Notices

Thread: Any bets on what will be the fastest? Nitro, Electric, and how fast?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I think an electric will take it. The problem with nitro is that you have to get air to the cooling head. No matter how you do this, it is going to add drag, wheras with an electric, you can have a smooth shell with no gaps fo engine cooling. I think this could translate into a huge advantage on the track. Also, I agree with Gyro, having use of a wind tunnel would be a huge advantage.

Just think some of the factory guys may have better cars, but will they be using the latest battery and motor technology. Alot those guys will be limited to what they're company sells or is affilated with.

Team Trinity with brushless and Li-Pos! That'll be the day.

Maybe Team Hacker Brushless with Thunder Power using anybody's custom made RC will take it. Don't be surprised to see it happen.

The motor/ESC/battery voltage package is very critical that these guys can get things that are not available yet to the consumer.

I think electric can steal the record. They can get plenty of power and high RPMs. Plus torque on an electric motor is instantaneous as opposed to a nitro spooling. Plus the torque for the nitro is probably in the lower RPM range which doesn't do you any good when you want to hit high RPMs for speed.

If I could enter, I would use a set up like this (if i had DEEP pockets):

Custom AWD touring car with a center diff (like in a 1/8 buggy) with two large BL motors powering the same drive shaft on some crazy amount of cells with super sticky foamies and a nice aerodynamic shell.

Electric Thunder, you're correct in saying that electrics torque is instantaneous, but it's all down low. Someone even said earlier that (with electrics) as RPM's increases, torque decreases. So with higher wind drag, the lower torque in the higher revs will only hurt top speed ability. Engine manufacturers have been trying for years to get the torque lower, I think the best I've seen is dead in the middle. But torque increases as revs increases (to a point) with nitros.
    You also have to remember that while electrics may spin up to 60000rpms and nitros 'only' get up to about 35000, the cars will most likely be geared differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstate
    Electric Thunder, you're correct in saying that electrics torque is instantaneous, but it's all down low. Someone even said earlier that (with electrics) as RPM's increases, torque decreases. So with higher wind drag, the lower torque in the higher revs will only hurt top speed ability. Engine manufacturers have been trying for years to get the torque lower, I think the best I've seen is dead in the middle. But torque increases as revs increases (to a point) with nitros.
    You also have to remember that while electrics may spin up to 60000rpms and nitros 'only' get up to about 35000, the cars will most likely be geared differently.
    Good point. Still think an electric will take it .

I'm thinking that too; with electric you just add cells for more power, nitros need careful tuning, that very few people can do.

That is true, although the torque on electrics (at least brushless) is still incredible even at higher RPM. There was an airplane on BL and LiPO cells that kept up in the unlimited stunt class. (I think, but i'm not that knowledgeable on airplanes) It spun a 11+ inch prop on direct drive to fly a 1/3 or 1/4 (i'm not sure) scale airplane into incredible stunts. Now tell me that isn't incredible high end power. Still, it could be a close match between electric and nitro.

Is anybody using a drag car (rail, funnycar or pro stock) for this competition?

making a car go super fast won't be the problem. controlling it will. i must be one of the few who doesn't really have a hard-headed opinion of either nitro or brushless (cause face it, a brushed motor doesn't have a chance... sorry, trinity!) as superior, cause i think each has just as good a chance as the other.

ok, thinking about the possibilities for nitro (i'm a recent convert... from a clod to a savage). several years ago, i read an article in hot rod about a bonneville team that used nitrous oxide on their car. not as a power adder, but to cool the engine compartment. they just fogged the engine compartment to cool the engine. something like this could be used in a nitro car to keep it cool without needing any large forward-facing openings in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by cretin
    making a car go super fast won't be the problem. controlling it will. i must be one of the few who doesn't really have a hard-headed opinion of either nitro or brushless (cause face it, a brushed motor doesn't have a chance... sorry, trinity!) as superior, cause i think each has just as good a chance as the other.
    You are absolutely correct cretin.Anybody who counts nitro out is sorely mis-informed.

my bet

a dual brushless 1/8 buggy thats modded to be low the the ground li-pos custom made bullet style bod that covers all the car

imo nitro wont win

The problem with building a streamline body for an 1/8th scale will be making the body streamline and stay within the 24" length rule. Also body material will important above 100 mph may distort lexan or plastic without reinforcing.

