Notices

Thread: Talk 5th scale here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Talk 5th scale here! 
    Hi all.I'm extremely interested in 5th scales.By now nearly everyone has disregarded 5th from beating the record.All but me.Sadly I won't be able to make to this event or participate do to other events going on around that time plus i don't have the money to attempt this record.

This thread is about how your 5th scale cars are running.How are the test passes going, what problems have you found or overcome?If you are building and plan on racing a 5th scale please talk here.

You don't have to say exactly what your using (equipment) if you don't want to.Like i said before.I only stated this thread to see how well 5th scales are doing, I' not using this for an "advantage" or an inside scoop.

Any information posts written in response to this will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
    Ken

I had a wierd idea For a 5th scale. Some of those electric scootors can move a 150 lb dude over 55mph. Take one of those eletric motors, and hook it up to a 1/5th scale chassi some how and run a batterie of same voltage and amps but only like 1/4 the size wich would give you a good amount of run time. Think if it can move 150 lbs not including the scooter think how fast it could move a 35 pound 1/5 scale car.
    Last edited by mgs9; 08-05-2004 at 02:29 AM.

That would work.I've never heard of an electric scooter going 55 though.i would be embarassed if I got passed by one while I was going full throtle(35 ish)
    ken

Is that a jet powered turbine? I bet that thing realy moves.

Problem with 1/5 scale, though I love them to death. They are heavy, which means more money on Power set-up...

They aren't as heavy as many think.Heavy compard to other but considering that most of those engines can be used to push fat people on go peds around 25mph. So i don't think weight is a big issue relatively speaking.
    Ken

An Electric 1/5 weighs about 25 LBS RTR.

You'd need to run an awully powerful brushless to make ti go fast.

Weight makes all the difference.

My E-maxx with a C50-12 cells goes 44 MPH, and weighs 12 LBS.

My TL-01 woth the same sat-up will do over 80, and weighs 4-5 LBS.

Ya but making a 5th scale electric make it heavier.Batteries is where you gain all the weight.Gas is heavy but not like 22 Ni-mH(just a random number).You aren't go for distance just to make it through a spped trap as fast as possible.So why not just put a really small gas tank,micro reciever and 5th scale servo's.Plus you could always put the chassis on a diet by drilling holes or slotting the chassis.It's not on dirt so it won't matter.Yes they are heavy and thats hard to get around but its possible to make it lightwieght and work on the power cuz you'll need alot of it.NOS isn't the answer.You need the power to stay strong through the rev range the whole time.Mini turbo's, superchargers, or maybe a 2 speed are all good possibilties.
    Ken

I'll bet my car will come in somewhere between 75 and 100 lbs. I'll save weight where I can, such as an aluminum frame, but the motor will easily come in at 35-40 lbs. The tires are 5" wide and 8" in diameter. If we still have to deal with the corner I'll have to have a little wider tires on the front also. I'm guessing I'll probably eat up a gallon of fuel for each run as well. There's 9lbs. right there.

Cheers,
    Mike

So Mike I'm guessing you're running a mini dirtbike engine in your car.More power to ya and how is it running/working?Although I'm talking about the engines that are 23cc not 50cc.Plus your engine if I think what is has a transmission, which adds weight.Plus to make one run shouldn't take a gallon.Thats alot fuel for a total of maybe 1000ft.(the turns and straight away).
    Ken

Well this should make you smile.

I am designing a nitro burning, blown V8. Current thinking is that it will be just under 1000 CC's.

When I say I'm designing, I really mean it. I am designing from scratch, the block, heads, manifold, blower, etc. After that comes the molds for the foundry, then machining the parts at my machine shop.

While all this is going on, the car itself will begin construction.

My time frame for the project is something like this:

Now until Sept 30 - Beg wife to let me do this, (which will probably end up costing me a real car), and research engine components and specifications.

Oct. 1 through Dec 31 - Design car in the CAD program, begin design and machining of the molds.

April 1 through May 31 - Test fire the engine and begin car assembly.

June 1 until race day - Build a new car because the first car crashed so hard there was no saving anything. Unlike car 1, which was built to precise tolerances, car 2 will be slapped together with wire and duct tape because there's no time to make it right.

Day before Race - Work all night like a mad man to get the car assembled to a point where the wheels won't fall off, (to hell with all the rest). Leave Reno at 4 AM and drive like a mad man to Irwindale. Arrive at Irwindale in time to be the very last run, only to find out I left the starter on the kitchen table, 400 miles away. Can't run because there is no way to get the car started.

Day after Race - Go home to wife, who wants to know what the hell that thing is on HER kitchen table. I break down and confess everyting. Wife has me served with divorce papers. Costs me another car to get her to stay.

Mike

Dude... if you have to beg the wifey to let you do it, that's a seriously red flag. If all this is totally in jest, cool.

I personally would rather have a real car than a scale anything, a big trophy and a busted marriage/relationship... and I hope you would, too.

