Notices

Thread: Lindberg PT Conversion

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    I do not run mine out of the water because of the no-load vibration. I have broken one of the shaft supports doing that. As far as your vibration goes, make sure your motors are aligned/inline as close as possible with the shafts. also need to make sure your shafts/tubes are not bent and are lubed. If all these things are good then try filling your tubes with grease. Since grease is so much thicker it will absorb some of the vibration but it will also absorb more of the power due to the thicker consistancy. Hope this helps!

I have found a great little tip that works here - sorry I never posted it. Take the 2-piece plates that hold each prop stuffing tube at the hull & replace it with hot glue. It not only dampens a lot of the vibration but it can be sanded to make a nice transition where the tube exits the hull. Plus, you can still use the shaft supports that are near the props for a somewhat scale appearance. Really, I'm almost done with my bug & I will be posting pics & tips & such when I can get back on my PT boat. Sometimes one project moves another to the back burner. p.s. - I also found a great glue to hold my motor bulkhead plate to the hull. Marine Goop. It's like the old shoe-goo or more commonly GOOP but it's marine grade & stays flexible. Use it on the light side as it will make a melt mark on the outside of the hull since it attacks the plastic like model glue does. BUT - with that on my bulkhead & hot glue on the stuffing tubes my boat is QUIET when I run it up on the bench.

3. U-joijnts 
    I Broke the Gruppner U-Joints i ws using. I thought a $10.00 (a piece)U-joint would hold up. Besides 2 600s are too fast (only 1/6 th of the boat is in the water) i will use my EPA to cut the throttle back.
    I used the stock plastic motor mounting plate with no problems.

4. full speed run 
    High speed run
    Attached Images

5. pic 2 
    pic 2
    Attached Images

6. pic 3 
    hs 3
    Attached Images

Boat looks great! That first pic shows the front way up! Ithink those 600s kick butt. What is your run time and what battterys are you using? I'm getting about 3-4 minutes of real fast speeds then it progressivly slows down as the batterys wear down for a total run time of about 10 minutes

8. battery 
    Thanks! I have a 3300 Mah battery hump style pack from Cheapbatterypacks.com
    it is 14 ounces. I'm moving it up to the motor mount because the stern is below water level at full power. I got about 10 min.s before i blew the u-joints. I bet the battery would last 30 min.s if i play the throttle.

Looks great!! Nice pics! On my first PT conversion I used those U-joints only to have the same problem you did. I went to the Dumas ball & socket dogbone style setup & have never had a problem since.

10. cool 
    i'll look into it bug

11. pictures 
    My brother in law took the pics and wants full credit so here it is.
    TOM took the pictures!

12. speed control 
    Hey BUG
    My Traxxas xl-1 will not go into reverse! Fwd is ok and the light changes to
    RED from GREEN when i move the stick but no motor run. Can only REV stop working on these? It was working at the lake early in the day. Any ideas guys.
    Thanks John

13. pic 4 
    sorry i can't help it
    Attached Images

14. pic5 
    ok now TOM feels better!
    Attached Images

Did you a least let Tom run the boat?

16. reverse 
    Quote Originally Posted by MERLIN V12
    Hey BUG
    My Traxxas xl-1 will not go into reverse! Fwd is ok and the light changes to
    RED from GREEN when i move the stick but no motor run. Can only REV stop working on these? It was working at the lake early in the day. Any ideas guys.
    Thanks John
    John, some of the speed controllers (esp Traxxas) are designed for cars, and in race mode reverse has to be locked out. You have to program them For/Rev or For/Brake. I'm thinking that if you had an electronic glitch, the esc may have reverted to race mode. Only thing that makes sense to me. Regards, Jeff

17. no 
    Quote Originally Posted by WingRider
    Did you a least let Tom run the boat?
    NO !