I bet someone could make this fast!!! http://neweramodels.com/motorcycle/b...rcycle_2x2.jpg

yep, body distortion is a real problem. i read an article about videotaping drag races, and saw how badly some of the cars' front ends distorted at high speeds. the airflow disruption more than made of for the weight savings, and many drivers put the reinforcements back in their front ends.

again, i can't say with any certainty if i think a nitro or a brushless setup will win, but my vote does go to a touring car. i don't think you're gonna get a track smooth enough for drag cars or other pan-style rides, unless you use a drag strip.

Funny how everyone rules out nitro in a speed competiton, until recently nitro has been looked upon as the "more powerful twin" of r/c. As fast and powerful as brushless motors have become, the increased power of a nitro and a very well designed 3 speed transmission could no doubt win this competition. The only thing left to figure out is how to get cool air to the engine, while keeping drag down to a minimum. For a speed test like this you obviously want to keep the weight in the middle of the car, but what about putting air intakes in the front of a car (just like real cars) and tubing it back to the engine? Then the body could be solid where it counts, and still have a lot of downforce with a decent spoiler in the back. Any thoughts?

How about a supercharger on the nitros? Think is viable?

Wont the supercharger just lean out your engine? I can do that with my hsn...

i am still perplexed how few people that are into rc know anything about forced induction. i'm reminded of the post i read about nitrous injection, where some wee todd said he wanted a purge kit to get the "old" nitrous out and "fresh" nitrous into the system. ryutech, good luck explaining how your blower works.

I think the limiting factor will be the track! The fastest cars will doubtless have a lot of speed in reserve. For this reason, acceleration from mid to high speed could be quite important. I have built a speed-run car, a couple of years ago, but it has never run in anger because I have nowhere to run it. I am not in the USA or I would come in a flash!

I think the winning car will be quite light, have a 16-26 cell (or equiv LiPo) brushless power system with a small-ish light motor drawing a fair bit of current. Ground effect aerodynamics too. In fact... just like my car. Hehe. http://www.geocities.com/dave_beeby
    ->LongRat<-
    http://www.fulloption.co.uk

It's not my supercharger, but I'll attempt a short explaination anyway...

I suppose you could say that running a supercharger (blower) is like running your engine lean. However a supercharger is like a forced induction system. Basically you are supercharging the airflow into the engine. So instead of just your airfilter sucking in air as it goes, you have your supercharger rammin air into the engine and creating more power. I'm not an engine expert by any means, but I think it works this way; More air to mix with the fuel vapor creates a bigger bang. Heh, something like that anyway.

For anyone who thinks that they can SC an RC nitro engine,please read this thread before proceeding.BTW,the short answer is it doesn't work.

tires and aerodynamics. i'm sure whoever heads into this will have drivetrain issues and most effective powerplant figured out. but the ones with the advantage will be those who can exploit newer tire compounds and have "better-than-the-rest" understanding of aerodynamics.

overall i think a fastest should be an electric powered vehicle, but i think building a nitro powered speed run car would be more interesting to look at.

The funniest part on the RB site is the guy who claimed 101 mph out of his Nitro RS4. He is claiming a 25% increase in RPM with just the addition of the blower.
    It became apparent that I would need much more horsepower to achieve triple digits. There's no way that even the most powerful .12 engine has the brute force to get enough revs to go over 100. Wolf Pack Radicals* of New York offers a big-block .21 conversion for the HPI cars. I'm thinking the extra power from a top-of-the-line competition big-block should get me to the century mark. Whipping out the calculator, I soon found that this wasn't going to be enough, either. With a tire diameter of 2.5 inches, the tallest optional gears offered by HPI for its 2-speed transmission, and an engine that should be able to pull about 35,000rpm under load, the car would still only get up to about 65mph. The problem wasn't horsepower; the engine would clearly run out of rpm before it ran out of power
    This (as I'm sure many of you know) is a quote by RC Nitro. If with 35000 RPM, it goes 65, then obviously, when his car was going 77.4, the 24-7 was turning 41,677 rpm, and with the blower, it was turning 54,762 rpm at 101.7 mph. Never heard of a 24-7 turning that fast before. Can you say "shredded aluminum"? Obviously, if they need to spout this kind of BS to try to sell their product, it is not worth buying in the first place. Also, ic0nn, I think the aerodynamics will be a bigger issue than tires.Good luck to everyone who enters, and I can't wait to see some awesome vids.