PDA

View Full Version : Brand Specific Crystals?

banditwing
09-03-2002, 11:33 AM
I busted a reciever crystal, to buy a replacment do I need to buy one of the same brand as the reciever (Futaba, R122JE AM 88)?

Or Can I buy a diffrent brand and it would work the same? Such as Airtronics, or JR, or Ko, etc...

Thanks

stamp2tc3
09-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Most radios use different crystals. I don't recommend trying out what crysals work in what radios. It will cost a lot. If that reciever is a plain AM 75Mhz crystal it is a cheap replacement.
Peace Out

banditwing
09-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Really, so your saying something like this (http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/description.asp?prod=JRPXAR88&pc=JRPXAR88) would not work? It looks the same, only with a cover on it.

Thanks for the reply

Moo-Shoe
09-03-2002, 08:19 PM
You are on 75mhz since you said you're on channel 88. 75mhz crystals have a shift (negative or positive) depending on the brand. Unfortunately, I don't remember which brands use which shift. If you put a negative shift crystal into something that needs positive shift, you will have major issues.

Stick with the radio/receiver brand that you have to make sure you get glitch free operation. There are companies (Integy for one) that sell aftermarket crystals that will work in other companies electronics. Look into that if you're worried about cost.