PDA

View Full Version : aluminium wheels

BAC5.2
05-31-2002, 11:16 PM
im new, so i gotta ask... when you spend bucks on alum. wheels, and you wear out the tires, do you cut the tires off or what? you obviously dont throw out the rims, so how do you get the tires off.

and what would the advantages be of alum. vs. plastic? besides looks.

i can understand that you want a trick set of rims to match your show body. (i really want some scale looking BMW rims and a nice blue BMW M3 or M5 body to match. rim color: gunmetal grey, but shiny like chrome)

so whats the deal, why dish out $150 + for rims? performance gains? or just style benifits? any problem running alum?

Mason Copeland
05-31-2002, 11:36 PM
Aluminum is more durable but much heavier and much more expensive. It is just a style thing for the guys who need to win the concours event.

tadium54
06-01-2002, 12:17 AM
they can be cheaper in the long run. if they are bead locks, they will come off witht he removal of about 8 screws., but mason got most of it in my opinion.

psm how's rock climbing?

Grizzbob
06-01-2002, 02:37 AM
Unless you're talking about rims for a monster truck, then I wouldn't bother with aluminum ones, at least not if you intend to use them. You may be able to remove glued on tires from them, but it'll be messy & then your shiny rims won't look so hot anymore(plus if you use them in everyday driving, you can dent them pretty easily on ruts, rocks, road irregularities, etc.). They're just not worth it for running, I'd only consider buying them for display purposes(& in that case, you don't really need to glue tires to them).....:cool:

moep
06-01-2002, 06:16 AM
performance-gains... :rolleyes:

have you read that rotating-mass article in the RCCA mag? (a box in the Dominator-preview)

racerdx6
06-01-2002, 05:16 PM
if i bought alum rims i would only get beadlock rims for my monster truck. if i were to get them for my on road car i would not glue the tires on and only use them pho sho with a highly detailed body.

TRI-TURBO
06-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by BAC5.2
im new, so i gotta ask... when you spend bucks on alum. wheels, and you wear out the tires, do you cut the tires off or what? you obviously dont throw out the rims, so how do you get the tires off.

Once your tires have been weared up, just stickthem in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes... the CA glue melts, and the tires comeoff easly!;)

InspGadgt
06-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Aluminium rims are mainly for show. They have this nasty habit of bending and staying bent when you hit things. Plastic has a better memory and returns to it's original place in collisions.

dreamer_1uk
06-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Hi.

Only get Aluminium for display purposes only as if you decide to race with them, then they will weight your buggy down hence end up going slower and making more of a work load for your electrics or nitro engine. If you just like the shiney looks of them, die your own white rims a chrome cooler or I even think HPI sell silver rims but I'm not %100 on that one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TRF Drive Hard
06-04-2002, 11:08 PM
I have a several sets of aluimnum rims... HG made some good ones, but Hardcore makes the trickest... in most cases you would use for showcase... if you use em... and they get dented, thats it... its no good but for showing off a wonderful accident... they hardcore rims are best for running or racing... they are somewhat lighter & stronger... they can be easily be removed if you have ca the tires to it... unlike HG, its horrible...:rolleyes:

HYDRAMATIC99
06-05-2002, 07:45 PM
The only reason I am running a set of aluminum dish wheels on my xray right now is because I got them for free. Otherwise, I would never spend money on aluminum wheels.

twism86
06-05-2002, 08:20 PM
I got the nice HG alum carerra rims. They look nice but didnt glue right so they werent worth it.
-twism