Notices

Thread: precision in perfection "triton"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very nice, cant wait to see it in action! By the way the hardware didnt come polished like that, did it? If not whats your secret?

I used buffing compound and a dremel with a polishing wheel. I started out with a medium compound and then a fine and finished it off with an aluminum polish buffing by hand.

Hi jjlove, nice boat you've got. I can't wait to see her in action. BTW I got 'hook' after watching the video that you recommended, therefore I have to thank you for the intro to FE. I was wondering if you have any knowledge about PIP's SYNCHRON and BBY OVAL MASTER 26 hulls? Any input regarding motor type, prop size, hardware etc. for these 2 hulls will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

I am new to FE but if you contact chris at Fine Design he can answer any questions that you may have.
    click here for the Fine Design home page
    I cant wait for all the snow and ice to melt!!!

Just got a new speed controller today. I updated to a Hacker navy master 99 3p. This controller is water proof and I blew up the schultz 2 times already in other models. I did not want to be 50 feet out on the water and see smoke. I am almost done with the install of every thing inside the boat. As soon as I finish I will be starting on my buddys boat that he just picked up. He got a aeromarine laminates Titan that he will be running the same brushless setup as me.

What size Titain is it. There are some setup pics of my Titain here
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/picturesmain.htm

My 6 year old caught this great picture.
    Last edited by Pagemaster; 02-28-2003 at 07:27 AM.

7. Angry  
    forgot to add picture

Nice action pic. The only water my boat has seen is in the bathtub doing a leak test.

JJ, I wish that was a recent picture! That was last summer. I haven't seen the water since October! By the looks of things June may be optimistic for a thaw!

Inside pics

more inside

last inside

JJ see where the dull shrink-wrap on the controller touches the shiny black stuff, this is a place for water to get into. I have lightly sanded the area and applied silicon sealant, so there is no chance of water getting in. Its said that during vibration and expansion / contraction that this area could open just enough to let water in.

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com
    Last edited by Pagemaster; 03-02-2003 at 08:47 PM.

Just finished about a week of testing my PIP Triton here in sunny Calif! My setup is 18 GP 3300's with Astroflight 207D and a Plett 290/30/9turn torque can. I am setting this boat up for Q-Offshore. I decided to do all my testing without installing any additional drag causing components, turn fins and trim tabs, so I can try to eliminate any nasty habits with CG adjustments and strut angle. I started out with CG placed at 30% mark and the boat ran with the transom dragging in the water tooo much finally settled on the CG 1" behind the first step and wow! Runs aired out and very stable not even a hint of bouncing. I do not recommend trim tabs on this boat! Turn fins might still be added as you have to be very careful on high speed corners or the boat will spin out. So far with a Prather 235 my runs are 32.5mph with a run time of 7min 40sec. Naturally I am still trying to get my runtimes down and my top speed up.

Later,

David Alvarez

Do U have any pics?
    You are so lucky in calif, I thought that we were going to get a break in the winter because yesterday it was 50 but today we got 6" more snow.

Do not have a digital cam so no pics. Took of the torque ring and ran it with X646 and smoked the arm at the 4min mark @ 35.0mph, too many rpms without the torque ring so ordered another motor from Chris Fine yesterday should receive it sometime next week also ordered a Prather 245. Should be interesting.

Later,

David Alvarez

I just saw Chris and your motor is shipping today.

I got to hit the water last week and man is this boat fun. I still have some minor tuning to do but it should be ready for the race this weekend in New Jersey. I can't wait to race in the offshore class.

jjlove,

That must have been torture waiting to run your Triton. I finally got mine running again and with Prather 250 it is really cooking. I am now working on getting it to turn smoothly at high speed. Do you think you will ever try running yours on 18 cells, it is a huge difference in performance. I only wish they had a 24 cell Namba Offshore class because I think that is where this hull would really come alive!

Later,

David Alvarez

I am going to run 12 cells in the "P Offshore" and I might run 16 cells in the "Q Offshore" class.

I really love how well the boat turns left and right with the offshore drive that has the rudder in the middle.

I don't know if I would run 24 cells because it is really fast with only 12 cells with the right gearing. 24 cells might be scary fast.

I ran in my 1st namba race today and it was alot of fun. I placed 2nd behind Chris Fine in the 1st and 2nd race because I cut a turn marker in each race and lost a lap for it. In the last race my flex cable came loose in the 1st turn and that was all that she wrote. I ended up with placing 4th for the day, not bad for my first time racing a boat.

It was really windy out there and boats were flipping over left and right .One guy sank after his hatch blew off and when he flipped over, to the bottom he went.

I can't wait for the next race.....

jjlove,

Congrats on your first race! Wow you did great. Our first race was to be last weekend but we got rained out : ( Now I will have to wait for May. Finally tried out a 7 turn arm and loved it. Used an ABC 42/55 and got 6 min run times at 36 mph. I think I found a setup that I will keep.

later,

David Alvarez

Wow Nice lookin boat jjlove is That electric i just orderd a Super Hawaii do u no if that is good?

I have heard that the super hawaii is a very nice boat. Good luck with it.
    Yes mine is electric.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dixondave
    [B]jjlove,

"I am now working on getting it to turn smoothly at high speed. "

Have U had any luck with the high speed turn outs? Dan Fine and I both ran ours today in very smooth water and we both had a lot of problems with the spin out.
    Dan ran a previous race with out turn fins and after adding the turn fins today he seemed to spin out more.
    I am wondering if the turn fin is dragging in the water in the turn and causing it to spin.
    I am hoping that it is not just a bad hull design.