PDA

View Full Version : difference between a converter and a power supply? anyone?

TechViper
04-02-2002, 09:35 AM
got a question!
tech gurus:

whats the difference between a converter and a power supply?

i got a 12v converter/charger with 12 amperes. when i checked on the voltmeter it sends out around 17.50 volts with no load and when i connect my pitbull charger and charge a battery it goes down to around 16v. is this safe? or is it too high? pitbull manual sez never go beyong 15v. already tried charging though and it works fine. i'm just afraid that i mite fry out my charger in the long run.

what do u guys think? should i continue using the converter or better yet get a power supply.

steve ruff
04-02-2002, 10:23 AM
I WOULD BE CAREFUL, although one volt above its rated input voltage might not hurt it, just monitor the charger for a few charges and if it doesnt get to warm it'll be fine.

Are you talkin about a transformer when you say power converter? if so, thats what is in the cheap and heavy beginner chargers (the mega series by dynamite, tower hobbies chargers, etc.)

imo, i think you are better off with a power supply.

steve

TechViper
04-04-2002, 12:21 AM
thanks steve.

yeah its just like a transformer thing. though it doesnt give enough heat, but mite as well get me a power supply.

thanks again .

Speedtester
04-04-2002, 05:29 AM
TechViper, before you go out and spend money on a power suppply check and see if your convertor has a voltage adjustment knob. Most of them will have this adjustment and you could tweak it down to 12-15 volts. I highly feel that 17.5v is way to high for your charger and you risk frying it if you continue to use it.

Attached is a pic of my voltage adjust on my power convertor.