Notices

Thread: 1/8 4-stroke Baja truck project (56K DEATH!)

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    He's probably not done yet so relax....he did say work is getting in his way (that doesnt sound the way it should but u noe what i mean)

2. 1/8 4-stroke Baja truck project - update 11/21/04 
    Well, whaddya know...more than a year since I started and still not done. Oh well, lets just blame the Royal Norwegian Airforce, shall we?

Sorry to say that I don't have any huge updates to show, just wanted to show what little I've done these last months (just so ya'll know I'm still alive - sorta...lol).

Since the start of this I've been pondering the rear suspension, specially the upper links. The last version of this was a "3-link" with a single upper link. Excellent way around some space issues I had, but I was never 100% happy with the way the suspension behaved, movement-wise.

Long story short, I resolved some of the space issues and went with a conventional 4-link, with dual upper links. For this I made a one-piece upper & lower link mount, which angled the upper links innward, allowing me to mount the uppers to the cincer of the rear axle "pumpkin" mount. For links I used a pair of old ESP Clod links I had spare.

Very happy with the stability and suspension movement now!

Next minor detail was a return to the long Savage shocks. The dual rear mounts simply took too much space, and didn't really provide much in the way of extra performance. Only down-side now is finding stiff enough springs for single shocks - hehe.

OK, a few shots:

Rear upper & lower link mount:

Side view of rear 4-link

Rear view:

View from below:

Here's hoping it don't take another 5 months for the next update!

Thor

DAAAAAAAAMN dude thats fooking awesome!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Thor. We(collectively) have not forgotten your marvel.
    The long shocks look good-what travel you may not get in cantilever, can come from the shock itself.
    You should be about ready for some shake down runs, eh?
    (No. I'm not Canadian lol)
    I'm still hoping for a Herbst or Baldwin Bros. paint scheme.
    Finish that puppy!!

Thanks guys, always a pleasure to share!

Maxxamillion, think I'm still a ways off from a run (the 2 feet of snow outside tells me this - heheh). But Herbst is my hero, any way to emulate that bad boy would be on top of my list!

Update 2 (today)

Yeah, hows about 2 updates today, just to sorta pick up the slack a bit - lol.

Short and sweet: Wanted some added support for the "tail section", in addition to some mounting points for the fuel tanks. So I made a li'll "cage" for the tail. These mount to a piece of alu channel that also doubles as a rear support for the pipes. One of the reasons for stiffening up the tail is that I want to mount some sway bars there, these I plan to mount to the rear channel as well (you can actually see the rough beginnings of it in the pix).

To lower the profile a bit, I swapped out the buggy fuel tanks with a pair of aircraft fuel tanks of the same capacity. Fuel-filling will require a few tweaks, but I got a plan - hehe

Anyways - here are a few shots of it so far.

"Cage" or "tubes" or whaddever...

Front/rear views:

Pose..

Baja-Booty..

Thor

Mmmm now thats a hott booty
    -m

Man once it's up and running it's gonna be AWESOME!

That near complete rolling chassis is a work of art Thor. Its amazing how similar(yet quite different) the Giga Crusher is to your scratch built.
    Kyosho went monster chassis(hi cg) & you went desert/stadium chassis(low cg). Yours could/should out handle the Gig.
    Of course we all know who's is cooler.
    Herbst paint & Baldwin paint and my prebuilt(shameless plug).
    Ciao

EDIT: Baldwin again.
    Last edited by maxxamillion; 11-21-2004 at 10:31 PM.

that does not even need a body looks realy nice!

i know your prob busy, but are there any pics of it running or even a vid be great to see
    cheers
    P

i think there is one a few pages back

ooo really?? if someone confirms that please repost it... i'm too lazy to find it..lol...

wow, i'm speachless

Still waiting......lol...
    AWESOME!

You kept us waiting for months now, hurry up

sorry didnt mean to cause any hassle, if ur not there yet fair enough its an amazing project i would just love to see it running.
    big respect.
    cheers
    P

One word: amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by josh222
    You kept us waiting for months now, hurry up
    The way your typing makes it seem like you think building a project like that would take a day to complete. If so, then go build one yourself and quit bitchin at Thorbob..

you my friend (josh) just recieved nitroboy's ultimate stonage lecture.... no seriously man..they guy works and builds this outa scratch...he has to plan, make modifications etc...so just chill.....

so how much would it cost to make me one?? lol

thats frekin amazing......speachless

like he said in the post before i would love to have one....how much did it cost to make...that is just freakin amazing and just out of this world work...you're a genious...a vid would be awesome....when can when you get one up....

this guy is owesome, I hope to be an engineer one day, and I hope to be able to do this, this is just amazing.

ALL MY RESPECT.
    Thou who he shant tell thy truest lies, shall lie within its own pain and mischief, but if thy heart tells thou thy next step, thy shal take and not fall

I need to see it with monster truck tires, with good offset...and no body. I think it would have a nice look like that, it would not be scale i already know that but it would look cool.

but still, your way, it's awsome. can't wait to see a movie...and i mean it.... because i'll download it and i have 56k...that's sayin' somethin'......lol

I am not complaining or whining at ThorBob, i am just saying it has been like 6 months now and i know you have been watching from the first page too,so don't get angry at me, i am just hoping he will drive it soon He has it set up like those racing trucks with the indepedent front solid rear

Quote Originally Posted by josh222
    blah blah . . . . . . i am just saying it has been like 6 months now . . . . . . blah blah
    i bought my rc10gt rtr when i was thirteen...that was three years ago. $280 when you thirteen....it took me from christmas when i saw my cousins duratrax maximum st buggy (the st i believe) until about june to save that money. all i had to do was buy the car. this guy is building the car completly from scratch. it could take a year, or a month, it doesnt matter. the end product is what matters. its better to take your time and make everything perfect than to hurry through it and have to fix it. i dont care how long it takes, this thing is still the s***. (dunno if im supposed to censor stuff.....=P)