PDA

View Full Version : question of servo ???

Tweaked
06-04-2002, 04:34 AM
Ok, right before I quit racing the last time my steering servo went bad at the track and I was forced to purchase a Futaba S9403 (it was the only one the shop had). I remember not being impressed with its ratings but not sure what to do with it.

Speed: 0.16 / 60 degs
Torque: 44 oz-in.
Weight: 1.76 oz.

I am happy with the speed, but what do you think about the torque? Should I use the servo or should I invest in another one before I start racing again? As far as application goes I will either have it in my B2 (until I either upgrade it to a B3 or buy one out right) or I will run it in my TC3.

If it is the consensus of getting a more powerful servo, what are your suggestions?

Thanks,
Tweaked

Crazy Canuck
06-04-2002, 08:06 AM
It depends. Are you a good driver? If you arent, then you will likely tear up the plastic gears pretty fast.

Start with it in the TC3, it would probably last longer there. If you have the $$, though, definitely go for a servo with Metal Gears.

Tweaked
06-04-2002, 08:31 AM
I just realized that servo is virtually identical to a Futaba S3003 (which I understand the be the replacement for the S148) and I have never destroyed a standard servo. Hmmm... I think I'll keep this one and then buy another later on...

Thanks,
Tweaked.

Nutter
06-04-2002, 10:52 AM
The speed isn't tooooooooo bad... I prefer 0.08-0.09 sec transit times for steering though when racing, but that's probably a bit of overkill. :p That torque's horrible though, it's worse than most standard servo's that I've had (they're usually around 49oz/in). Maybe have a look into Hitec's line of servo's, they're pretty cheap for their specs.

-Nutter

Tweaked
06-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Cool! Thanks Nutter I will.

--Tweaked

Tweaked
06-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the minimum torque I should look for in an touring car, offroad car, offroad truck and finally 4wd offroad servo? As I am sure they all have different requirements.

Also, Nutter whats your take on the metal gear issue? A must have or a waste? Not that I am disrespecting you Crazy C. But I have never heard a preference on this issue....

Thanks.

Distro
06-04-2002, 01:06 PM
for your tc3 anything over 70oz in is overkill if your running 1/8th scale off road i'd have to say you'd need a good servo around 100oz in of toque.

Nutter
06-05-2002, 10:51 AM
My take on the metal gear issue is: must have for racing. There's nothing worse than being in a main (or even a qualifier), and loosing steering because of stripped servo gears.. and it's quite common in off-road racing because of the abuse the servo's see. I've probably got atleast 5 or 6 servos with plastic gears, all stipped. These days I just throw any plastic gear servos I get into a box, the only thing they're good for are throttle/brake servos.

For an off-road 1/10 buggy I'd look for about 70-90oz/in, for an off-road stadium truck I'd look for about 80-100oz/in (I run 130oz/in in both my XXXT and XXX-NT, but like I said earlier, that's overkill), and for an off-road 1/8 buggy or a monster truck I'd go for atleast 100-120oz/in.

-Nutter

Tweaked
06-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Great thanks!

Madmann135
06-06-2002, 12:17 AM
I plan to get a Hitec metal gear torq servo. For my 1/8 scale buggy and replacing the stock stearing servo for the throttle servo.

and after hearing this I will try to do this befor my Next run.