18. Bat location 
    Quote Originally Posted by MERLIN V12
    Thanks! I have a 3300 Mah battery hump style pack from Cheapbatterypacks.com
    it is 14 ounces. I'm moving it up to the motor mount because the stern is below water level at full power. I got about 10 min.s before i blew the u-joints. I bet the battery would last 30 min.s if i play the throttle.

John here's something to think about. I moved my batterys up to the motors yesterday and found that when I turn it hard at full speed the front end dives out and down and the boat lays over on its side some unstead of turning. I think it is because with the weight of the motors, radio gear and now the batterys farther forward that the rear has no weight to keep the back of the boat planted and most the weight is in the forward section, up in the air, so when I try to turn, the boat rolls over on its side and goes straight. So today before I run it I'm going to put the batterys a little farther back and see if I can find the sweat spot. I have a digital camera but I'm ignorant on how to use it and down load the pics to here. I'll get it figured it out and post a few at-speed and turning shots.

19. pics & batteries 
    stephen
    if you are using XP you can right click on the pic, select resize picture,custom and change it to 600 x 400 and you will be able to post it using manage attachments...................now to the battery! I tried mine in front of the mount and the bow was plowing water at slow speed (the 600s still get it on plane)i did not get to try it at the motor mount today. Car in shop $1600.00 for repairs. Will get to pond ASAP. I was going to use two 2400 mah batteries but i did not want to rip out all the electronics so i went for the (cheap,yea right) Custom 3300 mah. I'll let ya know!...send pics
    John

I agree, sounds like your esc has locked out reverse. I suppose you could have rev burnt out, anything's possible. Also, if the PT plows too much at slow speed, you can get a length of real small brasss 'L' channel & epoxy or CA it at the hull transition line. If you look at the full size boats they had this & it keeps the water down around the nose. Just CA it in place, rough it up a bit so paint will stick & paint it the same color as the hull. http://www.battleshipcove.com/Assets...it-pt617-b.jpg

21. Speed Control 
    Thanks for your responces JHSPRING and BUG.i will look into the lockout idea,but with my luck it's fryed. gets a wee bit hot in there. i will add water cooling and the strakes(or what ever the boat term is) when i get this sortet out. I built this as a rescue boat for my Float Plane but this is too much fun as is. I'll let you know how i make out. Maybe tues night if TOM the slave driver lets me off the roof.He did find a great spot for planes and boats 5 min.s from his house!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bugfanatic
    I agree, sounds like your esc has locked out reverse. I suppose you could have rev burnt out, anything's possible. Also, if the PT plows too much at slow speed, you can get a length of real small brasss 'L' channel & epoxy or CA it at the hull transition line. If you look at the full size boats they had this & it keeps the water down around the nose. Just CA it in place, rough it up a bit so paint will stick & paint it the same color as the hull. http://www.battleshipcove.com/Assets...it-pt617-b.jpg
    I used .100 Midwest square rod styrene, on my hull transition line. It is light, flexible, easy to work with, close to scale and costs $2.30 (tower hobbies) for enough to do one boat with some left over. I just bought some yesterday for my next boat. Putting this on mine helped fan the water out away from the boat unstead of it coming up the side. It also helps the boat get up on-plane a little. Hey I moved my battery packs back about 1 1/2 inches and it helped with control at speed and turning, but it still wants to flip over on its side during high speed turns. Im going to put them back were I had them to start with which is the in front of the stock battery holder. The boat handled good with them there before.

Took pics of my boat but I having problems getting them from my files to this location. I,m using windows 98 and I dont know much about it. I'll keep trying.

24. Pictures 
    STEPHEN
    IF YOU WANT SEND ME THE PICS AND I CAN CONVERT THEM AND POST THEM FOR YOU.
    ZATHRAS@OPTONLINE.NET
    JOHN

25. Stephen1965's Pt Boat 
    This Is A Pic Of Steve's Sweet Looking Pt. ALL THE FOLLOWING PICKS ARE OF HIS BOAT IN ACTION
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MERLIN V12; 07-22-2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: more info