PDA

View Full Version : Radio Crystal Life span

Zod
06-10-2002, 03:29 PM
HI, i want to know what his the average life span of a
radio an receiver crystal ????? I read something in the early beginning of joining RC that you had to change them every 5 years ? is this true ?

i have an old FUTABA 2PD AM 75 Mhz with almost 10 years old
CRYSTAL , I think i am seeing some glitch from time to time . (My RC car turns rapidly without me turning :confused: :confused:

Grizzbob
06-10-2002, 06:52 PM
Difficult to say, but I have one or two pairs of crystals that are probably over 6 years old & they still work fine....:)

InspGadgt
06-10-2002, 07:49 PM
It's more likely that your radio needs re-tuning being that old.

Gutter Ball
06-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Hard to say really...the ones in my old Futaba had to have been at least 7 years old and they worked fine. The ones in my friend's XR2 (the receiver crystal to be exact) broke after 4 months.

papanitro
06-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Don't forget that a ten year old AM radio is not exactly high tech, even if is a futaba.

Bigman
06-10-2002, 09:51 PM
They work until they dont.:rolleyes:

rccardude85
06-10-2002, 11:16 PM
I have a Futaba Magnum Junior that is about ten - twelve years old and the crystals still work fine. I get an occasional glitch, but then again I didn't solder the capacitors to the motor...

Zod
06-11-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks your info is truly precious

Madmann135
06-13-2002, 12:36 AM
lets just say this.

The cryistals will last as long as you don't drop your radio, or cause the cristal to impact on some thing...hard enough.

rchotrod
06-13-2002, 07:33 PM
It is amazing that the crystals last as long as they do the way we just servo tape our receivers to the chassis and then go out and find the first curb or track barrier to hit.

The airplane guys have their receivers totaly wrapped in foam padding and they just float around in the sky. And if they did crash, well, they would have more to fix than just the receiver crystal.

I usually replace my crystals when I start to have glitching problems that can't seem to be fixed.

rccardude85
06-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Well, you have to realize that the airplane guys are moving in 3 dimensions, and that if they are doing aerobatics or anything, the reciever need to be padded on all sides. Also, if they lose the connection with their receiver, it would be a lot more costly than with an R/C car.

Madmann135
06-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by rccardude85
Well, you have to realize that the airplane guys are moving in 3 dimensions, and that if they are doing aerobatics or anything, the reciever need to be padded on all sides. Also, if they lose the connection with their receiver, it would be a lot more costly than with an R/C car.

Yea airplanes are literally riding on air so the stuff takes less, or more damage. Depending on the polit and the airplane.

RC cars their cristals need pading on all sides also because of rool-overs. The Off road vehicles take the most damage because everyone JUMPS theirs. Weather it bee off a ramp or off of a small dirt hill.

jdm3849
06-14-2002, 11:49 PM
I've never had a crystal go bad on me yet,and if one did i would be too dumb to know what was wrong.:D