PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to "Realistic" R/C Cars?

Albertt
09-18-2002, 09:26 AM
due to the fact that RC cars are so much faster if you were to compare them to the 1:1 cars. RC car designs with mimicked the real thing, just wen't up to handling the power. In order to allow then to be faster and more controllable, the cars had to be designed as such. Tamiya still attempts to make some scale realism, most of which is built into the body, but they do a good job when it comes to the rims and such.

-=ADA$=-
09-18-2002, 10:53 AM
I think it has to do with higher speeds that are achieved now, and new materials, that allow better performance with smaller weight, the old cars would be not very competitive with new ones

GCMustang
09-18-2002, 11:46 AM
Granted, real cars are not capable of the scale speeds our RC cars run. So we are forced to move tires out to preserve stability at the sacrifice of realism. Of all the racing classes, it's the Trucks that are the most unrealistic. They aren't even close enough to the stadium truck series trucks they are attempting to mimick.

but I have to be honest with you, I'd rather see them that unrealstic than to have to watch a race in which the tall, unrealistic trucks topples over on every turn. I remember watching races in the early 90's with mostly Blackfoots, King Cabs and Bruisers. You had to nearly come to a stop to keep from rolling over. Eventually, they allowed Midnight Pumpkin style tires that were a bit lower and made the class a lot more fun, but I do often wish I had one of the older scale realistic cars just for fun.

RCBuddha
09-18-2002, 12:46 PM
I think that one of the reasons R/C cars have evolved into what they are now, has mostly to do with people's appetite to "race". I mean, as people get more and more competitive, they seek out designs/chassises that help them to win.

Take Touring cars for example. Tamiya was the first to really set a standard for touring cars. As people began to race them, they began to notice that there was certain limitations that the chassis had. Thus, Yokomo, HPI and then all the other manufacturers began to produce their own, "race" kits. Now touring cars are the hottest thing, along with Monster trucks.

Also, take this into account: Manufacturing costs. While manufacturers are using stronger, lighter, more cost effective materials, producing all metal kits like the bruiser can raise costs very high. That's why the kit cost so much when it first came out, and when it was re-released. I'll see if I can find the link to a thread that was started on the possibility of a Bruiser 2.....

One last point....the surgence in RTR cars has also led to a change in the hobby. In all my years of being an enthusiast, I have never seen as many RTR cars on the market now, as I did back in '84. RTR's have their strong points, as they help many get into the hobby.

But, for ME personally, I think they take away from what the hobby is about. I understand that a lot of people and kids don't have the mechanical aptitude to build a kit, but kit instructions, the internet, and better parts have all made building kits much easier. Hey, I could only wish I had the support and information that the internet provides when i first started.

So what's this have to do with scale realism? Well, I'm not saying that RTR is bringing the demise of R/C. What I'm saying is that manufacturers are looking at ways to get their kits out into the market, as complete as possible. This is good AND bad for the hobby.

Its kinda funny. As every year goes by, I've noticed that racing R/C isn't as high as on my list of things to do as it once was. Nowadays, I find more pleasure in driving my stuff on the street, and in my backyard. Not to say that racing on a track isn't fun, I still enjoy taking my cars to the track. But for me, R/C has gone from being a hobby, to an obsession, to an addiction and now its back to being a hobby. I guess that's why guys like me like to collect, rather than race their R/C kits. What do you all think?

Buddha

RCBuddha
09-18-2002, 12:57 PM
Here's one of the threads on the possibility of a Bruiser 2:

http://pub21.ezboard.com/fmaxximumtraxxasfrm99.showMessage?topicID=10.topic

Buddha