Notices

Thread: Lindberg PT Conversion

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks for the compliments. I don't really see it as being all that great yet, just 'in process' - but I try to do good work. I want to make it both solid & clean, those motors will move it quite well even with a little more weight in the radio box. It's not exactly scale, it doesn't have 3 props, but for what it is, the Lindy is pretty cool. You can really see the progress in the pictures after I make something & it just doesn't look right & I have to rip it out & do it over. Hopefully when people read this, they can avoid some mistakes I made as I went along.

I just went to a scale boat club meeting at a pond and a couple fellows there had the Lindberg PT's converted sorta like yours. I saw one run, and man was it a nice performer!

Thanks for the info on the props, my list is growing.
    Next question, what is the best way to put oilers on the stuffing tubes without denting or burring the inside wall? what do you think about making the engine room vent operational? What is the voltage of the Magnetic Mayhem motors? I have searched the web high and low for the specs, Tower Hobbies has some info but not any voltage info......Okay it was really 3 questions. I am sure I will have more. and I did give you a break over the weekend HA HA

THANKS
    Colton

Silver-solder the oilers on the tubes & THEN drill them out. Drill through from the oiler into the stuffing tube & then put your drill in the stuffing tube at the end to clear out the burrs & you'll have a pretty clean hole. 2nd, if you have an enclosed radio box or if you balloon the electrics, you can have a functional hatch. Personally, I'd rather water cool the motors. 3rd, I'm not sure about the voltage on the motors but they are made for RC cars so they work great on a 7.2v pack. I also know that they work fine up & over 12 volts too. I don't have much time right now to look, but here's Kyosho's link http://www.kyosho.com/accys/msmonster.html

p.s. on a side note, let me know if you want to water cool your motors, I have several extra cooling coils.

Thanks. I have given a thought to water cooling the motors, it doesn't look too tuff and I understand the machanics behind it. I checked out the web site for kyosho but they do not have the voltage specs. I was trying to figure out what type of batteries to run for a fast speed and about a 30 minute run time per charge. part of my plan was to get all the running gear and r/c stuff together before I assembled the model.
    Did you use the Lindberg cupling shaft between the propeller shaft and the motors?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP
    Colton

I'll keep looking for the Kyosho motor info. The Magnetic Mayhem used to be called the LeMans 360 I believe. Maybe that will help out on the info search. As for the shaft hookup, I use a nylon dogbone & cup. You can buy them in a set, for 2 motors you buy 2 sets. The cup goes on the motor shaft & on the prop shaft. Let me find a link....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE444&P=ML

Don't use the plastic u-joint style as they don't hold up. Trust me on this one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJD72&P=M

HOLY COW THANKS! looks like a science project. Did you say you used the original lindberg propeller shafts? I was looking at the Dumas bronze propellers and it looks like they need a drive pin. THANKS AGAIN it will take me a bit to read all this info.
    Last edited by csligar; 07-28-2004 at 12:12 AM.

It's not a drive pin, it's called a drive dog. The Octura part number is OC4D. Let me find a link.... Any local hobby shop should be able to get this for you & they are under $3 each.

http://www.finedesignrc.com/hardware.asp
    http://www.pirespreto.com/octura_cat...m#DRIVE%20DOGS

I'm at work (on break) so I can't get a good pic right now. It fits onto the prop shaft & attaches with a set screw so it won't spin. It has 2 short tabs that stick out - which stick into the rect. cutouts on the center of the prop to drive it. Go to the electrics section & ask what a 1/8 drive dog looks like & they will help you.

I looked that up after one of your earlier post but I was thinking it was part of the U joint assembly, glad you set me straight. I saw them on Mack's web site. I saw the Midwest PT 109 today at Hobby Town, not bad looking, I think they could have done a better job on the detail painting. Getting close to making the initial hardware order.
    THANKS FOR GOING THE EXTRA with the links and all.

Colton

Hey no prob. Just let me know if you need anything. Also, you can make your own cooling coils for the motors. Get some 5/32 x 36" aluminum tubing from your hobby shop & wrap them yourself. Wrap them around a 'D' battery & they will fit nice & tight on your motor. When wrapping, keep pressure on the area that is bending with your thumb & follow it around as you wrap. This will keep it from kinking. Wrap one clockwise & the other counter-clockwise & this way the ends will be mirrored & match up to your water hookups. You may have to gently uncoil the stack ever-so-slightly to get it to slip over your motor. It's also easier to do before you solder the diodes on.

