Notices

Thread: 1/8 4-stroke Baja truck project (56K DEATH!)

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    whens bob gettin back?! i wanna see more pics!

how much has the car cost so far?

Priceless...too many man hours and customizing.

wow. im a norweigan too!

Wow, nice. And you're milling the pieces by hand! Superb.

Just wanted to throw in a word or two of advice (if applicable) about the pipes and fuel tanks, you might want to mount them lower if possible. I think dual exhaust would look just as nice down low as it does where it is. Another note on the exhaust, I'm no expert, but I think it would go a long way as far as snyc'ing those thumpers if the tubing was as equal as possible (lengthwise, and similar bends, etc)

Great job, can't wait to see the finished product.

man i havent seen this thread in a long time it has really gotten far i am amazed wat a little patients and imagination can do. this has inspired me to see if my dad would like to start a project. i think it is going to be a sand rail because i ve only seen one of them but it looks like a funco big 5 (if you if youre a sand junky you know wat im talking about)here is a link to see the type i want ot build but thorbob i cant wait till u make a vid and i would dwnload it no matter wat even if it would take forever (i got 56k). any ways u cant rush perfection.keep up the good work

nitro~newbie

http://www.funco-motorsports.com/images/SilverBY.jpg

looks amazing man, ive linked this to another forum and they think its as cool as everyone here I havent read much of the thread, but maybe try using some exhaust tubing that is smooth. All those bends and ribs on it turbulate the exhaust flow

I took a ride in a sand rail. It was amazing. Except for the sand EVERYWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxBenny25
    I took a ride in a sand rail. It was amazing. Except for the sand EVERYWHERE!
    No there isn't, theres grass, mud, you ride on water too!
    Here's your sign!

I hate those kind of rails, the just look weird. Way too fugly IMO.

thorbob you need to update your website with all the new things youve done to it.

holly friggin sh***t i want one lol thtssodamn coll

Hey Thor,

I’ve been keeping an eye on your project for some time now. I envy your skill and most of all, your FREE TIME. Haha.

Is it possible you could show some shots of the finished articulation with the wheels mounted? Did it turn out as you planned? What is the completed weight, that is if you ploped her on a scale yet. Also, I give you much props on the axle brace idea, as this truck needs to be quite solid with all that power/weight.

Your truck might be pretty fun to run with some big meats (or tires if you will) mounted on the rims. It kinda reminds me of the Terminator….yeah that’s it….The Terminater Double Thumper. With a lil titanium or hemitite in color paint on your lexan, very good look that would be.

Hope to hear an update soon.

Nitro Bill out!

Subscribing with a bump...Durn nice truck ya got there!

BTW...What is it that you do, if you don't mind my asking (Yes...I see the AE title)? Do you shape metal for a living? You seem to speak great English...Are you a native Norweigan? Just curious, ignore me if I am being too nosey.

yeah, so bump. pics. now. soon. sometime. whenever. i'm high

I'm waitng till the day it runs!! Kind of inspired me to go ahead with the project I've been thining about.

Whoa! So many great replies, and me with no updates.. Man, am I a slacker or what? I really hate that it takes me so long to get new updates done on this thing. Its not really the time it takes to work on the truck; I usually work pretty fast when I actually get the time to play with it. Problem is that work has kept me on the road the last couple of months. Needless to say its really getting in the way of my hobbies . But I hope to get some free time soon (yeah, I've never said that before...).

A few random replies:

"Real" Rollcage: well, it certainly would look more scale, but I'm only in it for functionality, ie I don't really care too much about looks, I just want it to work. And the alu-cage will protect the thumpers just fine .

Exhaust tubes: Yeah, they do look a bit wild, don't they? Reason I did not go with short tubes is that I wanted to clear the body in order to keep the gunk outside. Mind you,. I might go with shorter pipes. The pipes are actually of the exact same lenght, and with same radii bends (although the bend in different directions). Oh, and I didn't make em myself, they are actual 4-stroke "flexi" tubes from OS and quite "smooth" on the inside of the pipes. So I'm hoping they will flow just fine!

Wheels/tires: On-going thing here; still looking for the optimium wheel/tire combo. I would love some "taller" tires for these rims (more sidewall), but having a hard time finding something. Tried the OFNA "Stadium truck" wheels, but they are almost maxx-sized, and looked too big. Still, will go with what functions best, then worry about looks later! And maybe I'll call it the "Thorminator"

Weight: Ah yes..I did throw it on a scale. 9.7 lbs of chunky thumper goodness

And yes I am Norwegian, and no I don't really shape metal for a living. But as a stctures engineer I still sorta work with it.

Thanks again for all the great words guyus. I will do what I can to get the ball rolling on this pig

wow, Bob great work, you're really good at fabbing stuff

thanks for the pics and the write up

well it's june now and no posts since april. ummmm... i need a video.

This thing is truely amazing! Great job ThorBob! No hurry, but I can't wait to see a finished videa or even some more updates!

Maybe some XLB tires\rims? Just a thought....

Mang that is just awsome craftsmanship! I wanna see a video of it in action! Make me wanna fab up a MT from H377!

05-09-2004, 01:11 PM

I vote for this as one of the longest running and coolest threads in RCZ history.

please... more updates!
    real nice & sweet truck...

Man you have mad skills,works well with the mad scientist mentality.

Thor, you are SUCH a nerd
    How's it hanging?

Still on the World Wide Whiskey Tour?

Unreal .

As one who has unfinished projects of my own (latest: 8" Newtonian Telescope from scratch), I appreciate the difficulty finding time for it - having to work's a bugger ain't it?! Seriously impressed with the quality of the workmanship and the vision you're displaying with this project. Huge respect, man!

Hmmnnn...

Any plans for Mk. II yet?