Notices

Thread: check out my planned setup input wonted!!

1. check out my planned setup input wonted!! 
    This is what i have planned for the basic stuff:

1. Bolink Funny Car

2. Hacker master 48-3p ESC

3. Hacker C40 6T(thats brushless)

4. Futaba 3PK Radio system

5. Trinity GP330 VIS-Matched Team(30 batteries)

PLEASE GIVE INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS!!!

not a bad setup.. but about 1/4 the power I'm planning on running at the contest, and I know that the big names will be running more than what I have planned. Hacker is planning on running, so they can run whatever motors and controllers that they want. StarluckRC is also planning on going, and I'm sure by the time this happens all serious land vehical BL companies will be involved.
    -Nick

eek, i just realized the esc and cells you posted.
    you'll most likely want a CAR controller.
    and a c40 6t on 30 cells = 249,912rpm... you'll want something that will spin under 65,000rpm, and I think (not sure about C40's) hacker says 50,000rpm limit.
    -Nick

yeah... i was just thinking about the motor rpm... with a motor limit of 50,000 i would stick say under 75000 rpm.. because its not like you are going to be running these for long periods, but still i your setup may erm... explode beofre you reach half pace

also gearing and or tyre/wheel size is important enough to list in your plan in a contest like this.. making sure the right gearing is available should be one of the first steps anyone takes when choosing or building a chassis IMO...

edit: can someone tell me is those aero brushless esc's have decent braking??? because that should definately be a requirement for even entering...
    error 404: sig not found

Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportrules

1. Bolink Funny Car

2. Hacker master 48-3p ESC

3. Hacker C40 6T(thats brushless)

4. Futaba 3PK Radio system

5. Trinity GP330 VIS-Matched Team(30 batteries)

You will thermal you're ESC with just a 48 amp limit using the C40 6T motor and you had better get real with the batteries and discover Li-Pos. I know of teams already planning on using bigger ESCs and motors. The ESC is going to limit the amount of voltage used to determine what motor to use by rpm per volt and not exceeding the design limitations of the motor by so far that it fails. But I bet everybody will push the limits with voltage, ESCs and motor rpm to win.

Good Luck!

i dont mean to sound unedumacated but what the heck are "Li-Pos" i have seen them all over the boards?

i dont mean to sound unedumacated but what the heck are "Li-Pos" i have seen them all over the boards?
    Lithium Poly Batteries that are taking the place of Nickel Batteries. There is a entire thread on these great batteries in the Electric Forum. 8200 mah 7.4 volt Li-Po pack weighs 5 ozs less than a 6 cell 7.2 volt 3300 mah nickel pack.

Are brakes necessary???? The rules say failsafe but if you think about it, if anything goes wrong at those type of speeds it wouldnt really matter if you have brakes or not (especially on the nitro cars). You are not going to get stopped anytime soon and the brake disk would simply overheat and become non-effective anyway. Only thing stopping these cars will be chutes.

With the nitros the brakes are just added weight.

hey i am a nitro man not eletric so i think instead of just confusing my self further i will just get serpent to do 100-130 but you are welcome to try to change my mind!!

hey i am a nitro man not eletric so i think instead of just confusing my self further i will just get serpent to do 100-130 but you are welcome to try to change my mind!!
    Cool. Another nitro guy. Ditch the Serpent. Get yourself a Pancar chassis and bolt in a couple of engines

My calcs project a figure of around 180mph with 2 .12 engines pulling 60k rpm each . But you never know what I might change to improve this

Thanx for the pancar sugg. do you know where i can buy one thanx!

e-mail me with any other sugg. at: Bookrider9@aol.com
    (i have deep pockets!!)
    P.S. Rich friends

Too bad! I thought maybe you were trying to go fast!

Good Luck with the gas powered vehicle that needs more batteries to operate than the electric one does when you consider the starter box battery, glow plug ignitior battery, reciever battery and the temp gun battery that an electric powered RC does not require to operate.

what hapened to pull starts and poring water on the head,lol
    But the real prob is I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRICS i have never owned one only driven others

13. hmm 
    I have really been thinking about this. Has anyone ever reached 100 MPH even? I read in the 2003 GUINNES BOOK OF RECORDS, the fastest RC Car was 111MPH i think.

And the nitro VS electric debate. which is faster? Nitro would weight less. A fuel tank and motor would deff weigh less than stack'n 25 cells on a rail. But the Nitro engines don't seem to have the high RPM range the electrics do.

How about spoilers/wings. surly you must have some sort of down force or these cars will take off.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by corvette66
    I have really been thinking about this. Has anyone ever reached 100 MPH even? I read in the 2003 GUINNES BOOK OF RECORDS, the fastest RC Car was 111MPH i think.

And the nitro VS electric debate. which is faster? Nitro would weight less. A fuel tank and motor would deff weigh less than stack'n 25 cells on a rail. But the Nitro engines don't seem to have the high RPM range the electrics do.

