Notices

Thread: World's Fastest RC Car Challenge

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    This is a way cool idea!Long over due,IMO.But I have a few questions,if anyone can help:

Is it just one class,with respect to vehicles?So an MT concievably would be racing up against a rail car?

Does anyone know the size of the track(not just distance around,but end to end )?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Interstate
    I don't think that's plausible idea. Even though you'd have the electric kick in at medium-high speeds, you'd still have the engine on board, fuel, batteries, 2 servos, ESC, etc...
    Or...you can do it IMA style where the electric motor would bring the car up to speed and have a very low geared VERY HIGH RPM engine to pull the car the rest of the way..just make sure they install a one way bearing on the front gearbox so the motor wont drag all the way to top speed...

Don't know if anyone else has brought this up, so I will...

K, this is happenin in Cali, RCX is happenin in Cali. How about the 2 happen at the same time, or within a day or two of each other, so those of us who really really really really want to at least witness this, if not enter something, and also go to RCX, can maybe do both? It's better for me, and many many many many other people who really would be interested because as I'm sure you know, the students among us (there are a whole lot of us) are in school in April, severely limiting our play time (yes, r/c is still considered playing ) Think it could happen Steve? I know I requested that RCX be moved to the summer after the first one, but this time, there are even more reasons. Many of the people who would attend RCX and hear about the speed challenge would probably show up, if nothing else, to see the horrific crashes. Showing just how fast these things can go would most certainly bring many new people into the hobby. Whaddaya think Steve?

Or,to(I think) expound on Metalry's request,have an east coast,and a west coast challenge.Then that would leave the door open for an east meets west challenge.

1 more question I shoulda asked earlier: Are the radios impounded until race time?

Ya, I like crank's idea. It would suck for all of those fans of RC out on the East coast, including you Steve , to have to drive or fly out to Cali to participate. I'm sure that'd make it twice as much of a pain to organize, and it'd make the results somewhat harder to verify, because of the differences in location, weather, track, etc, but still, definately a good idea.

And crank, LMAO, good one on the radios. I can't even imagine how much it would have to suck to have your nice, just completed, 125 mph r/c vehicle smack a wall at WOT because someone turned on their radio. Oooo that would suck. Geez, I'd even go so far as to suggest that they should acquire some radios from Europe (don't they use different frequencies?) so that people outside of the stadium couldn't bust out their radios to screw things up. Obviously that'd be more of a pain, especially swapping that radio gear into every vehicle, but it would probably solve any problems, unless of course those frequencies are used for other purposes stateside.

The RCX tie-in is a natural, hopefully that'll work out. And there will certainly be an impound system. The rules also state you must run a fail-safe. Even RTR nitro touring cars are hitting 50mph+ these days, so I think 80mph+ cars will be common and a number cars will top 100mph--so safety is paramount.

Video is a must! Just to have the big crashes online hehe

This is a pretty darn good idea. I like the openness (sp?) of the rules

Peter/Steve - this may be picking nits, but I noticed in the rules there is no mention of an individual or team sponsored by a company (for example, if someone on a team is sponsored by an r/c battery company, etc.). You know it'll come up - are these people considered to be in the independent categories?

hmm... how about model rocket engines? or make a tc with a .15 or an .18 at each end. maybe a supercharger? i don't think an electric would have any trouble hitting speed quickly. electric dragsters run sub 1 second times (and that's only 132 feet). a custom built 6 turn drag motor and 24 cells could take a tc as fast as you'd want one to go, but not for very long. i remember reading about the insane speed run several years ago, where a guy build a mcallister tractor trailer (they used an upside down pan car chassis) and the trailer held the cells (like 28 or so i think)

Rockets are against the rules...There are separate classes.

Here are the rules taken from the link on the first post
    1. Wheel-driven vehicles only. Vehicles powered by thrust (jet, rocket, propeller, etc.) are not allowed. Turbine power is allowed only if the turbine is used to drive the wheels, not for thrust.
    2. Vehicles may be powered by engine(s) or motor(s) of any number and configuration.
    3. Vehicles may be any weight, with any chassis configuration and any number of wheels—but the completed vehicle may not exceed 24 inches (61cm) in length.

4. All vehicles must use commercially available FM radio gear with a functioning fail-safe system set to apply full brake in the event of signal loss or interference.
    5. Vehicles are not required to look like any type of "real" car or truck, but all entries must have some type of 3-dimensional “cockpit area” with windows (clear or painted). It’s OK if your car looks like a space ship as long as it appears to have a place for a guy to sit.
    6. The vehicle must remain operable after its speed runs. Sacrificial motors or power systems that are inoperable after a run are not permitted.
    7. Drivers must operate their vehicles from a fixed position. Chase cars are not permitted.
    8. Drivers or teams may enter as many cars as they like.

The Entrants

Entrants will be divided into three classes: Manufacturer Team, Independent Team and Individual.

MANUFACTURER TEAM: entries fielded by RC companies will run in the Manufacturer Team class.

INDEPENDANT TEAM: if the entered vehicle is the collaboration of three or more individuals operating without the support of a manufacturer, it will run in the Independent Team class. High school shop teams, university engineering departments, RC clubs ... this is your class!

INDIVIDUAL: any vehicle entered by a single person will run in the Individual class.

Sponsorship in the form of free equipment isn't a factor. If you (or your team) can convince manufacturers that you've got a car that will be the World's Fastest, and they give you free gear because they want their products on board, good for you.

