Notices

Thread: Fail Safe

1. Fail Safe 
    The rules say you must run a fail safe. Does any one know if the fail safes for nitro cars will work on a esc. If not what do we use? I know Hitec makes a reciever that has a fail safe built in. I run JR xs3 so I hate to have to buy a Hitec reciever and full set of crystals.
    Thanks,Randy.

Anyone?

3. brakes 
    dose it have to be a complete brake, like disc and shoes or can eletric cars just use reverse?
    Even though it might destroy it as high speeds.
    Last edited by mgs9; 06-16-2004 at 09:29 PM. Reason: add some thing

I think the intent isto have the car shut down if the signal is lost. It wouldn't do much good to throw it into reverse. I asked a RC friend about failsafe's yesterday and he told me most cars automatically shut down if the signal is lost.

Personally, I would like to see the brakes go on if the signal is lost. Something like what truckers have with their air brakes. If they lose air pressure the brakes lock up.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike, they do not shut off if signal is lost. On nitro cars they usually just keep going at whatever settings the servo's are at. for a nitro car this is usually a sure way to lose a motor. It usually crashes and then the motor just revs sky high. Electrics can take off too but they usually just get all weird and lose control. Sometimes they will take off too though.

Glitches are usally caused by another radio turned on or interference, and can cause same problems.

They make fail safes for nitro cars that when you lose signal or interference is detected it will move the throttle/brake servo to full brake. There are also receivers that have this function built in as well. I know hitec makes one. I do not know if these will work on electric. I am hoping Steve Pond will respond with a suggestion for electric since they made the rules. Maybe he knows what will work for electric.

Thanks,Randy

Quote Originally Posted by racerrandy
    Mike, they do not shut off if signal is lost. On nitro cars they usually just keep going at whatever settings the servo's are at. for a nitro car this is usually a sure way to lose a motor. It usually crashes and then the motor just revs sky high.

Thanks,Randy
    That thought just sends shivers down my spine.
    Mike