Notices

Thread: World's Fastest RC Car Challenge

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    holy crap thats huge!

My motor is biggggggerrrr!!!!

lol they should make them bigger!

Go Take a Pic!!

Lemme see your bigger motor and 80.200 schulze

Quote Originally Posted by Chase023
    Go Take a Pic!!

Lemme see your bigger motor and 80.200 schulze
    Camera is broken and will not be repaired till July 30th of this year!

Bastard!!! heh

Quote Originally Posted by Chase023
    Bastard!!! heh
    lol i should just sell him my camera!!!
    ive been tryin to sell it for weeks...

-luke

Quote Originally Posted by ofnaravager9
    lol i should just sell him my camera!!!
    ive been tryin to sell it for weeks...

-luke
    No money! Spent it all on an RC car for some contest! LOL

lol wat contest????

btw its a digi rebel!!! amazing pics with it!

-luke

ps u want it free?

Does this speed record only pertain to nitro r/c cars, or can a r/c car with a jet engine on it claim the title? Are there rules posted anywhere like max distance you can use to get to speed, cuz I got a jet engine, and I'm going to stick it on a r/c car, and I garente it will be over 111mph.
    -jason

im pretty sure it pertains to nitro and electric, not jet powered

I just read through this entire thread. My brain melted pages ago so I don't even remember much of it, but this sounds awesome.

I know rocket engines aren't supposed to be allowed, but what about this?
    A multi-stage rocket into a turbine that has an emergency disconnect and some kind of godly braking? Give it a rolling start, or maybe a CO2 canister for a startoff so as not to waste rocket power and you have a very fast vehicle.

I would like to see someone make an off road F-1 car out of an MT. It cernantly wouldn't win any speed records, but it would look neat.

you cant used thrust powered. Wheels must be driven.

you could use a heli turbine, but would need to delimit it to get good speed

Its not that hard to get brakes on the car to lock up with a good braking system. The problem would be keeping the car from sliding on the ground due to the lack of weight overcoming the coefficent of friction between the tires and ground. A turboshaft like you said would qualify, and If anyone owns one, it wouldn't be that hard to beat the record. I know a guy in the UK who has the same engine as I do, but converted it from thrust into a turboshaft, and it puts out 9.7hp at full throttle in his airplane, yet the engine only weighs 3lbs.

I'm ready to see some HI-SPEED crashes!!! I hope you all take you camcorders.

Quote Originally Posted by jak785
    Its not that hard to get brakes on the car to lock up with a good braking system. The problem would be keeping the car from sliding on the ground due to the lack of weight overcoming the coefficent of friction between the tires and ground. A turboshaft like you said would qualify, and If anyone owns one, it wouldn't be that hard to beat the record. I know a guy in the UK who has the same engine as I do, but converted it from thrust into a turboshaft, and it puts out 9.7hp at full throttle in his airplane, yet the engine only weighs 3lbs.
    they turn over with silly rpm's as well

reckon a turbine driven car would perform well

just the $$$$

Yeah, they do turn at high rpm.. My engine is set at max rpm of 122,000 rpm with a thrust of 23.4lbs. Thats a mind boggling 2,033 revs per second.
    About the price. Well actualy, depending on which way you go, they are not that expensive. If I remeber correctly from when reading through all the past 23 pages of posts, some of you are putting 1,000-3,000 bucks worth of parts into your cars, and I'm sure a few have spent much more than that.
    I personly built my engine from bar stock on a lathe and mill, and only had to buy the compressor, turbine, and bearings. It only cost me a total of $560 to make a running engine. Now if you don't have the machines available to make an engine yourself, than you can buy one which produces the same amount of thrust as mine for only $1,300 ready to run. Then all you need is a car frame which isn't that expensive. And weight isn't too much of a worry with the amount of power you got comeing out the back of that engine.
    Now if you want to go with a turboshaft to drive those wheels, than your going to be forking out $2,500 dollars out of your pocket for a 3.3lb engine producing appox. 8.7hp. (very nice power/weight ratio compared to gas engines)
    How much hp does yalls high speed 80-90mph nitro engines put out? Compare that to 8.7hp, and compare proably around a total of 3,000 dollars for a running turboshaft rc car to what you can get in nitro for the same amount. And I personaly think it would be much more fun to drive a r/c jet car than a nitro/eletric car.

P.S. I'm not putting down nitro or electric cars, as everyone has a diffrent taste for what they like. My bro has a nitro car, and it is a blast to play with. I'm just talking about the possabilty of putting a turbojet or turboshaft engine on a r/c car. So please don't give me hate saying I'm putting down nitro/electric cars, as I'm not.
    -Jason

18. Fuel? 
    So have you thought about driving that turbin with NOS and rubber or asphalt? It seems to be the choice fuel combo for hybird rockets, so why not use it to spin those wheels.

The idea is simple, flow Nitrous Oxide over the rubber or asphalt and ignite it. Those hot gases should get to reving.

just curious, why doesn't anyone build a steam powered r/c car? I mean like using the pressure from steam to power/drive teh axles? muich like a steam locomotive. The amount of power that can be generate/rpm if done right can be mind boggling. with that in mind, why don you use the turbine engines in the same manner, except use the exaust.

Thats what we were talking about before. A turboshaft engine is a jet engine using the exhaust to drive a free rotating turbine connected to the wheels through a gearbox. They can put out a lot of hp for a little weight.

21. 100 mph should be pretty easy 
    Ive seen .21 powered dragsters hit 94.6 mph in 132 ft. An electric 20 cell with a 6 magnet neo motor went 98.8 mph in 132 ft last year at the World Finals. I saw a 90.9 mph run a couple of weeks ago. So 100 mph should be easy with a longer track to build up speed. I would think 150 or more would be something to shoot for.

Griz

Quote Originally Posted by griz11
    I would think 150 or more would be something to shoot for.

Griz
    Look for cars named "Bearing Seizer"

Quote Originally Posted by jak785
    Thats what we were talking about before. A turboshaft engine is a jet engine using the exhaust to drive a free rotating turbine connected to the wheels through a gearbox. They can put out a lot of hp for a little weight.
    noticed i said, "that turbin" I was following the thread. But anyways, have you tried the Nitous? It also burns well with keosene, if you have a way to regulate flow. I've seen pulse detonation engines use a small pressureized bottle filled liquid fuel and tapped at the bottom. Add about 300 PSI of N2 or H, to the tank and regualte it into the combustion chamber. The almost inert gas forces the fuel out the bottom.

what do you reckon the winning top speed will be in this competition.For sure no one has a crystal ball... but in what area do think the winning speed will be in?

Quote Originally Posted by rx78gp03s
    just curious, why doesn't anyone build a steam powered r/c car? I mean like using the pressure from steam to power/drive teh axles? muich like a steam locomotive. The amount of power that can be generate/rpm if done right can be mind boggling. with that in mind, why don you use the turbine engines in the same manner, except use the exaust.
    I'm not sure if this is true in small model engines, but you need a liscence to operate a steam engine. They can turn into a bomb if not properly used.