PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you mount a camera on a buggy... Buggy Cam!

pudder
09-13-2002, 11:18 AM
I had an old bulkhead sitting on my desk with a screw stuck in it so it was useless on my buggy, until now. I did some customizing with a bench grinder, made an aluminum piece, blah blah blah and came out with this!:

BTW: the camera is held on with a ziptie. :)

http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC01602.JPG
SHot in mirror.

http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC01603.JPG
Second shot in the mirror.

http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC01607.JPG
A shot of the buggy w/mount

http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC01611.JPG
Showing my hack looking mount.

http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC01615.JPG
A view from the buggy cam

And I also have a video of course :) It is really cool because you can see the suspension action and such as if you were in the buggy yourself. :)

Here is the link to download the video: http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/MOV01616.MPG

Note to modem users: video is approx 17.7 mb.

CarterTG
09-13-2002, 12:26 PM
That KICKS BUTT, Puddler!

Now all you have to do is remount the camera in front of the rear shock tower to lower the CG and take it on the track with some opponents! THAT view would be spectacular!

A friend just ordered the wireless color camera from Plantraco (http://www.plantraco.com) and plans to install it into an EMaxx or XXX-S. We'll see how that turns out.

rocknbil
09-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Pudder, You have entirely too much time on your hands. :D

Just kidding, that is a very kewl idea although I would be in fear for the camera - there is NO WAY you would get my Olympus 3040 on an RC!

MOVIE REVIEW
============================
"One thumb up, director needs to put more budget into securing a racing location . . . "
Excerpt from the movie:
NO NOT THE GRASS STAY OFF THE GRASS . . . LOL . . . hey this gravel is hell on my dogbones . . . . GO UNDER THE TRUCK GO UNDER THE TRUCK . . . oh well . . .WATCH OUT FOR THE TIRE ON THAT PONTIAC . . .oh crap . . good thing I have REVERSE . . . LOL . . .

Also this would be better for everyone if it were on a server tuned for video distribution, even on my BB conn. it took forever to DL.

I'd like to get my hands on one of the miniatures they put on the dragonfly, it's small and lightweight enough that you could pad it really well and it wouldn't get damaged.

pudder
09-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Yes, my camera was my only fear. It is very stable for the amount that the camera and mount raise the CG, but I just take it easy. If I had more money I'd love to mount a small camera on there and do a race. :)

XXX/TC3 Racer
09-13-2002, 04:11 PM
I thought it was a crazy day at school, due to the 3 accidents we had. Then, I got home, and I saw this. After downloading it (5 mins.) I watched it. WOW!!!!! I LOVE you for this. Just imagine if the world of RC ran cameras on all their cars, and we got to watch, like real racing. Geez. Keep them coming. This video wants to make me put my brand new FT TC3 on the shelf, and finish putting, and buying electronics for my XXX Buggy, which has been shelved for a year and 2 months...darn you! Now, I don't know what to do. Any vids for a TC? Maybe that will change my mind... :)

pudder
09-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Nope, I only do offroad. However in the winter time I am sure I will have a vid of me driving around the carapet track at indoor. :)

Hopefully this weekend I will get one of my buggy going around the offroad track, not fastly or anything, but to show what the track is like. :)

Ihave some more vids at http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/movies.htm, none more of a car mounted cam though. :)

Glad you all like it!

Gutter Ball
09-13-2002, 06:43 PM
I just got a Handspring Prism with the digicam springboard...I can't make movies, but I can do time lapse. Hmmm........I think I'd be too chicken to mount it to my car though. Eh, we'll see.

pudder
09-14-2002, 10:50 AM
Ya, I only mount AE though. ;) Good and stable keep my 500 Canuck Buck camera up there!

Unobjectionable
09-14-2002, 01:13 PM
GET SOME REAL SHOES, HIPPIE!

cool video, they should make DEAD POOL II with in-car rc chase scenes and a special cameo by jim carrey

pudder
09-14-2002, 03:41 PM
The nice man who hosts my videos just notified me that just yesterday I got over 700 megabytes of bandwidth taken up from that one vid! I don't think he was too pleased, but yet never told me to take it off.

