PDA

View Full Version : Removing anodizing....

jyrineE5
04-22-2002, 01:49 PM
I did a search and from the threads, someone said to use Easy-Off oven cleaner....and that's it. What is the actual procedure to get the anodizing off? I have the oven cleaner but from there on i'm clueless. anyt help would be appreciated.:)

sLiTcH
04-22-2002, 02:01 PM
whyd o you want to remove anodize i think it looks cool

ecatbox
04-22-2002, 02:48 PM
basically you lay the parts out on a surface you are not worried about saving (little piece of plywood works nice) and spray em down liberally with the easy off (yellow can - the blue is weak)..it will start eating the color off pretty quickly so it's best to sit there and keep an eye on it...roll em around with a stick and add more easy off as needed to remove the color evenly...different parts will take a different amount of time to "deanodize" dependent on color and type of anodizing, grade of aluminum etc. but you can see it happening so no big deal...you can also scrub on the stuff a bit with a toothbrush or scotchbrite pad to speed it up...

do it OUTSIDE and wear rubber gloves and keep a bucket of water handy...this is also good for dropping the parts into when the color is off...the stuff is highly acidic and TOXIC and will eat anodizing, aluminum, your skin, and almost anything else it touches if you aren't careful...

clean the parts asap and they should then ready to take a polish if you so desire...the dremel buffing wheels and polishing compound work great, make it look like chrome...

jyrineE5
04-22-2002, 02:57 PM
thanks bukkake!

tadium54
04-22-2002, 03:17 PM
acetone might work too

MaxxThrasher
04-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Acetone don't work. :(

bpmagee
04-22-2002, 08:50 PM
I use Draino drain cleaner. 1 Tablespoon to a pint of water. Use this as a bath for the part. The part can then be submersed.

The anodizing will leave a scum on the solution as it melts away, and you might have to rinse once during process. Use tongs (for hot dogs) to pick the parts out of bath and rinse well. The aluminum will now have a dark grey color. Scrub this with a stiff bristle brush under cold water. It should look like dull aluminum.

If you're looking for high gloss, use jewelers rouge on a buffing wheel to bring a shine like chrome. This will help if you are to re-anodizing your parts. I have used this method to remove gold from associated shocks and re-anodize to purple.

Perform the process in a well ventilated area as this gives off a strong gas. When finished, You can send the solution down the drain without problem.

ProjectTwin
04-22-2002, 10:44 PM
What I use. (http://www.projecttwin.com/strip1body.htm)

Jason

Precious Roy
01-16-2004, 11:26 AM
These are some good tips guys, I hate purple anodizing!

NathonNice
02-01-2004, 07:16 PM
ProjectTwin says you can"t stip titanium????? i

s there a way to strip green titanium- it doesn't go in my opinion....:confused:

kitty
02-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Great little how-to, Project Twin =)

Contrary to what ecatbox said, Easy Off is not acidic. It's highly alkaline (opposite of acidic) due to a high NaOH (sodium hydroxide) content. What happens is, it basically eats away the surface of aluminum, thus removing the anodising.

Titanium is a different story. It's been a while, so I can't remember if titanium can be anodised. Titanium usually is coloured using heat. If you were to take a piece of titanium and hit it with a butane torch at an angle, it would give it a sort of rainbow colouring. NathonNice, if you really don't like green titanium and want to have it done in a different colour (likely you can only go darker), contact a plater in your area or look on the web for an anodising association. They have forums where they discuss tips and tricks and there are homebrew pages out there too.

bpmagee, you don't want to polish aluminum if you plan to have it re-anodised. Most anodisers can strip it for you for little or no extra cost before re-colouring. Parts are dipped in a bath to basically etch the outer surface prior to dipping them in another bath that has pigment in it for the colouring process (followed by a process to stop the anodising process and sort of rinse parts). Some anodisers have a process for giving parts more shine, though it takes someone with the right equipment and experience to do so. It's called electropolishing.

Hope this was helpful.
kitty

DirtRacinFool
05-11-2004, 12:02 AM
I stumbled on a product that removes anodizing in less then 3 minutes. Its called Greased Lightning "Auto and Shop" Cleaner Degreaser. I bought a 40 ounce bottle of this at Walmart to clean my wifes RC10GT. If I had read the Red Label on it, I would have seen the "Do Not Use on Plain, Anodized, or Alloy Aluminum" comment on the bottle. But, like the dummy I am, I neglected to read that.
I had removed the Receiver and Servo's and took the chassis outside and soaked it down. I let it set for a couple minutes and gave it a blasting with my air compressor, when I did this, most of the blue anodizing was gone.
I stripped the GT down to a bare chassis and soaked it for 2 minutes in a plastic tub of the Greased Lightning. After 2 minutes, I rinsed it off under warm water, and now have a very nice looking natural aluminum chassis.
Don't leave it set to long in the Greased Lightning, and it'll strip the anodizing off clean, and won't damage the aluminum like Easy Off will.

josh222
05-11-2004, 12:03 PM
I had a thread a little back about how I removed the purple anodizing off my RS4 3 TYPE SS ( I agree with Precious Roy purple is kinda gay) The metal came out with a dark film on it and I took some steel whool and got a brushed look :) All I need is some good polish and it will look like chrome :D