Plus, you wouldn't wanna put all that time and effort in and have to do the slap-it-together and drive-like-a-madman thing. That's no fun... if you need that kinda drama in your life, there are much better ways to get it. Watch "Cops" sometime... then train to be one and learn how to run down alleyways the hop chainlink fences and tackle crackheads. Heh heh.

I hope it was all for humor and the wifey is totally behind you... if not, just roll down to your nearest dealership one evening this week and pick out the car of your choice and you and she can take a long weekend next year, put the top down, drive it to the competition, and have a ton more fun watching it all.
    Last edited by NotWalkinBlind; 08-09-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Mike,
    That has to be the funniest post I've seen here.Good luck with the wife and all.But I also believe the V8 is a joke.75 -100lbs. I don't think soo!Two aluminum heads weigh mor than 75 lbs.and a thousand cc????Mike, Mike, Mike.the idea is making me laugh soo much that tears are coming and now i have a stomach cramp and will have to do #2 soon.you can do it.More power ya buddy.But what keeping a 530cc Banshee motor from being put in there?either this V8 isn't the scale size or somebody in Reno has been around too much panit in the air.Time for a breack.

Well although I was totally bashing just then I am still interested in this project simply cuz Mike is a nolegable man soo keep us tuned in Mike!
    Ken

Blown V8

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NotWalkinBlind
    Dude... if you have to beg the wifey to let you do it, that's a seriously red flag. If all this is totally in jest, cool.
    I take it you've never been married.

I personally would rather have a real car than a scale anything, a big trophy and a busted marriage/relationship... and I hope you would, too.
    I have a real car. What I don't have is a world record.

Plus, you wouldn't wanna put all that time and effort in and have to do the slap-it-together and drive-like-a-madman thing. That's no fun... if you need that kinda drama in your life, there are much better ways to get it. Watch "Cops" sometime... then train to be one and learn how to run down alleyways the hop chainlink fences and tackle crackheads. Heh heh.
    Putting in the time and effort to build a car only to crash it then work like a mad man to slap it back together in time to make the race is one of the unavoidable laws of racing.

Me becoming a cop and chasing criminals over chain link fence is something the crooks would appreciate. However, I'm much too old and fat for that kind of stuff. I could run about ten feet before my heart exploded.

I hope it was all for humor and the wifey is totally behind you... if not, just roll down to your nearest dealership one evening this week and pick out the car of your choice and you and she can take a long weekend next year, put the top down, drive it to the competition, and have a ton more fun watching it all.
    But then I wouldn't get to implement my evil plan to create a new class of RC cars all running on my engine.

Cheers,
    Mike

Round my house is more like "Stand back"

http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/Movies/Rig2b.WMV

Eddie

If I were you, the next thing I would build is a way to clamp that puppy down for bench testing.

Mike

I'm married... I'm just saying I'd never let any kind of hobby activity mess up our relationship.

I'd much rather have a cool full scale car than a world record, but if you can get yourself a world record without its interfering your relationship with your wife, go for it for sure. I'm with you all the way.

Let me rephrase that; I'd much rather have a cool full scale car than a chance at a world record.

Quote Originally Posted by NotWalkinBlind
    I'm married... I'm just saying I'd never let any kind of hobby activity mess up our relationship.

Nor would I. I just forgot that she said it's ok for me to pretend that I wear the pants when I'm talking to the guys.

I'd much rather have a cool full scale car than a world record, but if you can get yourself a world record without its interfering your relationship with your wife, go for it for sure. I'm with you all the way.

Let me rephrase that; I'd much rather have a cool full scale car than a chance at a world record.
    A chance you say! Why I'm so sure I'm going to win the contest, the RCCA should just go ahead and send me the trophy right now.

Don't have a garage, and I live out in the desert on an acre of dirt, at the end of a dirt road. I'd have to wash the car every day.

I've built my share of race cars and I'm really not that interested in picking up a wrench and rolling around underneath a car anymore. There are also hundreds of thousands of people who can build a hot rod, so what's the fun in adding one more car to the pack. But an RC car sporting a mini V8, now there's something unique.

Cheers,
    Mike

guys I'm glad you're married and i hope it goes well but what happend to the 5th scales?I won't choose sides but if you started a thread on marriage i'll argue but not here please.
    Ken

I too live in the desert with an acer full of dirt with a newly paved road out side thats already breaking up. No garage either but i have a car port witch doesnt help much. 8(

Ken, sorry about that. Could you get your wife to take a picture of you holding your car?

Quote Originally Posted by minitdriver
    guys I'm glad you're married and i hope it goes well but what happend to the 5th scales?I won't choose sides but if you started a thread on marriage i'll argue but not here please.
    Ken
    It's just a little socializing and good fun. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Mike

Well first off where I come from (governor is a big movie star)I can't legally get married.This is because I'm 15.PLus I don't have a car so I can't have some chick that digs me take a photo.And I'm stupid with technology mainly digital cameras and computers.I'm suprised I'm able to do this much .For socializing I have no problem with that(I'm 15 about all I do is talk) but lets please try to keep it on subject.
    thanks

Ken