PDA

View Full Version : I was mad

jerwhitmire
10-11-2001, 12:32 PM
I went into my local "hobby" shop today to get one of those 3 foot antenna tubes that they dont sale anymore and this guy came in. He had a Kyosho 4wd nitro. Not sure exactly what it was but anyway. He had lost a set screw that had somthing to do with the front wheel drive on it and the guy that was working looked at a rack of parts for about 20 seconds and said i dont think we will have that we dont even carry kyosho parts and walked off. What kind of service was that? There were only 3 customers in there and we were all in the same section. Not only that but the last 5 or 6 times Ive been in there I have got the same answer "we can order that for you".

I hope I didnt break any of the posting rules but I needed to get that off my chest.

TycoTeamDriver1
10-11-2001, 01:13 PM
that sucks

outsider
10-11-2001, 01:14 PM
The guy must not be too knowlegable. A set screw is a set screw. I've gotten losi pinions on my kyosho and AE spurs... most basic parts are interchangable. That's like asking for a motor to an RS4 and being told they don't carry parts for HPI.

jerwhitmire
10-11-2001, 01:18 PM
It was a pretty big set screw me and the other customer helped the guy look for one and then I told him to go to the hobby shop across town.

XXXER
10-11-2001, 05:30 PM
Sorry, but sometimes, we hobby shop employees forget something, like, who came in first, etc.
Though it may have been an inconvinience, would it hurt to ask him to order that in for you?

As for the 3 foot antenna tubes, check the Airplane section, for the Du-Bro stuff, and get a Push Rod tube.

Also, just because he took a look at the shelf for a second, does not mean he really did know he did not have one, but, for the main part, we generally know what he have/don't have.

atm92484_3
10-11-2001, 05:43 PM
Ya seriously, take it easy. My LHS doesn't stock that much stuff since they don't have the floor space but they are more than happy to order anything you want. I don't see why you guys make such a big deal out of having to have stuff ordered; thats what I've had to do ever since I started this whole RC thing.

PsychoCat
10-11-2001, 05:50 PM
My philosophy on bad customer service is to remember that I would be so much worse on the other side. I worked at a car rental location once, just washing cars. I wanted to go off on the customers all the time. I didn't have to deal with them directly and they still made me mad.

Whenever a clerk walks away from me I just assume they had a bad day, and remember that having them walk away is a lot better than having them scream at me because they couldn't take any more.

Of course, I only remember all this about an hour after I leave the store angry. :)

On a side note, a lot of hobby shops don't carry parts for 1/8 scale buggies. I lost one of those large (5mm) set screws on my buggy on only the third tank. I found that no hobby shop within an hour's drive carried them. The best place to find replacements for those set screws is a hardware store. Hardware stores usually carry set screws in a range of both english and metric sizes. It's pretty easy to find one that'll work for between 20 and 30 cents each. That price is about what you'd pay in a hobby shop.

TC3Racer
10-11-2001, 07:48 PM
I agree with XXXER we pretty much know what we have and dont have.... and by the way thats saying alot when we special order a part for someone. its not that easy just to say it and do it. theres alot that goes into that and its normally cheaper, easier, and faster than getting it off the internet or something. look at it in that perspective man.... we dont always have the exact part your looking for. thats why alot of us reccomend like when your debating between which truck or car to buy then you should judge it more on what your LHS stocks.

jerwhitmire
10-11-2001, 10:43 PM
I see what you are saying. I had a B3 I know its not a very popular kit but you would think they would at least carry some of the screws for it or at least the front shock tower. I have been shopping there since jan 97 and watched it go from a hobby store intop a craft store. That is what makes me mad. The guy that was there is hired help he doesnt do the ordering so I dont beleive he knows what is on the shelves that well. Its ok there is a privately owned shop about 10 minutes closer to my house than that other place. I'll just give them all my money.

Interceptor
10-12-2001, 03:58 PM
XXXer- agreed, it was the same way when I worked at the paintball shop. Me and the other main employee knew more about the shop than the owner did.