PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into RC

cyb0rg
06-02-2002, 08:42 PM
I've been out of the RC scene for a few years (got married, kids, etc.) and I'm wanting to take up the hobby again. The biggest change I've noticed is the large popularity of nitro racing. I'm lucky to be within a 2 hr drive of a great track, www.tri-statercautoracers.com (http://www.tri-statercautoracers.com/).

I've always ran electric cars, and honestly, nitro seems a bit complicated and expensive to me. But I also admit that nitro racing looks very exciting. My largest consideration for wanting to go nitro is having this track to race at...it really is sweet! I want to race, not just toy around up and down my street and in parking lots.

I want to hear from you nitro guys. Is it really worth taking the financial plunge? Also, what touring cars are good? I'm mostly leaning to the HPI RS4, but also like Associated's T3.

Thanks! :D

Nutter
06-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Welcome back! Nitro's come down a lot in price recently, so it's not actually all that more expensive than electric (at 1/10 scale atleast). I do highly recommend you go for off-road, not on-road though.. a lot more fun! ;) :p

-Nutter

Bigman
06-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Thats one hellova track!! Do they race 1/8 there?

cyb0rg
06-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Bigman
Thats one hellova track!! Do they race 1/8 there?

I'm not sure if they do or not, I haven't actually been there yet. I plan on visiting next weekend.

4drhotrodr
06-03-2002, 05:23 PM
the hpi rs4 is a great car. if youre looking for something ready to run out of the box the rtr 3 is also a good way to go. thats what i have and im happy with it. although if youre going to race it i would suggest a few hop ups. but if you want to build i say get the rs4 3 type ss. since youre leaning toward hpi.

InspGadgt
06-03-2002, 05:30 PM
If your going to race look at the Nitro TC3, Serpent Impulse, TG10R, Yokomo (whichever the current one is). These are more of a race oriented car and will need few hopups if any. The HPI is a great car too but once you've hopped it up to the standards of the above cars you will have spent more money.

dan7532
06-03-2002, 06:52 PM
I would talk to the guys at the track; see what they are running, what they like, and what works.

OldskoolGT
06-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Cyb0rg,

Its definitely worth it to take the plunge into nitro. Nitro really doesn't cost more than electric since you don't need all of those expensive battery packs. I honestly think that there is less matainance with nitro engines compared to electric motors.

The RS4 is really not competitive with the competition oriented touring cars no matter how much you hop it up. If you want to race, start off with a race car and you will save money and frustration in the long run. The Associated Nitro TC3 would be a great place to start.

cyb0rg
06-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys. After doing some more research, I'm probably going to go with Serpent's Impulse. I seems like a lot more car for the money than the TC3. I haven't taken a look at Yokomo yet either.

From what I've been reading the RS4 Nitro isn't really a race ready car. Even after hopping it up, it still only compares to a substandard racer. It seems to be a better idea to spend a few more dollars up front and start with a better platform.

cyb0rg
06-03-2002, 07:48 PM
The Yokomo GT-4 has very similar features to the Serpent Impulse, it even has a 2 speed tranny. Just from a quick look, the only major difference is price. Even there, the GT-4 is only $30 more.

One of the deciding factors is going to be support and parts availability. If I break something, I don't want to have to wait a month to get parts. And being new to nitro, it's nice to have some online support, like this forum.

papanitro
06-03-2002, 08:15 PM
I feel I should warn you, you will need a ROAR membership to race there. The track is located in a public park so I'm pretty sure it's a city ordinance and not just club rules.

cyb0rg
06-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Papanitro:

If I have to buy a ROAR membership to race there, I will. That track looks awesome. :D