How about spoilers/wings. surly you must have some sort of down force or these cars will take off.

dan
    Well, in 1992, the local police stopped by our track to watch us racing (they were just driving past) and they brought out the radar to check just how fast the different cars were going. With a standard of the shelf Rex Turbo 8-port my car was clocked at 80mph within 60m. Considering the huge power increase over the past 12yrs I would say the cars would be doing a lot more on the same track if it was still in use.

So assuming the same setup with a 3 speed gearbox (I was a BMT Team driver) today with the gearing doubled what would the speed not be. Then you take a speed car on an oval and reduce the weight, add a second engine and double the gearing again and you have speeds off around 180mph taking into account aero deficiency and other parameters which hold the car from topping out at maximum speed.

I've sure been putting in lots of thought about the design of my car. What I already know is that I'll be bringing a blown V8 running on nitro. I have no idea what the mix ratio will be yet. I suspect the car will have a funny car type body. I think the rear tires will be around 12" diameter. If I have a 2:1 final ratio and can get up to 10,000 rpm and still hold the track, I should be able to get just under 180 mph, minus the aerodynamic drag, tire friction, temp and humidity, etc. If I can net out 150 I would be pretty happy. But I don't think 150 will be enough to set the record.

I'm pretty sure the car itself will top at least 50 lbs. Maybe more. The engine will be all aluminum, except for the crank, cams, valves, etc. Body will be fiberglass, gears, fuel, coolant, etc. are all going to add a ton more, (like maybe double).

But I'll be able to make a bunch of HP.

Sure sounds like it's going to be a fun year.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Keeney
    If I can net out 150 I would be pretty happy. But I don't think 150 will be enough to set the record.
    150 will be very fast on that flat 1/2 mile oval and don't think it will possible without some serious consideration to handling and downforce. 12 second lap times for 1/2 mile car track is really fast to average 150, but I know it is not an average speed measurement, but you are going to have to get over 100 mph in one set of turns to go through the traps at around 150 and unless you want to wipe you're car out after going through the traps you had better handle the next corner at over 100 mph.

Did anybody watch Monster Garage last night? Jesse was running a stretched out Indy car made to paint lines on the road at Irwindale Raceway. I was really surprised how flat the track looks, but it did look like the asphalt surface was smooth with new asphalt.

The flat corners are really going to keep the top speed way down.

Hey "mike keeny" dont foget the car, bike, lawnmower, ECT. can be no longer than 40" total so your "V8" setup might not work

!!!!!!!!!!
    WE SHOULD RACE ON A FLAT STRAIGHT TRACK OR WE COULD GO TO THE SALT FLATS IN UTAH
    !!!!!!!!!!

[COLOR=Purple]1. Bolink Funny Car

That bolink Funny Car ain't gonna cut it...tooooo flemsy......

Hey "mike keeny" dont foget the car, bike, lawnmower, ECT. can be no longer than 40" total so your "V8" setup might not work

!!!!!!!!!!
    WE SHOULD RACE ON A FLAT STRAIGHT TRACK OR WE COULD GO TO THE SALT FLATS IN UTAH
    !!!!!!!!!!
    With the new 40" rule I should be able to fit everything nicely. It would have been difficult to fit everything into 24". The motor will be around 1' at the most.

I agree with their reasoning for using an oval track, but I also would have preferred a straight track. However, loss of signal has to be a prime safety consideration. If these things get out of control they could seriously hurt someone.

Cheers,
    Mike

brakes should be their least concern if ANYTHING happens at those speeds there is nothing you can do but just watch and learn

I'm going with a chute, plus brakes. No matter what though, the pucker factor will be pretty high.

Mike

Someone use a conley engine and make a fuel injection for it and run the thing on Nitro and supercharge it and watch the numbers fly. I'm sure someone could find some really really little turbos or something instead of a supercharger.

Real power...

Eddie Weeks

Eddie,

Is that a CAD drawing or a real picture? I need a CAD material that looks like brushed stainless steel.

One other question. I went to the website for these jet engines and was very impressed. My question is, Any idea how many of their big dollar jets/kits do they sell in a year?

Cheers,
    Mike

That is a pic from the site... Not CAD..

I don't know how many jets/kits they sell a year, but I go to 4-7 jet events
    or jet flyins where there could be as many as 200 turbine powered models there..
    Six of them in the air all day long... I used to to fly 4-6 times a day, at these events
    and have burned a total of 8-9 55 gal drums of Jet-A.. (~1 Gal per flight)

Most events have around 60-100 pilots and its the same faces year after year...
    The engines run from $1500 for a kit turbine to over $4500...
    $3000 will get you a nice autostart turbine, witch will last longer than your airplane...

The top speed of any avg jet is ~170... While the faster models can go over 250 mph... AMA limits our speed to 200 mph..

Most jet events are held at full size runways, so testing my turbo car should not be
    a problem.. (watch the runway lights... they are plane killers)

Anyway.. that is Jet airplane world.. I going to live in both car world and plane world
    for a while..

Eddie Weeks