Bug - you may have your water pick-up tubes too far forward. Here's a picture of PT 188 that I scratch built at 1/32 scale.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CG Bob
    Bug - you may have your water pick-up tubes too far forward. Here's a picture of PT 188 that I scratch built at 1/32 scale.
    Yeah, I noticed the original coils I had were pretty far forward - good eye. The later ones in the pictures are much larger & cover the whole can just short of touching the brushes. Of course I still haven't made much progress on this in quite some time, it has gotten put on the back burner for now. Just too many projects & too little time.

p.s. Your boat looks great. Scratch built boats can be quite impressive, as yours is. It even rides perfect without plowing through the water. Nice job.

16. Thumbs up  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugfanatic
    I will be converting another Lindberg PT boat to RC, I know I've seen a couple people ask how to do it, would anyone be interested in me posting my progress as I go? I wouldn't start on it until late winter/early spring since my garage isn't heated so don't expect any posts soon.
    Good Evening ...Great work on Your PT Boat...If I were to install two Graupner 500 Speed Motor's,What ESC would You recomend? Would I need two ESC?Thank You Marc

Sorry it took me so long to answer, I don't do much boat stuff in the winter. There are several speed controls out there that can handle 2 motors. There are others out there, but the Traxxas EVX which is made for the Villain is already prewired for 2 motors & 2 battery packs & is water cooled. It's pricey but well worth it.

Good Mornig ... Thank You for the answer, I have learned a lot from Your Pictures and all. I'm going to Retire in5 months and then I will be able to build more than I do now, What Size motors do You use in Your PT's? From what I see Yoiu have done a Wonderful Job!! Thank You for all the Answers...Marc

Its Me again....Were would I purchase this Traxxas EVX Speed controler? Thank You

[QUOTE=bugfanatic]Sorry it took me so long to answer, I don't do much boat stuff in the winter. There are several speed controls out there that can handle 2 motors. There are others out there, but the Traxxas EVX which is made for the Villain is already prewired for 2 motors & 2 battery packs & is water cooled. It's pricey but well worth it.[/QUOT

I went on Line and Found them at a Very reasonable Price....Thank You Marc

You're welcome. Since it comes already wired for 2 packs & 2 motors PLUS water cooled you can't beat it. Thanks for all the compliments!! I kind of learned as I went along. I had done one in the past when I was in college (20 years ago), & this time I'm taking my time & doing it right. No popsicle sticks for mounting servos!! If it looks wrong or doesn't fit right, I pull it out & do it again. As for the motors, the Magnetic Mayhems come in both forward & reverse wind so that you can run ounter-rotating props. They are a 550 size or some commonly call them an '05' motor. You may find them cheaper, but here's a link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...em&FVPROFIL=++

Good luck & keep us posted (wish I could retire soon). I should get going on my PT too so I can run it once it warms up. It' so hard - I just got an older VW so it takes all my spare time so far & my garage isn't heated. I'm actually a lot closer & should upload some pictures when I get a chance. This thread isn't dead, I'm just slow with the updates.

22. Lindberg Pt 109 Stock Gear 
    Can Any One Tell Me What Gear Comes With The Stock Kit? I Have One On Order.
    Is It The Set-up Like The Blue Devil Has,gears And All That Cam Junk?
    To Begin With I Just Need A Running Boat,than I Can Go Ape Later!
    Thanks Guys

The PT has a plastic bulkhead that you attach the Delrin gears to. The gears are noisy & run on plastic shafts so they're not very robust. By the way, you can add running lights to the Blue Devil real easy by using LED's. Remember, all the long words go on one side of the ship (starboard, green), the short ones on the other side (port, red). The Blue Devil tower even has enough room to fit a 9v battery up into it. One nicer thing about the PT is that you can turn while at speed & not roll over like the Blue Devil does.

Bugfanatic
    Thanks For The Info. I Had The Blue Devil 38 Years Ago!
    Is The Motor Included With The Pt 109 Kit Really Bad? The Reason I'm Asking Is This
    Will Be My Rescue Boat For My R/c Float Plane. I Intend To "hook" The
    Plane And Retrieve It If I Happen To Dump It In The Lake. I Always
    Wanted A Pt Boat Anyway So This Is The Perfect Excuse.i Will
    Rework It When I Get The $$$$$$$ And A Chance!

Yeah, the included motor is a small Mabuchi style motor. Good for a toy but not for harder RC use. Actually, the weakest link is the gear train that gets mounted onto a bulkhead. It seems the gears want to seize onto the shafts even if greased & the shafts have a flat keeper head on them that likes to come off when it's WAY out in the water. If you want to do this on the cheap ( = low $$$) & use it as a dependable retrieval boat, go to Radio Shack & get 2 matching motors & hook them directly to the prop shafts with some rubber vacuum line. Get two 6 volt motors (these should look VERY similar to what comes in the kit since they are still a Mabuchi motor, only slightly larger) & don't mount the gears onto the bulkhead - just use the bulkhead to hold the motors. Much nicer to run, much quieter, & FAR more dependable. You'll see what I mean once you have these parts & the boat kit in front of you.