PDA

View Full Version : AM Interference

KingWillie
05-28-2002, 09:18 PM
I am using the Futaba 2pcka AM pistol controller and have had three experiences with inteference from one source or another both at the track and near an airport. On one occaision we lost all control of the car within 50 feet and it did a head on into a cement parking bumper. Bad news! What is the problem with AM and why doesn't it effect FM systems? Thanks

tadium54
05-28-2002, 09:37 PM
crystals could be fried. or craked. at an airport there will be alot of different signals going all over the place. the batteries could be low too.

DaLoSiGuYWiTdAxXxNt
05-28-2002, 09:44 PM
usually on nitro cars da header and pipe may be touching each other and doin a vibrating thing dat interfereres

tadium54
05-28-2002, 09:46 PM
oh and the reciever wire could be cut too

Nutter
05-28-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by KingWillie
What is the problem with AM and why doesn't it effect FM systems?Simply put, it's because they're different types of radio signals. :p AM is amplitude modulation, which means the "height" of the radio wave is changing, which is very susceptable(sp) to interference. FM on the other hand is frequency modulation, which means the "gap" between the peaks of the radio wave is changing, which is not very susceptible to interference.

-Nutter

tadium54
05-28-2002, 10:18 PM
See? now the great Nutter has joined the conversation. i never even knew that either Nutter. Thanks

KingWillie
05-28-2002, 10:30 PM
So, FM is the preferred choice I see in retrospect. If only I had known 5 months ago. :eek: Although I haven't had any serious trouble at the track yet, not like the airport. What type of signals interfere with AM? Also if I switch to an FM controller do I need to change the servos or are they compliant with both AM and FM?

4W Drifter
05-28-2002, 10:39 PM
The servose will be fine. The only thing that changes is the transmitter and reciever.

InspGadgt
05-28-2002, 10:54 PM
Any electromagnetic radiation close enough to your frequency and strong enough can cause glitching reguardless of if it's AM or FM. It's just that FM is a cleaner signal and therefore less susecptible to interferrence. EMR (electromagnetic radiation) comes from many sources like radio signals, TV signals, CBs, cell phones, pagers, power wires, microwaves, blenders, ect. ect....Unless it's shielded, if there's electricity going through it, it's going to generate some EMR.