those things have happened in the last year alone. i don't have time to check the forum anymore. time to dive my SC8e? forget about it.
we grew up and had to leave it to the next generation.
the new generation isn't into it the same way we were. they don't have the same interests in it that we had. we treated it like a hobby, as if our RC's were just smaller scale versions of the real thing. we spent a lot of time with a taken apart RC, modifying, personalizing and tuning in an attempt to be different and better then the next person. the new generation treats RC more like toys. they aren't really interested in the mechanical side of it, they just want to go to the BMX trails or skateparks and huck the fastest truck they can afford off the biggest jump they can find. they treat it more like play time than an in-depth multi part hobby. they don't have the same appreciation for it. they aren't as involved in it as we were, so they don't socialize about it the same way we did. which reflects in how dead this place is.

now for my shout out. hi, im still alive!

rc10mike
06-09-2012, 09:57 PM
age is probably the biggest factor. most of us no doubt started using the forum as teenagers when the forum was still pretty new and we had our weekly allowance money to blow. time and money were plentiful. 10+ years later and we've all grown up and moved on with life and know we've got jobs, bills, kids, and significant others. me for example, just in the past 4 years iv gotten a good job, had 2 kids, gotten engaged, and bought a house. 3 of those things have happened in the last year alone. i don't have time to check the forum anymore. time to dive my SC8e? forget about it.
we grew up and had to leave it to the next generation.
the new generation isn't into it the same way we were. they don't have the same interests in it that we had. we treated it like a hobby, as if our RC's were just smaller scale versions of the real thing. we spent a lot of time with a taken apart RC, modifying, personalizing and tuning in an attempt to be different and better then the next person. the new generation treats RC more like toys. they aren't really interested in the mechanical side of it, they just want to go to the BMX trails or skateparks and huck the fastest truck they can afford off the biggest jump they can find. they treat it more like play time than an in-depth multi part hobby. they don't have the same appreciation for it. they aren't as involved in it as we were, so they don't socialize about it the same way we did. which reflects in how dead this place is.

now for my shout out. hi, im still alive!

Well said! I couldnt agree more!

rccardude04
06-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Well said! I couldnt agree more!

+1 That sounds about right. :D

Also, YouTube seems to be the new forum for asking questions about things. From rc assistance to car repair, it's all got an expert and answer on YouTube. :)

-Eric

Kmot
07-01-2012, 12:52 AM
I've been here awhile. I used to post under the name "Old Phart" but lost my password and could not get logged in. So eventually I re-registered under Kmot. I mostly lurk. ;)

StevePond
07-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Wow. Good to see everyone who was part of the original forums. Notwithstanding a few idiots, the forums were a great deal of fun, exploring a new method of communicating and sharing information. It's good to see so many of you still "around" on some level. Those of us that grew up in the RC hobby never really leave it - we just take some long breaks every now and then. ;o)

rccardude04
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Notwithstanding a few idiots,...

Yeah I thought we got rid of you finally... :p

-Eric

bug_racer
07-02-2012, 09:57 PM
i guess im an old timer. still come around once in a blue moon. still active in RC, just don't hit forums anymore. RC has changed and there's no point anymore

edit: and my user name is majorly outdated

TheLaxPlayer
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I still lurk from time to time, but I'm an old married man now...

zueslilbuddy
07-15-2012, 08:42 AM
I guess I would be one of the newer old timers from the looks of the join dates I see.
Currently I still run rc's.
I have three.
GS Storm SUT (discontinued for like 10 or more years) that I beat the snawts out of
like it owes me blood money.
KM5B with 30.5cc cy engine.
Traxxas Slash 2wd

GS Storm SUT E-converted Hobbyking 120amp esc 1900kv x-long can motor 4s
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/zueslilbuddy2/DSCF4435.jpg

KM5B 30.5cc
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/zueslilbuddy2/DSCF4495.jpg

Slash 2wd MM ESC 2950kv 1/8 scale motor 3s beater.
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/zueslilbuddy2/DSCF4489.jpg

Going to try to be more active here, hope to see some more old timers.

traxxas-dude
08-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Well I guess I count as one of the "founding fathers" based on join date. :)

I'm not so much into RC anymore, and the RC community has changed so much. I have a Revo 3.3 I've been trying to sell for over a year. Back in its hayday I'd be able to sell it on these forums in the matter of days. Sadly this place has become a ghost town.

