PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya TL01 Questions...

arceeguy
09-04-2002, 09:31 AM
I plan on racing a TL01 in stock class at my local track, I just got a used TC3, but I want to see how well an $80 car will do against the "big boys". Right now, the car is bone stock except for a P2K motor and 21T pinion. Well, here are my questions:

1: What (cheap) oil filled shocks would fit the TL01.

2: What gearing would be good (with a stock motor). (The longest straight is about 60 ft.)

3: Is there an adjustable motor mount available? My TL01 is noisy compared to the others. Do I have to use Tamiya pinions? (I think I have a robinson 21T 48P on it now)

4: In your opinion, what are the cheapest, best upgrades to do on this chassis. Remember, I want to keep costs as low as possible, keeping that budget racer theme!

Thanks for your answers and any other suggestions you may have!

Lord_bunker
09-06-2002, 12:04 AM
i don't mess with the sedans so can't help you much there. i do the off road cousin, the tl01b.

i can tell you there is an adjustable mount. it'll only go from 6-16 tooth though. but with the speed tuned gears you should have a decent range of choices. i haven't tried it yet, i keep meaning to get one but never get around to it. thunder tech makes it.

http://www.thundertechracing.com/catalog.htm

look fo rthe wild dagger, i think it's under the listing of parts for it.

i've got both a robinson 21 tooth and a kyosho 19 tooth high torque pinion i use, haven't had any problems till for over a year until the heat of the summer.

arceeguy
09-07-2002, 12:26 PM
Lord_bunker,

Thanks for your response, I will be ordering the adjustable mount for the TL-01. Hopefully it will run a little quieter with the gear mesh fine tuned a little.

I just purchased the following upgrades:
Ball Bearings
Adjustable Links
Composite prop shaft
Traxxas 4-tec shocks

Hopefully, the Traxxas shocks will fit. I also ordered the Traxxas shoulder washers to mount them, because the Tamiya pieces are a little thinner.

Lord_bunker
09-08-2002, 03:05 AM
let me know how that mount works out, i really need to get one, so i can lower my gear ratio to off set the bigger tires next time i try a low turn motor.

arceeguy
09-11-2002, 05:25 PM
I just ordered the mount from Thunder Tech.
Real nice folks! I should have it next week sometime. I'll be sure to let you know the range of pinions that can be used. The fella there said that I should be able to use the stock range of pinions (19-23), and it will allow for smaller and larger than stock. (although he did not know exactly how much smaller or larger I could go.)

Lord_bunker
09-11-2002, 11:51 PM
i get paid tomarrow, so i'll have to give them a call, maybe then i could run a good low turn motor.

had a 12turn for a while but didn't have enough torque to take advantage of it.

I've got about a 70ft straight.

i'd get the manta ray ball diffs, and the carbon gear shafts, i've also heard the wide suspension set is really worth it. i looked into it once when i was thinking of building one out of spare parts once.