(who is the moron who downloaded it 100 times? Yes, one person did dowload this one video 100 times!)

Unobjectionable
09-14-2002, 04:17 PM
not me, i saved it

minime
09-14-2002, 04:26 PM
I would like to download it but it keeps saying access is forbidden to the file :(

Tony

cavfan2
09-14-2002, 09:15 PM
That was cool! I am glad I got it before everybody crashed the link. And it wasn't me that downloaded it 100 times either! I saved it also. But now I know that I am gonna try and rig a mount to one of my cars. I don't know if the video will turn out as good, but I think if I make it to the track tomarrow, and have a mount in place, I may just have some track video!. How cool would that be? Just if I had some place to host it...

pudder
09-14-2002, 09:18 PM
I am not accusing any of you for doing it but just saying.

rccardude85
09-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by minime
I would like to download it but it keeps saying access is forbidden to the file :(

Tony

yeah, I wanna see it! Maybe you should submit it to the radio control zone pudder, they have a lot more bandwidth!

rusty89
09-15-2002, 12:44 AM
people probly downloaded like 10 times.

it was good but the video seemed a little slow.

it just sisnt seem as I was in the car.

pudder
09-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Sorry about the video, it is not cut from being downloaded. I just got too much traffic.

Bolink1
09-15-2002, 07:32 PM
worked for me,took about an hour,im on a 56k though so im used to is :p but that is awesome! ive watched it like 5 times already :)

jeepinator
09-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Dude, that's an RC10 Graphite and stuff.

jeepinator
09-15-2002, 09:17 PM
It's warm enough in Canada to wear sandles? :D

minime
09-16-2002, 04:49 AM
aha, managed to download it, very very cool...

Tony

pudder
09-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Sure is. Only for about 3 or 4 months though. :rolleyes:

racer13
09-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Wow! yah that is a cool movie!! i was like oh cmon go off a jump! =], cool car though! hey, what kinda motor you have in that? seems like its pretty quick! and my remote cant even transmit that far =[!!

Originally posted by CarterTG
A friend just ordered the wireless color camera from Plantraco (http://www.plantraco.com) and plans to install it into an EMaxx or XXX-S. We'll see how that turns out.

So, you can only trasnmit it to the tv? i'd rather be able to have it download on a hard drive type on the camera, so then i can put it on my computer, kinda like pudders! but i want a smaller one lol

:D

cavfan2
09-16-2002, 11:34 PM
Well, I did get to the track, but I didn't have time to rig a camera mount to it, so no vid from me. But I found out even if I did get the camera on there, I woulda be out of a $500 camera, my driving sucked so bad!!!!

pudder
09-19-2002, 08:28 PM
I did good for not driving an rc for a month, didnt have time for the buggy cam though, i want to get a vid of the track before the season is over, it is getting cold up here!

AudiTT-Quattro
12-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Anyone want to host a AVI file for me?

I have a wireless webcam on my TC3. The quality is about the same. 5 megs though.

ViperStrike
12-20-2002, 02:11 PM
sure, I will

zip it and send it to thelastd@rcn.com

I'll host it for a few weeks.

pudder
12-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Be sure to post the link here. :)

*Miller*
12-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Woah man! That thing rocks :cool:

Great job :)

norml
12-20-2002, 04:50 PM
Awesome vid pudder. The quality is excellent too, a lot better than I expected. :)

pudder
12-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks. It is not great quality, but better than some stuff out there. I am happy with what I get since it's not a high end digital camera. :)

racer234
12-21-2002, 12:56 AM
awesome video! hey, i downloaded it and i was wonderin how i save it to my hard drive?! thanks

pudder
12-21-2002, 09:56 AM
To save to your hard drive... Right click on the movie link. a manue will pop up. Select "Save Target As" from the menu, and then you can save it to your drive.

Pro3/nmt105
12-21-2002, 10:13 PM
i couldnt get to it when i clicked the link it came to link it came to one of those can not be found screens.

Saboteur
12-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Cool vid pudder. I glad I came up here to my sister's house in CT because she has cable modem. D/ling these large vids are a breeze!:D BTW what motor and esc are you running on buggy?

