PDA

View Full Version : motors

Prinler
06-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Explain what im looking for in an electric motor. what specs i want and why i want them if i can. Reading about 15x2 17x2 19x2 ect and something about TURNS ? What is best out there?

Nutter
06-09-2002, 10:33 AM
Ok, when you see a motor talked about it's usually in the form of YxZ, such as 12x2. Y (12 in this example) is the number of turns of the motor, which means how many times the wire is wound onto each stack of the armature. Z (2 in this example) is the number of separate wires that are being wound around the stacks together.
The lower the turns of a motor, the faster it will go, but the more power it will draw, which means more load on the ESC, wires, connectors, batteries, etc, and the less runtime you'll get.
The number of winds alter the power band of the motor. A double will accelerate faster, while a tripple will have a smoother power band and has a bit more torque. You may want to have a look at this thread for more information: http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79241

If you're just bashing, you probably don't want to go less than a 15 or 16 turn motor, as lower winds will mean that you'll have to buy a more expensive ESC, higher capacity batteries, etc.

-Nutter