PDA

View Full Version : Local Track Too Successful?!?!?!?

newracer
04-22-2002, 01:13 PM
Anybody else had the problem of their track becomming too successful? My local track is just in the parking lot of my LHS. The problem is that last year we went from having an average of 35-40 racers per weekend to over 70. Well that caused some complaints from a few of the other strip mall tenants due to lack of parking. Which is bull anyways because when racing is not going on the lot in front of the ones complaining is full anyways and the lot where we set up our track is practically empty. So now we can't race there anymore and the shop is looking for another location in the area. Also it doesn't help that the property manager for the strip mall has a personal beef with the shop owner, but that's a long story.

HYDRAMATIC99
04-22-2002, 01:27 PM
I just hope they realize just how much bussiness we generated for them during race season. We should get all the wives, sisters, girlfriends to go in there and tell them the only reason they shop there is because of the races. And have them tell all their friends never to shop there again. Then they may realize that the racing is actually great for their bussiness

newracer
04-22-2002, 01:35 PM
a few of the tenants do realize that the racing is good, the haircut place told Jeff that their busiest days are when we race and the couldn't wait for it to start again. my biggest complaint is that property management wasn't even willing to try and work thing out. Justin went to them with plans onhow to handle the situation and try to make it better, getting racers to park out back and providing inside pit space, asking people to car pool, making sure that no one parks in the south lot and even the first row of the north lot. they wanted us to setup the track behind the store in the ally, or not race at all.

InspGadgt
04-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Have those tenants go to the management and tell them they want the racing back. I used to run a race at a mall and the tenants all loved it as they made record sales those days. For 2 years after we stopped racing because of lack of racers the mall management kept asking me to run more races out there.

ILv2Xlr8
04-22-2002, 06:16 PM
Go go Gadget!
Do exatly what IG stated, and start a petition of all the tennants at the strip mall to state that they want the RC racing back because of increased business.

However, I am skeptical in believing that all the tennants will agree with that since someone had to bring up the case and complaint to the strip mall owner.

Good luck!

newracer
04-22-2002, 06:38 PM
I have been telling them to get every tenants opinion, good or bad, at least then they'd know if they have anything to stand on, unfortunatly one of the biggest tenants, TJ Max, is the one complaining the most. I also said if it came down to it, threaten to leave when the shops lease is up (2 years), they are the 3rd or 4th biggest tenant in the mall. It's a big shop I assume they pay a good amount for space.

InspGadgt
04-22-2002, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately money talks. If it's a tenant as large as TJ Maxx I doubt you will get back in unless you can convince them that the section of parking lot you are using is not being used on those days. Or if you can come to an agreement to them as to an area of the parking lot you can use that they see as not interferring with their business.

newracer
04-22-2002, 07:10 PM
that's excatly the point but they won't see it. the lot is divided into section by medians with grass, the south section in front of TJ Max is almost always full, even when we are not racing, and the section to the north (where the track is set up) in front of the shop is empty, 10 cars max.

I even went by this Sunday, we where suposed to be having the opening race, same situation, south section totally full, north section had 12 cars.

the other point we tried to make it that TJ Max's employees park in the lot in front of their own store!! Because they dont want to park in back and walk around!! That alone is like 10-15 spots.

We'll see what happens, hopefully it will get resolved, it is really nice being able to race right in front of the store, break apart...just go buy another, don't have the right tires....go buy the right ones, etc. I guess I am just spoiled!:rolleyes:

HYDRAMATIC99
04-22-2002, 11:40 PM
The main manager of TJ Max thinks racing is a great idea. The thing is the store manager complains constantly to the landowner. And since they have it out for the track's owner, we dont get to race.

ILv2Xlr8
04-23-2002, 06:41 PM
As sexist as it sounds, you need some cute gal to do some negotiation for you.

Why do they have it in for the shop owner?

newracer
04-23-2002, 11:01 PM
When the owner bought the shop several years ago he wanted to move it to another location because it wasn't doing well and the store was very small. He asked the woman that managed the property several times to help him find a better location. She didn't try at all so after several months he took it upon himself to find a better location. When he did he broke the lease and moved the shop. Turns out that the manager forgot to have him sign the page that would make him pay penalties and such for braking the lease, she supposably got into a lot of trouble for it. So they stay at the new location for several years until the shop gets too big for that store. Then they move again to their current location. After about 2 years a new company takes over the management of the property and guess who is the manager......the same lady from the original location!

As far as the other tenants, I don't know.

InspGadgt
04-24-2002, 02:11 PM
Well...one thing you could try is to arrange a meeting with the store owner and manager at the store in an effort to "find a suitable location" on the day of the week you normally hold your races. Then just point out to them on that day that look how empty this lot is...surely it wouldn't inconvience the store for us to use it for races...

newracer
04-24-2002, 11:44 PM
I spoke with the LHS manager today, now the biggest problem is with the management company not TJ Max, the TJ Max manager is willing to try and work things out and see how it goes. It is also not totally decided yet. The store owner is still talking with the property managers about the situation. He has also spoke with all the other tenants, most either don't have an opinion or like, only a few see it as a problem.

Actually hydramatic99 has it backwards, it's the regional manager of TJ Max that doesn't want the racing, the store manager is ok with it. Also few people went into TJ max and complained, even told other customers to not shop there! The manager quickly setup a meeting with the LHS manager.

We are now thinking about forming a club that the store will sponsor for racing to make it easier to approach other properties for access.

We are going to race at the shops other location this weekend, it's about 40 minutes away but they share parking with Hobby Lobby which is closed on Sundays. The only downside is that shop is very small and doesn't carry nearly as much spare parts, etc. And of course it's 40 minutes away from my house instead of 5.:D