PDA

View Full Version : Left handed pistol radio?

cyb0rg
06-02-2002, 12:33 AM
I'm just getting back into RC, and would like some ideas on radio equipment. I always liked pistol grip radios, but they were always ackward since I'm left handed.

I'd like to hear from any lefties out there and what systems you use. Thanks! :)

StevePond
06-02-2002, 01:53 AM
I'm left-handed, but I just learned to drive with the conventional radio. There are radios that you can switch the wheel around to the opposite side, but they're usually the expensive radios, not the cheap ones.

Mason Copeland
06-02-2002, 02:18 AM
I agree. Only a few radio I know of offer left-handed usage, and those are all very high-end expensive radios menat for factory drivers and people with like 10 cars. Just try to learn to do it right handed.

JimmyMac
06-02-2002, 04:18 AM
I'm not a lefty but the Airtronics M8 can be switched backwards. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. It's a great radio but somewhat on the expensive side.

cyb0rg
06-02-2002, 08:59 AM
I was afraid of that. I've used pistol grip controllers before, pulling the trigger with my right thumb and steering with my left hand.

While I'm looking to spend a few dollars on a nice radio setup, I don't want to spend an extreme amount just to get the left-handed feature. Thanks for the help guys.

By the way: You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a left-handed can opener, would you? LOL! :D

Possumbot
06-02-2002, 09:42 AM
You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a left-handed can opener, would you? LOL!

how far r u from springfield?

Nutter
06-02-2002, 09:52 AM
I'm also a lefty (w00! Steve is too!! :D :p), and like Steve I just learned on a normal pistol grip radio, like I learned on a normal right-handed mouse on the computer. Actually, the very first time I picked up a pistol grip radio, I found it very intuitive to drive like that - I didn't even notice that it was "right handed". Just hold the radio normally, you will get used to it very quickly.

-Nutter

cyb0rg
06-02-2002, 10:30 AM
Possumbot: I live about an hour north of Springfield.

TSR6
06-02-2002, 12:29 PM
The Lynx 3D can be converted for left handed useage too.

-Troy

TimmyRC10T3
06-02-2002, 05:25 PM
I am left-handed and use a regular radio fine. I think if you start using them at the beggining you won't really notice. I don't thinl I could drive with a left-handed radio if I tried.

tadium54
06-02-2002, 06:03 PM
i think the 3ps and cx2p can too

plinko
06-03-2002, 08:50 AM
futaba 3pjs can also be used left-handed.

ZoomZoom
06-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Get this...I'm actually right-handed but I RC left-handed. Right-handed just didn't feel right (no pun intended) to me. I had far better control left-handed. The method I used was holding the pistol in my right hand and triggering with my finger and draping my left hand over the controller to steer the wheel which was pointing outwards. Then I decided to get a lefty radio and looked around and found that the left-hand convertable radios were all the high end ones. Not good for my budget. So I ended up getting an Airtronics Caliber 3PS off of ebaY for like $120. It was in great condition too and the guy included a bunch of extras. I think you can still get the Caliber 3PS new but it will still cost ya around $200. One thing I really like about the Caliber 3PS is that when you convert it to lefty, the LCD display is no longer covered up by your steering hand. BTW, its a 3-model computer radio with just about all the features of the current line of 'high-end' computer radios.

Here's a list of Tx's that I found are left-hand convertable - Airtonics M8, Airtonics CX2P, Airtronics CS2P, Hitec Lynx 3D's, Futaba 3PJS, Futaba 3PDFS.

I disagree with what others say about just get used to right-handed driving. Use the way that feels most comfortable for you. I tried right-handed and was far more comfortable left-handed. The Airtronics CX2P and CS2P are good FM radios. If you want a computer radio then take your pick on of the 'high-end' models. Or you can take you chances on ebaY.

Good luck.

cyb0rg
06-03-2002, 12:15 PM
ZoomZoom: I know how you feel. I'm a lefty, but I do a lot of things right-handed. For example: In baseball, I throw left-handed but bat right-handed.

My first controller was a stick type, so I got used to it. When a friend let me drive his RC, he had a pistol type controller, and I tried driving it right-handed like he was. Everything seemed backwards, and when I turned the wheel I sent the car crashing into a pole.

I use a pistol by holding the contoller in my right hand and squeezing the trigger with my thumb. I can then steer with my left hand. This is the most comfortable way for me to do it.

I really don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a high end radio system. The Airtronics MX-3 is topping my list right now which runs about $120. That's about the most I'm willing to spend.

ZoomZoom
06-03-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the MX3 is non lefty. Check out the Airtronics CS2P from America's Hobby Center (http://www.ahc1931.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ahc1931&Category_Code=SurfaceRadio) and the Airtronics CX2P from Ultimate Hobbies (http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/) ($110 and $150 resp.).

Nitro Newbie
06-03-2002, 10:01 PM
<~~~~~LEFTY woo!

a few lefty facts

polar bears are left handed (all of em)

Left-handed people are statistically more likely to be geniuses, and to be insane. Left-handedness is more common among writers and some kinds of artists. But lefties tend to be more accident-prone and on average don't live as long.

More than 2,500 left handed people are killed every year from using right handed products.

ZoomZoom
06-04-2002, 09:01 AM
Hey Nitro Newbie, hopefully not by using a right-handed Tx. :D