PDA

View Full Version : dumb newbie question: What is a "speed controller"?

Gary777
09-13-2002, 08:15 AM
I bought an MRC MT-10m over Ebay, I haven't gotten it yet.

Someone on another forum said I needed to upgrade the speed controller. What is that, and why does it need upgrading?

Nutter
09-13-2002, 08:59 AM
As the name implies, the speed controller is the device that controls the speed of the motor depending on how much throttle you give it.
From the sound of it, the MRC probably comes with a mechanical speed controller - these are very inefficient, poor quality, and hightly prone to braking. To tell if the MRC has a mechanical speed controller, when you hit the throttle, look for something moving across a plate with contacts on it, and a big ceramic resistor nearby.
Upgrading the speed controller would mean buying an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller), which are much more efficient and reliable, so your battery pack will last longer, the truck will be easier to control, and more reliable. Novak, LRP, GM, Keyence, and Duratrax all make good entry-level ESC's that are reasonably priced.

-Nutter

SRM4HRVK29
09-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Go with LRP!!! I have a novak and have had a lot of problems with it. I would suggest getting reverse in the ESC too. It sucks when it costs you the race:(

Nutter
09-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by SRM4HRVK29
I would suggest getting reverse in the ESC too. It sucks when it costs you the race:(uhh.. using reverse will cost you the race.. :p Better to come last because you hit something than to not be placed at all because you've been disqualified.

-Nutter

Luckyman4
09-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Don't forget you have two "speed controllers" ... the secondary one mounted on the car, and the Primary is most often your left index finger (if you're right-handed)! ;)