Saboteur
12-25-2002, 09:23 AM
Also great vids on the webpage. Man that 15t motor in the truck is VERY fast. Now I feel like buying an elec truck. :) Or rather slap an esc and 17 or 15t motor in my stock tl01 and make it fly. Ive driven it offroad in stock form and the tl01 isnt a disappointment. It handles very well, ran over the spongy 3" grass with ease, and powerslides through the dirt and snow.
http://thercfinatic11203.tripod.com
Those pics are from last Xmas though. I couldnt bring my TL-01 to my sisters house though this time. We even got a little bit of snow too. :(

pudder
12-25-2002, 09:48 AM
For the Video I was running a DuraTrax Sprint ESC with XR3 radio, standard servo and a Integy Matrix Can with a mabuchi 27t armature. It is not a really fast motor, suprisingly I won a few races with it though. That motor has mounds of torque, so I am using it on my stampede in the meantime until I get a better motor. :)

Saboteur
12-25-2002, 03:27 PM
Cool dude.:cool:

pudder
12-25-2002, 04:19 PM
Oh man, you would have loved to see the buggy today. Brand new 3300 with a 15 turn, and SAND tires! Through the snow, holy **** it was sweet. Here's some pics of my Tekin 411 G2 after the run...

pudder
12-25-2002, 04:23 PM
http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC02928.JPG
http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC02929.JPG
http://midcanrc.mine.nu/pudder/DSC02930.JPG

Saboteur
12-25-2002, 04:55 PM
SWEETNESS. Hope you managed to film that one, LOL:D

pudder
12-25-2002, 05:02 PM
Nope, my batt was half dead already, I will maybe get a vid tomorrow. :)

Saboteur
12-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Great. Sadly, I wont be able to drive my TL-01 or my nitro sedan now since the snow has come once again. :(

nitrofun
12-26-2002, 02:44 PM
That is one cool ass buggy, what motor and ESC are in there, it looks pretty damn fast, anyways I watched the video and I think RC needs cameras. without a doubt, every RC car should have a small camera on it.

pudder
12-26-2002, 05:12 PM
I was running a mabuchi motor with a 2400 and duratrax Sprint ESC. :)

I got a video of me running the buggy today with a 1500 and 15 turn. I would have liked to use a 3300 but I didn't have time to charge it since I have to go to family dinner. :)

CK9887
12-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Im going to mount a little video camera on my emaxx tommorow and see how it comes out. It will be really choppy but thats ok considering the camera is a 40$ pencam. I will see if my website will host them and if so i will post the link. That will get my site a bunch of hits. lol.

CK9887
12-26-2002, 09:00 PM
I just watched pudders video. Thats awesome. The video im going to make wont be near that quality or length.
Cant wait to see some video of it on the track.

Peterbilt
12-27-2002, 09:56 AM
Sweet idea...I'll see if I can mount my digi/video camera on my T-Maxx (wouldn't that kick :D ss).

Great thing is that this itty bitty camera was $50 and only 4 inches long, and a lil over an inch high so it won't bog the front end down (or where ever I decide to put it).

Just gotta figure out how to old the shutter button down so it will shoot the video. Hmm....:D

pudder
12-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Hmm... on my camera I just press the button down, it records, press again, it stops. A good way to hold your button down would be to put a little ball of paper onto a piece of tape, then have it so the wad holds the button down.

Peterbilt
12-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Ya, I was thinking about putting a zip tie around it and pulling it tight just before I took off.

This camera can hold only 40 seconds of video, and I have to set the AVI (video) mode, press the shutter to confirm, tighten down the sip tie, and put the front of the body back down, and still have a good video length. I'm still workin on ways to mount it, so it might be a while...:)

CK9887
12-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Well, I got the batteries charged and everything mounted on the emaxx and started to shoot the video. When the batteries ran out in the emaxx i took the camera off the emaxx and it didnt record anything. The batterys must have died in the camera while it was shooting which would cause it to erase the video. So now i have to wait for my AAA's to recharge and the RC packs to charge.

pudder
12-27-2002, 04:20 PM
As you guys may have noticed, I didn't use a body for the video. I can't really either. The way my mount design is, I can't have a body on. Maybe for your video, you may want to keep the body off as a time saver?