The main reason I'm not into RC anymore is the fact I joined this site when I was 12, I'm now nearly 25, and am married and have a real life to live, so R/C is a VERY VERY small fraction of my life, as to where it used to be my life. I used to have 22 cars, 3 airplanes, and 2 helis that were supported by 2 jobs that I got starting at 14 (back when that was still legal), and I had nothing but RC to spend my cash on. Times have changed, as is very apparent by looking around.

But I guess I'm technically still alive. :)

-Ryan

Old_School_RC_1
08-03-2012, 07:46 AM
the new generation isn't into it the same way we were. they don't have the same interests in it that we had. we treated it like a hobby, as if our RC's were just smaller scale versions of the real thing. we spent a lot of time with a taken apart RC, modifying, personalizing and tuning in an attempt to be different and better then the next person.

Amen! Some of us are still out here though. Been doing this for 20 years, and am into it more now than ever. In fact, as my career has grown, I can now afford things I never could years ago.

I'm a bit different - I was into the hobby quite a while, doing my own thing, readings mags, and going to local tracks. and then I discovered forums...little late to the party online.

Sorcerer001
08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I used to be very active on the forums - here and over on HPI's site, mostly. A mod deleted my original account after he and I had a disagreement, so I'm not sure of my exact join date - though I know it was in the very beginning. This place used to be a very integral part of my RC experience, but like most forums, all the griping, arguing, and newb hatred sucked some of the fun out of it.
I've now been in the hobby for 30 years, and can say with absolute certainty that it'll be a part of my life for the next 30. I'll continue on with RCCA mag - I've been reading since the first, and will continue with the forum as long as it's live.

lil_general_lee
12-19-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm one of the originals, checked back in to see what was up..... and found tumble weeds.

Good to see Steve P is still here, now if I could only figure out how to buy his RC10T. I recognize a few names still getting around.

hdcchrome
12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Needed this site 20 years ago!!!!! Oh wait, there was no internet:p

atm92484_3
12-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Still here. I had another account that dated back to 2000 and I lost the password and locked myself out of it in 2001; ended up just creating this account since I wasn't able to get the password reset.

I just moved my stuff out of my mom's basement to my house. Time to see what still works.

Its bad when I realize that my entire collection is approaching "vintage" status and literally everything is listed under the "discontinued" category on the manufacturer's website.

rccardude04
12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Feel old yet? :D

-Eric

hdcchrome
12-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Still here. I had another account that dated back to 2000 and I lost the password and locked myself out of it in 2001; ended up just creating this account since I wasn't able to get the password reset.

I just moved my stuff out of my mom's basement to my house. Time to see what still works.

Its bad when I realize that my entire collection is approaching "vintage" status and literally everything is listed under the "discontinued" category on the manufacturer's website.

Hey, let me know what you find in basement. I may have parts you need. I have collected RC since 1978 so I may have it. Lemme know!

atm92484_3
12-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks hdcchrome. Fortunately everything was put away in one piece except for the HPI Super F1. It had an unfortunately incident with a mailbox prior to my retirement from the hobby.

broncobill
12-23-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't know if i am considered an old timer or not.
I still show up once in a while just to see what's going on.
I have not run any of my rc's in a couple of years. Priorities change.
I'm 48, work a ton of hours and my daughter is into sports. This years she played on about 8-9 different teams. Her sport is fast pitch softball. She is on a travel fast pitch team and that goes year round.
So basically I don't have the time to put into my hobby any more.