What's important is the design and construction of the car. If you did it all yourself, you're an Individual. If the car was built by the combined efforts of the shop class, RC club members, or another group not affiliated with an RC manufacturer, it's an Independent Team car. If the car comes from a manufacturer's shop, it'll run as a Manufacturer Team car.

Rockets aren't allowed.

I think it's a great idea - let's push the boundaries!

Shame it's 1/3 of the way around the world from here to reach the contest...

Electric v Nitro... Hmmmm...

Pure power, it would have to be Nitro. Most likely a weight advantage too.

Reliability/simplicity would be in the electric stable - brushless and Lipo would be very fast, that's for sure.

A healthy development budget could give much more than 125mph in my opinion - 5 horsepower in something weighing 3 kilograms isn't far-fetched... I can't do the maths, but that's A LOT of speed if you keep the drag down...

Pure power, probably nitro. Pure RPM's, electric.

I was thinkin the same thing about all that power on a light car. One big problem for you forgot to mention though. Not only does the car have to slip through the air, it has to stay out of the air. With that light weight comes a tendency for the car to become a flying object upon meeting even a minor bump, unless the downforce on the thing was freakin crazy. I guess optomizing all these things is the way to win.

I hope the manufacturers get in on this, i'd love to see what they can do!

Dave.

Associated is definitely on board. Hopefully Cliff will build an all-new car, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just mods his "old" car.

The best bragging rights are for the absolute fastest vehicle, but I'd really love to see the manufacturers show up with some "fun" cars as well. If we stick with Associated as our example, Cliff's 111mph L30 could be the fastest car of the day, but I bet people would be just as interested to see what an 80mph Monster GT looks like! For me, making "slow" things go fast is always more interesting than making fast things go faster.

Hmm, 100 cells on a couple motors in a Knight hauler is possible. Well maybe not 100.
    I could do 32. Any more youd have to have like 4 motors. Its hard to find a motor that will not cook under that many volts.

But I donno if the aerodynamics are gonna allow it, lol.

What do you think? I think it will take off like an airplane.

16. Speed and turn? 
    Strange that they will hold the speed trials on a closed speedway. In my world, outrage speed and turning doesnt go hand in hand. The Thrust SSC would'nt have gone super-sonic if it needed to be able to turn also, you think? Turning with a speed-record vehicle is for barely make it so you can make another run in the other direction. Usually that speed needs to be within a precentage of the other pass to be able to count etc. That is what is usually mandatory in speed trials... Out-rage speeds cant be done if need to make a high speed turn or 2.

I have two words for RCCA.

Salt Flats

Quote Originally Posted by iMac
    Strange that they will hold the speed trials on a closed speedway. In my world, outrage speed and turning doesnt go hand in hand. The Thrust SSC would'nt have gone super-sonic if it needed to be able to turn also, you think? Turning with a speed-record vehicle is for barely make it so you can make another run in the other direction. Usually that speed needs to be within a precentage of the other pass to be able to count etc. That is what is usually mandatory in speed trials... Out-rage speeds cant be done if need to make a high speed turn or 2.
    Totally agree. That track is only a half mile oval, which means the straights aren't that long. I've never been there so I don't know for sure, but it seems like there may not be enough room for the cars to really stretch their legs if they're running 100+ MPH.

Been looking at their track (www.irwindalespeedway.com)

There is a lot of space on a 1/2 mile oval for an RC car - even on the 1/3 mile oval.

The straights on the half mile must be a good 200yds - probably 130 on the 1/3 mile oval.

That is a LONG way to wind up an RC car to full speed - probably as long as any supermarket car park and then a bit more.

Plus it may be compact enough to run a whole lap with your RC gear, if you stood on a tall rostrum for visibility.

The NASCAR's can average 100+ over a lap round there, other classes are 110+ - If you can build a car that will carry good speed round the turns, and then gain speed along the straight into the speedtrap, I'd say there is a lot of peak mph to be had.

During the planning stages, I asked the same question about whether or not to run on the oval, and was given the same argument sosidge has made so well. It takes a fair amount of real estate to get a geared-to-the-moon 100mph car up to speed, and if all the running is done in a straight line, you'll run out of radio range quickly. The oval makes the distance more manageable. Also, the stadium will let drivers get up high to better see their cars and better reach them with their transmitters.

Im just wondering, why arent thrust-powered vehicles allowed? Full scale speed records are set with cars with tubine engines, so why not r/c cars too? Just wondering, not trying to start a fight about the rules.

You can run a turbine,it just has to drive the wheels.Not the same,I know,but.........

I like the idea of the Salt Flats, but I do see PeterV's point. I didn't think of that at first, but in reality, w/ even the best radio gear, you've only got a range of about a 1/4 mile. I guess the oval probably is the best place if we're really looking for some crazy stupid spool up times. Anyways, I know the Salt Flats wouldn't work, but it'd be cool anyways. Not that I'm biased by the fact that I live within an hour or two's drive from them at all .

BPPS, salt flats are exactly what they say they are. Flat lands comprised of salt. RC cars that can barely clear an M&M will NOT go fast on the salt flats, because it's salt.

When steve did his high speed run, did the airport have to shut down to make his run? Maybe find a private airport (like the ones for private aircraft only) to use their runway for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOman
    lol, drerams, yeh, im in Ohio, so im a few DAYS from Cali..lol

considering the track is an oval track and u can use as much as u need (or range allows) u may still want the steering, just to get as much as u can out of the space provided.
    I mentioned the servo....