Notices

Thread: 1/8 4-stroke Baja truck project (56K DEATH!)

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    looking pretty bitch'n.I kept thinking,how much does it weigh ?

I hate when I start reading a long thread at 11pm, but this one was worth it. Graet job so far.

I went back and watched the engine video.nothing left to say awesome.real great job so far.no need to rush.stick with it.if not for you,stick with it for us.would love to se it done when you know its done.awesome

Mmmkay..actual honest-to-goodness update time.

After putting all the parts together (after dragging them out of my closet) I tried to figure out where I had left off last time I gave up on this thing.

'lectronics.

Repositioned the steering servo mount for better angles and more solid mount. Of course this meant re-doing the entire front of the truck, but whadda heck...

Then installed mounts inside the "spine" for RX battery and RX. Throttle servo is already tucked away in there.

Fuel

Since I'm using aircraft tanks I installed a pair of filler-caps on top of the "spine". This allows me to run the lines inside the spine. Also made a combined tank support / fuel filter holder bulkhead thingy.

Body work

Since I moved the steering servo a bit downwards I re-made the hood mounts and made new dust shields from ultra thin stainless steel. Installed CF crud-catchers up front and on the side of the cage.

Covered the top & bottom of the spine with thin 2024 aluminum.

Suspension

Made a new rear suspension arm mount; replaced the old 2-part mount with a more solid one piece mount which I also notched to hold a sway bar.

Made a simple wire sway bar that I mounted to the lower arms. Seems to work well, time will tell if it needs beefing up.

Finally installed long 1/8 buggy shocks with uber-stiff springs in the rear. After tweaking the angles a bit they work great.

To Do

Brakes:
    Still got the discs & "plunger" deal inside the engine mount, problem is just finding a good clean actuating system for it. Must ponder more.

Throttle:
    Links & servo work great, just wanna improve the home-made bellcrank a bit.

Odds & ends:
    Install tons of missing e-clips and such.

Some pix:

Rear suspension arm mount & sway bar:

Spine w/ electronics & fuel system:

Spine lower cover:

New "nose" and shields:

Thor

Man Thor, This thing is absolutley amazing!! Keep it up! Here's some inspiration!!

-Bob-
    Attached Images

omg i don't think i'll live long enough to see the finished truck

Thanks guys!

bullett1818: See THATS the kinda rig I should have been spending all this time on

Fluke: Don't count yer chickens just yet...its still aint ALL done

Thor

I replaced the wheels. Didn't really like those Ofna ST wheels at all, so I decided to say the hell with scale, and installed the SinTec wheels that go with the tires. Much more off-set makes for a nice wide stance as well. I did dye em black to make em a bit more discrete though

I gotta admit I really like the stance of the truck now; with the sloped nose and wider stance it sorta flows better imo.

Anyways..

A few more snaps..(shameless posing alert)

Look OK?

Thor

man that thing belongs to a hall of fame next to a tamiya bruiser

The new wheel/tire combo really nails the "look"!!! This is such a cool thread that it should be stickied so that it stays at the top to inspire people!!! Very nice, ThorBob!!

Matt

Evil, bada$$, insane, awesome, amazing and SICK!!! are just a few of the words that come to mind. Amazing work man!!! And LETS SEE SOME VIDEO!!!!!!

SICK SICK SICK!!! any idea how much time you have into it so far?

That is the sweetest and most thought out project i have ever seen.... Congrats man!!!

That is awesome!

unbelievable!!

by far the best piece of work i have ever seen
    you should show this to kyosho or hpi and maybe they can put into production......................

I've always wanted an r/c baja truck, but I never thought I'd see one as cool as this one!

Thor, hope you dont mind but I have a new backround on my pc! Great pic's You gotta promise to get us vids once it's up and runnig!

-Bob-

That looks sweet thor bob, never thought it would get finished look at what i found.....

http://www.thorbob.com/

Thanks again guys for all this outstanding feedback!! I have finally gotten the to point where I am tuning & tweaking the engines in order to get them sorta harmonized. These babies do get hot though - first thing I did was melt a pullstart handle over one of the exhaust pipes

Gotta luv the sound though; while I was running them on a stand today my neighbour was wondering if I was running a pack of dirtbikes in my backyard..

I have a short video of the truck running on a stand as I was tuning the engines, you can see it HERE (2MB, right-click, save as)

I have also finally updated the build-up description of the truck on my website; www.thorbob.com

Sounds awesome Thor.

finaly a video of it running

The truck sound great, can't wait to see it in action. Web site looks good also, very well laid out.

very Nice Truck Just cant beleve over 82,000 people had a look ThorBobRC you should charge people $1 each visit you be loaded dude

That is amazing! Much respect. I was thinking about building a smaller electric truck like this with independent front suspension and a TLT-1 rear axle.
    Last edited by devius1985; 05-02-2006 at 05:15 AM.