PDA

View Full Version : Speed Hawgs?

dankirk
04-23-2002, 12:46 AM
I just bought a set of Pro-Line Speed Hawg IIs for my XXXT MFE to run it on asphalt. Does anyone have any experience with these tires? How well did they hook up? How long will they last? I couldn't find any reviews for these tires, I bought them because I like the look of the tread pattern.

Later, Dan :cool:

TimmyRC10T3
04-23-2002, 06:49 AM
I have a se of those tires for my T3. They seem to hook up pertty well in the street. When you leave the car high the backend will slide a little. When you lower the truck it will grip very well. Another that helps is to run stiffer springs and mount then as horizontal as you can. I not sure how long I have had mine but I am guessing 3 months. I really haven't noticed much wear. I would say you will defintaly get 50+ runs out of them. The tires do not work well on grass at all. I have tried them on dirt and the work ok but not as good as a Holeshot. I also liked the look of the tread pattern. I think it would be neat if I could try my truck on a touring car track just to see how it handles. Ok good luck and enjoy you new tires.

highflyin-gubbs
04-23-2002, 05:03 PM
I ran speed hawgs on a XXXNT. The biggest problem is getting them to turn good. No matter what I did, I could never get it to turn good at low speeds. High speed is no prob, just crank the wheel and it goes around. They will last quite a while, especially with your electric. My picco would ballon the tires coming out of corners but they didn't show too much wear after 3+ weekends.

pudder
04-23-2002, 09:21 PM
They don't look like they would hook up good, but that is just my first impression. Another good tire is the Road Hawg and Road Hawg II's. They work well on hard dirt too and hook up on any pavement.

Just for wear issues, I doubt they will wear quick, truck tires always seem to last long.

-mike

TimmyRC10T3
04-23-2002, 10:14 PM
Opps I have the Proline Road Hawgs II. I know what tires you are talking about though and they are better looking. Just not sure about the handling. Sorry Man I'm not perfect.

hpiguy
04-25-2002, 02:28 PM
The Speed Hawgs handle well on asphalt and other lightly textured road surfaces.

On really smooth concrete or any kind of off road conditions they will spin a lot.

You also have to change the camber to make sure they are completely or very close to flat on the pavement to get the best handling or steering. On R/C trucks the camber is usually set to only have the edges of the front tires on the ground and that is what makes turning with these types of street tires seem difficult.

As for Pudder's comment that they "look" to handle poorly, it's very rare that you hear a completely uneducated statement like that. How can you tell how a street tire will handle just by a catalog picture? In that was the case then we could all assume just by looking at Pudder's screen name that he has hair on his palms and is going blind? Comments like that with no facts and only an off the wall unresearched comment really drive me nutz.

pudder
04-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by hpiguy
As for Pudder's comment that they "look" to handle poorly, it's very rare that you hear a completely uneducated statement like that. How can you tell how a street tire will handle just by a catalog picture? In that was the case then we could all assume just by looking at Pudder's screen name that he has hair on his palms and is going blind? Comments like that with no facts and only an off the wall unresearched comment really drive me nutz.

Settle down there, dont get yourself into a wad. What I said was "They don't look like they would hook up good, but that is just my first impression."

Hence the "but that is just my first impression" part. Read before you start bitching at me for saying that. I did not mean they were bad, I said they dont LOOK.

Now I have heard they hooked up well from other people. You think that pisses you off when someone says something like I did? Well buddy, what you said pissed me off.

Have a good day and next time dont be such a jerk, you could have atleast had the decency to say that more politely.

-mike

hpiguy
04-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Thank you for confirming my original thoughts about you ......

Possible converstion at a store ........ "Yep, that tire LOOKS like it won't hook up good on pavement. I have no REAL reason why, just that they LOOK like it. Guess he should buy something else like the Road Hawgs, afterall if we want to be like Pudder we must rate tires based on how they LOOK and not perform. Just my opinion though."

Once again, please explain why it looks like it wouldn't hook up on pavement (I see reasons why such as personal experience, and the fact that they are soft compound, with treaded low profile rubber and explained how to use them) and I'll listen. Instead you make a stupid comment that has no basis in fact, and does nothing to help the conversation.

It was a dumb thing to say since you had no way to back up the thought. And you said it. Go figure.

Conman
04-26-2002, 07:35 PM
I like the way they look too. Yea, u have to runn just about ZERO camber to get them to handle well.

pudder
04-26-2002, 10:04 PM
Okay, I have reviewed this thread, and I made an ASSUMPTION. I ASSUMED from FIRST glance that they might not hook up great on all pavements. If you were me and posted that (now don't get into another fit about you wouldnt do that, ect) I would have not said anything, and taken it like I said it. Not from experience, but from a glance. I don't really have anything to support what I said because I made and ASSUMPTION. You didn't have to turn this good thread into a flamefest. I am sure that there are a few other posts around here everyday, and I doubt that most of the good people would freak out.

You atleast didn't have to say those things about me, and I didn't about you, well you were the one who started to complain about my post.

Sorry to all the other good members of this board who have to put up with our crap.

If you want to take this further, go complain to the mods.

-mike